iPhone X pre-order and owners thread

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    David, nothing immediately jumps off the charts as new and exciting for iPhone X.

Occasionally, in my RSS news feed, I find articles about interesting apps to download. Here is one such article:

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/11/05/10-iphone-apps-to-download-right-now/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

DavidJ likes this.
  2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I need a better content blocker. They all suck now. Too many ads getting through. Including pop ups.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

In case anyone else had the same question, I found THIS price roundup today.

Sam Posten likes this.
  4. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

It looks like the UPS tracking info showed my iPhone stuck in Korea all weekend and no estimated delivery date available. This morning it shows agency cleared but still no delivery date. The Apple Store app does show estimate of the 17th. Good thing I am not in a hurry. But I am hopeful for an earlier delivery date.

My iPhone 6 is on the latest iOS from a few weeks ago and it’s really feeling sluggish now. Same with my first generation Apple Watch. I imagine most of you would be appalled I’m still using a first generation Apple Watch! I’m really looking forward to the new iPhone X!

Joseph Bolus likes this.
  5. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Nelson,

My iPhone X was held up in Anchorage, Alaska for some reason.
    Tracking is now showing delivery late in the day on Thursday *sigh*.

I, too, am still on an iPhone 6 and a “Series 0” Watch; and the iPhone is now extremely slow when loading most apps. In addition, the battery is draining at an alarming rate. My new iPhone can’t get here soon enough!!

Sam Posten likes this.
  6. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

7. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

Face ID being tricked by a mask:

Mark

8. Nelson Au

Joseph, good to know another person who is still using a Series 0 Apple Watch! :).

Well, I hope the tracking is off, my UPS tracking was not telling me any estimates on shipping date while it was in Alaska, until this morning. It said it’s arriving today! So I dashed home after lunch from work as I had a meeting. A few minutes after I got home, it arrived! So I hope you have the same luck Joseph!

Though I promised I’d do some work from home so i’ll be taking my time to back-up my iPhone 6 and try to set up the X later today. I’ll be curious if the Apple Watch Series 0 will still work on the new iPhone!

FFD90C7F-216E-439A-98A8-E8544B07AFF0.jpeg

9. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    I picked up an iPhone X on launch day. I also got a new battery for my 6S while I was at the Apple store (it was one of the ones covered with the free battery replacement program), and passed it on to my daughter.

Since I've had it for a week and a half now, I can say that I really love the new phone, the size is perfect (only a little larger than the 6S). The "notch" is really only a little annoying in landscape mode with some apps (like the Maps app). Most videos aren't as wide as the display anyway so the notch isn't noticeable on them.

Face ID has worked well for me, much more so than Touch ID.

10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Greg,

Congrats on your iPhone X!!!!!!

I am loving mine as well. Really, a superior phone.

I just wish I knew that Apple is going to a larger size next year. I would have waited. Looks like I will be spending another $1k+ next year for the larger version. Rumor also has it that the front camera will have 3D depth capability.

11. Nelson Au

Guys, I got my iPhone X up and running last night. Pretty much trouble free, did the initial set up by holding the old iPhone 6 near the iPhone X and get it going. I did a restore via iTunes because I wanted transfer music and videos. One glitch though id the activity history didn’t transfer over. Maybe because I unpaired the Apple Watch from the iPhone 6 prior?

And Face ID doesn’t always work. Maybe it’s still learning. Other then that I’m just getting used to the new interaction and the new iPhone. It’s actually a tad heavier then my iPhone 6 and of course a little larger. I like the screen.

Maybe some of you guys have tips as to why my activity history didn’t transfer over. And why Face ID is being finicky.

12. Joseph Bolus

My new iPhone is now “in the house”!
    It surprised me by showing up last night!!!

I also did an initial setup by sitting the iPhone 6 next to the X; and then did an iCloud backup restore. Everything came over without incident.

I haven’t re-paired my Watch, yet though: I’ll be doing that later today.

So far I absolutely love the phone! (I’ve already sent an animoji to my brother — much to his chagrin!)

Sam Posten likes this.
  13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The only thing I can tell you about Face ID -- and I read this on several review sites --- is that you really have to look at it.

The phone must be lifted to your face so it recognizes it.

I would guess that if you are still having issues, you could go into settings and security and just re-do the face recognition process for a better read

Mine has been working great!

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I turned off "require my attention" so I don't have to be looking at it. It's the only way I can get it to work with my sunglasses on my face.

15. Nelson Au

Thanks Ron, Carlo. I did redo the face recognition process and held it a little farther away and did it in better light. I found that during the day, Face ID got better and better. So I think it's getting dialed in. :)

16. Joseph Bolus

I ended up setting up my “Series 0” Watch as a “new” Watch with the iPhone X, and I’m glad I did as this is the best it has worked since the latest WatchOS release. The new Siri Watch Face in particular seems much snappier than before; and it’s easier than ever now to fully control the Apple Music app from the Watch. (It could just be that the biggest speed bottleneck was the iPhone 6.)

I also now own the AirPods — which are fantastic — and I’m finding that the easiest way to skip tracks, change the volume, and switch playlists is via the Watch!

In any event, I feel pretty sure now I can easily make it to the next generation of the Watch before feeling the need to upgrade.

17. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    From what I have read, there are a variety of ways FaceID's detection system can be weakened. Without a video of the complete process, from learning the original face to tricking FaceID with a mask, you really can't trust a video such as this.

-KeithP

DaveF likes this.
  18. Nelson Au

Guys, Face ID is working really good so far after I rescanned my face yesterday. This morning in the dark and with my glasses on it worked as I rushed out the door for work.

I redid the iPhone restore from my iPhone 6 but encrypted the backup in iTunes this time and now my health data and activity history is restored to the activity app.

Joseph, regarding the Series 0 Apple Watch and Apple AirPods, I had picked up a pair of AirPods last month. They are great! Quite a drain on the phone’s battery with Bluetooth on the old iPhone 6. But like you, I discovered the controls on the Apple Watch to control the music and volume. That is really cool. From my limited usage of the iPhone X so far, I say I agree the real bottle neck was the iPhone 6 not the Watch. But I’ll be watching for performance differences.

It’s funny to see so many people coming out trying to fool Face ID. Apple must be enjoying it.

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  20. Nelson Au

Hey guys, I’m not one to gush too much on the new iPhone X. :). Just wanted to toss in one more data point on Face ID. This morning as I drove to work the rising sun required I wear sunglasses. When I was at a stop light, I thought I’d see if Face ID would work with the sunglasses on. I was not in direct sunlight at that location. I lifted the iPhone and looked at it and it unlocked!

My sunglasses are old, from 2001 and are prescription. They are UV coated and polarized. That was cool. As for the iPhone Face ID settings, they were set to default, I didn’t change anything.