1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

iPod help!!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott_lb, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I recently purchased a 4GB iPod Nano for my fiancee. I spent last weekend labeling roughly 2GB worth of music into the iTunes format for easy transfer to the new iPod. Tonight I finally opened up the Nano and went to hook it up to my computer. More specifically, I:

1. Installed the latest version of the iPod and iTunes software and installed it on my machine.

2. I connected the Nano to a USB 2.0 port on my Dell laptop.

3. A window immediately informed me that I do not have the latest version of the iPod software and that I would need to install the update on my Nano. I clicked the option to update the Nano and I was then informed to simply wait until the Nano finished updating itself. The window is instructing me not to disconnect the Nano from my computer (and there is also the same message on the screen of the Nano itself with the "no" symbol flashing on and off).

I've been sitting here for about 40 minutes waiting for this update to finish. I would imagine that something is wrong because I have a hard time believing that it would take this long to update a new iPod. I have not hit one single button on the iPod itself, nor have I done a single thing with iTunes (it isn't even open right now), nor have I hit any other buttons on my PC. What am I doing wrong here? The instructions state that the next step would be for iTunes to open automatically after connecting my Nano and then I am to follow the simple on-screen instructions to transfer my music from my laptop to the Nano itself. I am afraid to press any buttons because I'm afraid I'll screw something up. What the heck do I need to do in order to get this thing running correctly? I've tried calling Apple support but, of course, they are only open until 6:00pm (which is totally ridiculous might I add). Any ideas?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

It shouldn't take that long to reflash the firmware. On the hard drive based units it'll ask you to plug in the iPod to a powered source (wall or power adapter in cars).

3. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 and a 60G Ipod and it does the same thing. I just unplug it after about 10 minutes and have never had an issue. It's also funny that my laptop hangs up during rebooting if my iPod is plugged into it. I have to unplug it, do a hard shutdown on the laptop (even though it looks like it's rebooting), and reboot again.

4. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Ended up going to an Apple store (the same one I bought the Nano from) and they got it working. They first hooked it up to their in-store PC (a Compaq laptop) and encountered the same problem I did. They did get the Nano to update after hooking it up to a Mac laptop. Then, after the Nano was updated, it worked just fine on my machine.