What's new

iPhone user goes to the Samsung Galaxy S3 (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool /t/323457/iphone-user-goes-to-the-samsung-galaxy-s3/210#post_3986508
I think the biggest drawback for me might still be the poor battery life. Which affordable, bigger battery "upgrade" would you recommend?

I don't mind the extra bulk (w/in reason) -- in fact, I prefer something a little heftier anyway -- especially as a trade-off for substantially better battery life. I'd want something to yield 2-plus full days of normal usage. 1 day for a new battery just seems much too short, especially for my wife me thinks.

_Man_

I saw that Mophie is going to be selling a battery case for the GS3. I have one of their cases for my iPhone 4 and it has worked well.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/mophie-galaxy-s-iii-juice-pack/

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is an excellent video. Lots of stuff in here I didn't
even know my Galaxy S3 could do...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yes, very good. now I need a list of those and how to do them, well some of them/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like that you can replace core apps (e.g. calendar) with third-party apps.

I'm amused that whacking the top of the phone twice (thump! thump!) is better than a single touch to the top of an app, to scroll to top.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hanson said:
Samsung Galaxy S3 $100 off this Sunday at Best Buy
White and Blue only. Not sure if this is for new activations or includes contract renewals.
If you are a silver rewards member you may be able to get a refund on that price.
I am and bought two so I'm going to give it a shot.
Looks like I missed it, never mind.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. This goes against all the naysayers who swore that
Samsung's rising sales were due to people waiting for the iPhone 5

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-best-selling-weeks-after-iphone-5-unveiled-126525/

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Amazon reported a similar surge of Fire HD sales after the official ipad mini announcement. I wouldn't say Tim Cook is the Ray Handley of CEOs... yet.
It looks like the pent up anticipation was not for the iPhone 5 but rather to see if the iPhone 5 was worthy. Looks like a lot of people shrugged their shoulders at it. And I think the Maps fiasco damaged Apple's reputation more than some people think.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, I probably belong to that crowd as well although I won't refuse either one if I can get it as my company phone. Actually, I'm thinking I might want to either stick w/ a BB (for the keyboard) for now or go w/ either the GS3 or Note 2, assuming I can opt for either for my company phone. I still remember disliking the old iPod Touch for typing much of anything, and the iPhone 5 isn't much of an improvement for that -- I'm probably better served w/ a BB + a tablet of some sort, if not the Note 2, as I've mentioned in the past...
_Man_

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Typing on the Note 2 with SwiftKey is dreamy. It's the fastest I've ever typed on a mobile device. It's just the right size for two handed typing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow, and to think how much I was chastised for even
discussing this...

http://www.androidauthority.com/apple-iphone-declining-loyalty-128677/

I knew it all along.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
readwrite.com/2012/11/04/dear-android-it-is-now-perfectly-okay-to-go-out-and-do-donuts-in-the-parking-lot
75% to 15%! Yeah, it looks like users are really dissatisfied with Android, right?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The user interface on iOS looks dated and tired compared to the latest version of Android. (Which may partly explain why Apple just [/COLOR]booted the guy[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)] who was in charge of running iOS development.) And [/COLOR]the iPad Mini was a follower in the small-tablet space[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)], not the leader.[/COLOR]

Oh, I am certain I will be stoned for saying this, but
I firmly believe Apple's back is up against the wall and
moving forward we are going to see some major changes
to iOS and the look of the iPhone.

Apple can't keep selling these tired phones and allow
Android to continue stealing their market share.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I thought, last year, they hired that guy who developed the Cydia app for JB to help make the iOS more friendly or something.

Peej

Auditioning
Real Name
Peej
Well, I'm a long time iPhone owner (I have a 4, I think I've had two before that) thats seriously considering moving to the S3. I need an upgrade, as my current iphone has speaker issues and a shattered glass back.
I've always hated the money grubbing aspect of Apple, overpriced chargers, high priced locked music in the iTunes store, obnoxiously priced accessories. When they announced they would change to the lightning connector, it means the dozens of chargers I've got - USB, car, etc -have become instantly obsolete.. except for my iPad and wife/kids iPhones with the old chargers. Thats not just a hassle, its an expensive hassle because a charger will set me back $20 each - and I like one for the car, one for travel, etc, not to mention if I travel to a business meeting, I'll have to hope someone has an upgraded iPhone 5with a cord to borrow if I forget my charger.
I also hate the fact that you have to pay a crapload for memory on the iPhone. With a samsung, I can get a cheap microSD card and load it with more music and movies than I'll ever need. I'll even be able to ditch my trusty seven year old iPod.
The third thing - and probably the most important right now - is the change to Apple Maps. I'm in the US, and I can tell you it sucks. When it comes down to it, what do I use a smartphone for 90% of the time? Email, calendar, messaging, actually talking on the phone, and navigation. And frankly, navigation is the real killer app, because I could do all of those other things with an old Motorola Razr fip phone in 2002. And using apple maps has led me wrong many times already. Wrong location for addresses, major landmarks missing (It didnt even have the local courthouse that I had to go to today! - a HUGE facility). Massive fail, and I dont see how this is going to recover in a couple months - it will take years to get it to be as functional as Google Maps. On the other hand, though, I like the clean look of the maps. But that doesnt help when I'm throwing the phone against the wall in frustration.
The downside? While I can do tech as well as the next guy, I just dont want to. I like the simple, out of the box thing. I dont bother to arrange and put my apps in folders now., much less bother to customize a widget screen. I just want a phone that works. And the iPhone is fantastically easy, especially since I've used it for years. I also dont want a bigger screen - putting this thing in my pocket is more important than watching movies. In fact, if it was actually availble and in stores, I probably would have just gotten an iPhone 5 already just to be done with it. But I cant get an iPhone 5 anywhere for weeks. Or chargers for it.
Maybe next week I'll pick up the Galaxy, unless you guys can convince me not to.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Peej,

Don't want to go into the whole story with me going from the iPhone
to Samsung. You can read my story (as well as others) in threads
within this area.

I just want to say that the GS3 is a fantastic phone.

However...

Before you buy the GS3 don't make the same mistake I did.

Look at the brand-new Galaxy Note II.

You will love the bigger screen on the GS3 over the iPhone.
However, if large screen is what you want, I much prefer the
Galaxy Note II over the GS3. It was soooo much worth buying
it out of contract. I will never go backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks