iPod ethernet dock?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by CRyan, Oct 20, 2005.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Actually won an iPod Nano and got it today. Have been looking but cannot find anything regarding connecting it via ethernet. Is there any third party solution to docking this thing via a wired ethernet jack?

I think this is the only way I am going to keep this thing rather than selling it.

Maybe even using a standard dock and then using USB from that dock to a USB-to-ethernet something-or-other. Have no idea here, but thought I would ask before I give up.

Thanks for any help.

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'm pretty sure something like that doesn't exist. USB 1.1 speeds aren't that bad. If you don't want to deal with your computer's innards, you could ask a computer-savvy friend to install a USB 2.0 or FireWire card in your computer. You can get a USB card for less than $15.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Thanks guys and thanks Mark for looking over there for me. I have been looking at all the possibilities and looks like I am outa luck.

I have four PC's around the house under wired ethernet. One is in the living room closet with a touchscreen built in the wall. It drives house lights and music. I was actually wanting to do away with this PC and use this as my music control for the house IF I could hook it into the network.

I know other products exist to do what I am wanting, but it would have been slick to be able to pull it off the wall when I actually wanted it on-the-go. And I would not have to buy something else since I have this!

Thanks again.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

OK. Maybe a follow-up question.

How about a wireless headphone situation with a twist. I know you can get wireless headphones. However, is there anyway I could do the same thing but instead of the wirless signal going to headphones, have that signal going to my home amplifier?

Does that make sense. That way, I could be walking around changing my house music.

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

apple does make something called the airport express. You can buy a remote to control it. (It's possible that the new apple remote will also work, but I haven't researched the issue). The IR receiver is also compatible with universal remotes, such as the Harmony.