What's new

ipod docks & headphones... (1 Viewer)

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know the answer to this one - I'm not good with I-anything but am trying to plug bluetooth speakers into the headphone socket of, first a Phillips and now a Pure docking system.... but, as soon as anything is docked it switches off the headphones???
Anybody know why, or better yet a way round it, or, a dock that doesn't disable the headphones??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm trying to figure out your question...
Are you trying to use a "dock" as just a charging station?
If so, that doesn't work. An Ipod/Iphone/Ipad can only have 1 active way of "letting go of music"...
1. Headphone
2. Dock
3. Bluetooth

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
They were just plugging the ipod into the lead for the wireless speakers... a 3.5mm? I thought it would be simpler to have it charging all the time, playing through the headphone output on the dock... why are they disabled when you plug in the ipod - I don't understand?
I thought the 'letting go' would be out the headphone socket of the dock. Is my only option to have it plugged into power AND plugged into 3.5 bluetooth speaker lead then?
Is there a dock which allows headphones to work or has a 3.5 audio out?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Maybe we need to know the model of this "dock".
We have the Philips DCM230. It has no problem using the headphone out when an Ipod is connected.
I thought you were talking about connecting it to a dock, like the DCM230, and still attempting to use the headphone jack on the Ipod...cause the dock didn't have one.
The original question still makes zero sense.
I've actually used the DCM230 as a "pre-amp" going into another amp to power speakers at a wedding reception. It worked surprisingly well. The guy who showed up had "some dock" with him but the power supply for it had died. We had taken this one to a hotel...ran up to the room and grabbed it so those who had Ipods could have music played at the wedding(without having to use the 1/8th).
Docked Ipods(especially the nano) sound better than when using the 1/8th.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Funny how you can type what seems a perfectly clear statement that obviously isn't :(
All I want to do is find a dock (the Philips one you mention doesn't seem to be available here) that I can dock the ipod into (therefore charging) and then plug (into the dock) the 3.5mm connection from my remote/bluetooth speakers?? I just didn't think it could be this hard.
Oh, other requirement is budget - under £100
Stewart

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Answer from Philips - " no we dont i'm afraid as that will then defuse the purpose of docking because you are not expected to dock the unit and then also attach a headphone to listen" :eek:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And sure you can't buy docks with headphones...(not sure how many of these charge...)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alarm-Speaker-Digital-Headphone-Warranty/dp/B00779PLIS/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1346168710&sr=8-13
http://www.amazon.co.uk/KitSound-iPhone-iPod-Touch-Audio/dp/B003YUBV60/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1346168710&sr=8-10 (would take another 20 in stuff to work with headphones)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-RDPX30IP-CEK-Speaker-iPhone-Playback/dp/B006UCHLHW/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1346168895&sr=8-31 (bunch of Sony that look like this one, one is bound to have headphone)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-ONTIME-200iD-Easy---Use-Navigation/dp/B001G7PIH6/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1346168895&sr=8-32 (like the Sony, there are a bunch of OnTime/OnStage that have headphone jacks)

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Can't thank you enough for all that research. Both Philips & Sony seem to be out (checked through the Sony site too) but the first one on your list looks good - I've emailed the seller to check (after 3 returns I'd like to be certain :) )
Thanks again
Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks