What's new

iPhone X pre-order and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Somehow my Mophie Xi charger has been stuck at Fedex for 2 days without movement. I put in a dispute. Weird.

Double strange: My phone left Kentucky at 12:46 today and hasn't arrived anywhere since.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My Mophie arrived on time via UPS.

However, FedEx has become highly irresponsible. I have ordered several Sonos speakers over the last month and each delivery, like clockwork, got delayed from original promised delivery date

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Roman numeral X = 10.

I hope no one thinks I don't know that bit of elementary school info...

It was probably posts like these in the 2017 iPhone anticipation thread which made me think it was going to be called "X" rather than "ten."

We'll see if the rumors are true that you will have to choose between a 7s and 8 in the fall =)

Actually, I stand by my prediction that they will call this one iPhone X =p

I've thought this too. They may not, but they should.

If there's an iPhone X but they say it's pronounced iPhone Ten, I may have to switch to Android...

Guess I won this contest: Two 8's & one X -- granted I predicted multiple 8s and/or no number - but I guess if you call it X than it can be considered a no-number :P

But I got it now. IPhone x (pronounced "ten").

Got it.

I'm with all y'all! :thumbsup: :D

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The UPS website is hot garbage. Can’t look anything up today. Wonder if it’s an ad block issue

Edit: yep. That was it. What tools. Out for delivery.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
At UPS now awaiting for it to open at 9. Never understood why people wait on line at the Apple store on launch day.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Setting up the phone was very easy.

HUGE TIP: Don't delete your old iPhone. The iPhone X has a new setup process. You place your old iPhone or any device running iOS 11 next to it (and it needs to be right next to it), and the X automatically imports your account over to the new device.

Of course, make sure you back up your current iPhone. The X will ask for a current backup.

Terrific phone! It has a nice quick flow feeling as you navigate through it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

HUGE TIP: Don't delete your old iPhone. The iPhone X has a new setup process. You place your old iPhone or any device running iOS 11 next to it (and it needs to be right next to it), and the X automatically imports your account over to the new device.

Of course, make sure you back up your current iPhone. The X will ask for a current backup.

Hmmm. I wonder how it works if you haven't updated your old phone to 11. I haven't because it's going to disable an app and I want to get stuff off of it before that happens.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Ron, thanks for the tip. My iPhone 6 has been running the current iOS. So I'm curious also how placing the iPhone X next to the old one transfers the data to the new iPhone X. Must be Bluetooth.

Regarding why anyone in this day and age would wait in line at an Apple Store on release day? Well, I did it twice. Once for the iPhone 4 on release day, waited from 7am till I was out at 2:00pm. I suppose there is a traditional aspect to it, there's a festive mood. I did it because there was no preorder. And for the iPhone 6, I didn't wait in line on openning day, but went in on the next day, Saturday and it only took 2 hours. There was no preorder then, IIRC.

This morning on the news here in Silicon Valley, the reporter was at the line in Palo Alto at the flagship Apple Store where Tim Cook has dropped by on relelase day to meet the customers. It's a huge line around the block. I think it's been a block buster release today. It's shown everyone wanted the X over the 8. And no denegration meant towards the 8.

This time I managed to get a preorder in, though I'm two weeks out still. Hope it arrives sooner, but I think I can wait. :). I'm looking forward to reading everyone's impressions. And how the set up is done like you reported Ron.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member

Ron, for those of us with big backups (over 100GB) on our PCs, do we still need to do the touch old/new phone together or plug straight into our iTunes backup? I just fully backed up my phone so it’s all on my MBP/ITunes and I really wouldn’t want to transfer over 100GB of data through touching iPhones.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is really OT (so I apologize in advance). But I hope someone might know off the top of their head.

Has the 7 dropped in price since the releases of the 8 and now the X?

My wife's iPhone 6 is starting to get wonky...so I may need to upgrade hers. We, of course, had just finished paying off the installments on both our phones.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this helps as I don't know if the price dropped:

iPhone 7: $549 with 32gb or $649 with 128gb. 4.7"
iPhone 8: $699 with 64gb or $849 with 256gb. 4.7"
iPhone X: $999 with 64gb or $1149 with 256gb

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh the irony. This mf'n UPS guy has been circling my neighborhood for hours and still no X delivery. Know what did come? FedEx. With the return kit for my 7 Plus.

I'm watching the Track My UPS Beta site watching this guy circle my neighborhood. Granted I live in a high density area in Los Angeles. But I feel like that scene from Star Trek II where he's in one ship circling the planet and I'm on the other. "From Hell's Heart I Stab At Thee, UPS!"

:laugh:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Hmmm. I wonder how it works if you haven't updated your old phone to 11. I haven't because it's going to disable an app and I want to get stuff off of it before that happens.

It’s new to iOS 11. Update your old iPhone to 11. Then activate and setup the new iPhone. This process is for all new iPhones on iOS 11. It isn’t exclusive to the X.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh the irony. This mf'n UPS guy has been circling my neighborhood for hours and still no X delivery. Know what did come? FedEx. With the return kit for my 7 Plus.

I'm watching the Track My UPS Beta site watching this guy circle my neighborhood. Granted I live in a high density area in Los Angeles. But I feel like that scene from Star Trek II where he's in one ship circling the planet and I'm on the other. "From Hell's Heart I Stab At Thee, UPS!"

:laugh:

400px-khan.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Taking it up a notch!

iPhone X taking it up a notch
by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

First impressions while my apps sync: too light compared to the 7+. The keyboard is too small. The silicone case is too slippery, it’s going back. If they make a plus size X I’m definitely going to that. Easy setup. Face ID is cool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks