What's new

IPHONE: Travelling to US - prepaid SIM with data available? (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Hi all,

Will be in LAX December 23rd, and travelling to New York and Colorado until January 2nd.

Can I buy a local SIM to use, and also use the 3G network?
Cost, sources?

Thanks!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I know you can buy pay-as-you-go SIM cards in the U.S. (though not at virtually every convenience mart like the rest of the world). I'm less sure about 3G capability. AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint operate the only 3G networks I know of, and all are closed (contract subscribers only). AT&T, which operates the network U.S. iPhones run on, probably won't let you on with your iPhone. They do offer "GoPhones" which are cheap phones coupled with pay-as-you-go plans, using calling cards. I'm not sure whether international calling is included, either.

Verizon uses CDMA instead of GSM, so your phone wouldn't be compatible anyway. They do offer an "INpulse" pay-as-you-go plan, with international calling available. Sprint also uses CDMA, and as far as I can tell, offers no pay-as-you-go plan.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

T-Mobile also has an extensive nationwide 3G network. They were late to the game, but are now there.

But yeah...like adam said, the iPhone in US is locked to AT&T right now and I seriously doubt they will let anyone on "temporarily" with any sim. And I know it won't work with their pay-as-you-go sims. Everything else is a 2 year contract with them. Especially with that "flagship" level phone.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
My Iphone and many others are unlocked when purchased from Australia.

All I need is a SIM with data, even if just EDGE.
Recommendations?
Will be there for 12 days.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ehoss67
Recent bookmarks