What's new

Ipod - MP3 or whatever (1 Viewer)

JayBru

Auditioning
Tis the season and my wife says she wants an Ipod. What I need to know is since I am not an Apple user, I'm a PC'er, can I convert compact disc files into Ipod type files and then load them onto the Ipod. Please don't tell me I need a MacIntosh. Special software requirements?

These questions are probably very rudimentary but I am unsure as to where to start with the Ipod issue. Other ideas?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
As long as you have 2000 or XP, you are good to go. I am pretty sure 98 is a problem, and don't know about ME. And you MUST have either a Firewire conenction or USB 2.0.

iTunes is required to interface to the iPod, but its very easy to use, and can rip into AAC, MP3, and several other formats as well.

I have a 40g 3G iPod, and bought me wife a mini for Christmas (she does not know that yet).

BGL

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jay, you can download iTunes for Windows for free from Apple or HP's website before buying an iPod to see how you like the software. As Brian said, it's pretty easy to use. Download iTunes here.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Brian, somehow I recall reading in the manual that USB 1.0 will work, albeit much slower.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
You are right that USB 1.0 was once supported, but no more.

When I bought my iPod in March, the literature did say that while 2.0 was preferred and would be faster (along with Firewire), that 1.0 would work.

So, I tried it and found that it would frequently crash my PC, and was so slow as to be unusable. When I called iPod tech support, they advised that 1.0 was not supported anymore (I did suggest that they should update their literature!).

Anyway, I am a laptop guy, so I had to buy a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card, and it works great.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks