ipod dock (line out) question...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ted Lee, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i guess this technically isn't the right forum, but i know there's a lot of ipod users here. anyway, mods please feel free to move as you desire! [​IMG]

hi all -

i hooked up my mini-ipod to my receiver in my bedroom via the dock's line-out jack. but the level seems a tad low to me.

just wondering if anyone else is using the dock's line-out to some other component, and if so, how does it sound to you?

ted

2. DavidKNML

DavidKNML Agent

I don't have an IPOD I have a Creative labs 30 GB Zen. Did you try to turn up the volume higher in the IPOD? I plug mine into my stereo and always put the volume almost full blast.

3. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

When I plug my iPod into my car radio, I have to turn it up all the way. Of course, this can be problematic when you put in the earphones and forget to turn it down!

4. charles white

charles white Second Unit

Ted, have you tried a different input on the receiver? The volume control on the iPod has no bearing on the dock's output. I would check the iPod's EQ settings and then the cables.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx all -

as charles noted, since i'm using the line-out, the volume setting has no bearing.

i played with the eq settings and decided that off/flat actually sounded the most natural...but i may play with that some more.

i'm also going to get a decent set of cables tonight and see if that helps. i (admittedly) am using some pretty hokey ones right now.

---

pamela - you don't notice any distortion when you crank the ipod's volume? i don't think you should have it more then about 3/4 of the way up....???

6. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

When I run it directly into the head unit, I have it all the way up, and don't notice any distortion. It sounds really clean. When I used to use a cassette adapter with it, there was distortion, so it was 3/4 of the way up. Same thing with the amplifier attached to the charger—distortion all the way up.