What's new

iPhone update help (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My mom's resisted updating her iPhone 5 to anything above the last iOS 6.x version. She's been complaining about Sportscenter no longer giving her updated news headlines, so I thought I'd delete the app and redownload it for her. Turned out the app was no longer available, so I decided to just convince her to do the update. I updated her iTunes and then started the process, which began with making a backup. Then, it downloaded the update and began installing, at which point it failed. I did a restore, and it said it restored and continued with the upgrade to the latest iOS 8. When it came back up, her contacts, text messages and the like were all there, but all of her apps and folders were gone. I did another restore, but it didn't change anything.

It turns out she had never connected her phone to this computer's iTunes, and none of her songs or apps were stored on the computer's hard drive. I began the process of downloading her music and apps from the iTunes store, but it was getting late so I just let it run. When I go back over there, will hooking it up to iTunes restore all of that now that it's physically on the computer? WIll I need to run the restore again? I can't just do a sync since it said it was synched to her old computer, which is no longer even around. I really don't want to have screwed up her phone. I mean, I'd like to get her old folders and whatnot back in order.

Thanks.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Restoring it with the apps and music local worked. Ringtones are gone since they weren't stored with Apple, but they may be on her work computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks