What's new

iPhone - so...what's the deal? (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Who's to say someone wont make a Bluetooth bendable rubber keyboard that could be paired with these phones. HTC phones have a pull out keyboard which is bigger in size. Surely the width of these phones will only decrease in size with time.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

I guess it's assumed that every large business uses Exchange. We don't, thankfully. If your mail server supports POP or IMAP access then no webmail login is going to be needed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does the iPhone support voice-recognition dialing from a bluetooth earpiece? I was suprised that the newer Treos don't, and wonder if the iPhone has the same limitation. (That's a key feature to me in any phone, now.)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
No voice dialing on iPhone. And, I agree, that is the one missing feature that I'm most disappointed about. I use the excellent voice dialing on my Moto E815 on a daily basis (via Bluetooth earpiece).

Mark

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
It's not a rumor, Jobs announced it at an all-hands meeting in Cupertino today.

He also dropped a hint about the next-gen iPods - said they would run on OS X just like the iPhone.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Gees I wonder if they will be able to give the phones away because there will be plenty of them sitting in inventory. :)

That's great news about the next gen iPods. After viewing the demo video of the iPhone all I thought of was that it would be a nice improvement if the next gen iPods had the iPod feature of the phones.

On a side note, the local media has been running stories about people camping out at the stores. In more then one of the stores the campers interviewed mentioned that they were going to buy and sell hoping to make a profit. Considering the talk from Apple that they don’t even expect to have inventory shortages I just don’t see this becoming a gaming consul situation. I think the campers might be in for a big let down on the gray market.

Craig_O

Agent
I work for AT&T and we can't even use our employee discount (30%) on an Iphone. Also we get free service but with this, we have to buy a seperate plan. Makes me think that apple might be getting some backend profits.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It's common knowledge that one of the reasons Apple pick AT&T as the carrier is that Apple is getting a protion of the service contracts.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

That and being able to control the interface. When they approached Verizon, Verizon wanted to replace OS X with their own V-Cast interface and lock out half the features. Apple told them to go to hell.

For whatever reason, the carriers have all the power here in the US and phone companies have to accommodate them and their desires for features, interface, etc. Apple really manage to leverage a truly unprecedented control over the iPhone. Kudos to Cingular/AT&T for being smart enough to let Apple handle the hardware.

And Ron, also realize that people who posted in that thread about Cingular are more likely to be the ones with complaints. Happy people just don't speak out as often, even if you specifically try to poll them as well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Ya, isn't that the same with everything. :)

Well, I made my decision to go buy this phone. I'll be going
to the local mall to get in line about 2.5 hours prior to sale.
If it's a HUGE line when I get there I'll probably go home.

I am certain there will be a few of us posting initial thoughts
here tomorrow.

By the way....

So not to disrupt this thread, I am asking for opinions on which
case to choose (and perhaps you have some opinions of your own)

Click Here

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, since my vacation plans to Vegas were dashed last week, I have enough in reserve to order an iPhone today. I don't think I really want to mess with the lines at the Apple Store, although I may do it anyway... ordering online is very tempting, but the waiting is the hardest part. :)

I was there day one for the iPod, I guess I should be there day one for the iPhone...

- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You should order one Steve!

I have that much confidence in Apple that this will be a winner!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
A number of Apple/tech blogs (including TUAW) are reporting some good news for potential iPhone buyers this morning.

A few weeks ago, there were rumors that AT&T was making significant & widespread updates to their EDGE network in advance of the iPhone rollout. Well, it appears as if somewhere a switch may have been thrown since current AT&T subscribers are reporting noticeable improvement in EDGE performance since last night. Sustained speeds of over 200 Kbps now seem to be the norm, which in many cases is double what people were seeing.

Also, Apple has posted another iPhone video, this one called "Finger Tips". And finally, iTunes 7.3 (required for the iPhone) is now available for download.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Steve & Ron,
Let us know what the demo of the crowds are. Who's buying the iPhone: powerful elite, teens with part-time-job cash, 30-somethings?

I'm curious who the actual market is for $600 smart phone that oozes "cool".

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I soooooo want one of these. With a baby coming the wife isn't going to let me pull the trigger though. :frowning:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The three people I know who are getting one today (myself among them) are IT/R&D techies with a predisposition to the Mac. Late 30/early 40 somethings. Mostly responsible with the disposable income. Well, excluding me. :)

- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Trust me, if I couldn't write this purchase off, I wouldn't
be bothering to buy such an extravagant phone.

BTW, the EDGE information is true. My buddy, Steve Simon,
wrote me an hour ago to tell me that his EDGE network is now
noticeably faster.

This just substantially upped the ante for buying one of these.

Maybe I'll bring my laptop to the store line and give an update
at 3:30pm EST.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Todd, its ok, I was in the same boat twice, at the end of the year your tax returns will more than make up for the lack of funds right now. luckily my 2nd daughter was born in mid December, so I was able to claim her for the entire year. We lucked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks