What's new

iPhone X pre-order and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I turned off Require Attention for Face ID. Apparently the problem is that some sunglasses don’t let enough IR in to let the phone see your eyes (required to be looking at the phone). That has to be the problem because the Face ID works with my regular prescription glasses. We'll see if it works with my sunglasses later today. And if turning Require Attention off makes the phone inadvertently turn on more frequently. With the swipe up requirement I don’t think it will.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Silicone case returned and OtterBox Statement acquired. I like how it shows the glass back. Will be interested in seeing if it mucks with wireless charging. It’s a lot sturdier than Apple’s.

Re live wallpapers the feature is garbage not my phone. It only works on lock screen and you have to be 3D touching the screen. Useless and dumb.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That’s really interesting! I wonder if they’ll soon be whisked away to some Secret Apple lab for studying?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The money quite from the article:
Without even watching it I'm willing to bet the brother entered the passcode and they look similar enough it was ingested as training.

That’s a pretty sophisticated concept, not readily grasped by the layman. I think Rene brushes it aside too readily against the practical outcome that FaceId is easily dual trained on a sibling several years younger.

I’m not hating on the technology. But there are going to be new oddities, and so new weird tech myths, to emerge from these machine learning systems.

Everyone constantly kills all their apps based on half-understood app problems three years ago. What new tech rituals will we see from the X?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I always run with a case, and since I'm on the "lease" plan from Apple every year, it comes with Applecare (i.e. is part of the monthly payment). Though it costs me more money, it's the easiest way for me to 1) spread out the payment pain, and 2) not worry about e-waste.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, exciting news, I got notification my iPhone X has shipped last night. I just checked tracking and it's awaiting agency clearance. Just curious what you guys experienced for actual ship time. The notice said delivers about Nov 17. I'm hoping it's sooner! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I really don't have much to complain about on the new phone. I do wish they'd find something useful to put in the mostly blank bar below the keyboard between the emoji and the microphone icons. Or if nothing can be put there, make the vertical sizing of it smaller so that the keyboard overall can be moved lower and leave more screen space for the app/webpage when typing.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Those brother videos (fooling Face ID) definitely seem to turning out to be a red herring. And the more I read and hear about the iPhone X the more I want one.

Mark

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My iPhone X has now shipped!!!

It’s due in on November 14th!
That’s about three days earlier than the original estimate!

CAN’T WAIT!!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Congrats Joseph. My iPhone X was tracking for the 14th as well. But as of this morning been shifted to be delivered by the 15th. I guess customs clearance held it up. Hope yours arrives in time.

I ordered a Crystal film from Power Support this morning and should have it before the iPhone arrives.

Power Support also makes a clear polycarbonate case which could be nice so you can still see the phone. But I’ll stick to the Apple case for now. I like that it’s lined inside to prevent scratches.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Shameless plug for the Spigen Glas-t film and Thin Case. I've been a Spigen fan for several iPhone generations now. It's a nice combination of protection and thinness. I opt for thinness because I don't plan on dropping my phone (if you do that, you should look at an otter box). But between the film and the thin case I don't add much weight and bulk to the phone, but give it pretty good protection against nicks, bumps and scratches.

I think I bought both from Amazon for under $20 combined.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My iPhone X case has already arrived. It’s the Apple iPhone X silicone case which is fully compatible with the new wireless charging feature.

I may opt for a more robust case later on, but I wanted to try this one out for awhile.

I’m getting my wireless charger from Amazon. I found a well-reviewed unit for just $16 (nice of Apple to go with an established standard for a change!)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My iPhone X has now shipped!!!

It’s due in on November 14th!
That’s about three days earlier than the original estimate!

CAN’T WAIT!!!

Joseph!

Congrats! You will love the phone. I think it's Apple's best phone yet!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, I finally set up my new iPhone X. I waited because I was trying to get some info off of my 7+. Once I did I upgraded its software to OS 11 in order to set up the X. Any cool apps I should be looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks