What's new

iPhone - so...what's the deal? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. When it comes to cell phones, all the bells and whistles aisde, in the end it just has to work. If someone can't get a signal in their area, the phone is useless no matter how cool. Verizon has better coverage in the areas where I live. That takes precedence over everything else.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I just hope that when the iPhone finally shows up here in Singapore next year, it won't be exclusive to one of the mobile operators -- or if exclusive, exclusive to the one I'm already with. Having said that, if I absolutely had to switch, I might consider it if the deal was good enough, and if by then they've finally implemented full number portability (right now, if you switch operators, you have to change your mobile number, whilst the old one continues to be forwarded to the new one, which is a real PITA).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
One certainly can't argue with that -- however, sooner or later things in that regard have to change. In Europe, I've never heard of people choosing one carrier over another due to reception/coverage issues. Overall coverage is infinitely better than in the US (phones work fine on mountains in Bulgaria and underground in the Paris metro and everywhere in between). Also, different carriers seem to share networks, so your cell phone just connects to the best one available at you current location.

I can't imagine that we are so backward, that we'll never catch up to the European level of service. At that point, carrier starts to become a non-issue, and you will choose on price, features & phone.

Speaking of carriers I am curious about how they rank in terms of service quality: I currently have T-Mobile and couldn't be happier. I used to have Verizon several years ago and thought it royally sucked. Obviously Verizon must have improved their coverage since I was their customer. How does T-Mobile compare to AT&T, or to today's Verizon? Or does it just depend on where you live?

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

Basically, yes. I am a T-Mobile subscriber and I've have no problems in the DC area but when I drove to N. Ohio, coverage was spotty. My brother, who lives in Ohio has a business issued T-Mobile phone and a personal Verizon phone. Where I was getting no coverage, his Verizon was fine. I've been a T-Mobile subscriber for about five years and have had no issues with their service. My only complaint for my area is that their service does not work in the DC Metro, but that is due to an exclusive contract between Metro and Verizon. BTW, I went with T-Mobile at the time because they use GMS and have a world wide presence, which is helpful when traveling overseas.

As soon as I typed the above, I saw this in today's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...news-col-blogs

(Registration required)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Where's the data to support that assumption?

I think the commercials for the phone make it look like a great product but at the end of the day I view a phone as nothing more then a tool to make calls and not as a status symbol. I certainly can get a very reliable phone for a lot less money.

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
There's a 20 minute demo (video tutorial) on how to use the iPhone at apple.com.

I'm about to explode in anticipation.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I am not talking about status symbols -- the simple reality is that most people who can't afford a $500 phone can't afford a European vacation and vice/versa. (Note I said *most* -- sure there are ways to travel very cheaply, but *most* travelers pay normal (due to the Dollar/Euro exchange rate, "normal" = "high") prices).

No, I have not commissioned a public opinion research firm to do studies, but I think it is just common sense.

Ted

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I don't own a cellphone. Personally I can't stand the things. But the iPhone is making me want to finally buy one. The interface looks sweet.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
As long as the phone is quad band, when people get to europe they can simply buy a SIM card from a low cost carrier and pop it in and it should work.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm getting itchy after watching the 20 minute iPhone video on the
Apple website.

Having a Mac is making the wish for an iPhone even that more
intensive as I know that migrating all my iCal and Address Book
contacts over and keeping them in synch will be effortless.

Come Friday, I may actually buy myself a phone. I'll buy it online
to avoid store lines.

The problem?

I have Verizon. The termination fee will cost me $175. Additionally,
I am not too happy going with Cingular. I am going to start a thread
in the AFTER HOURS area to find out how happy Cingular users are.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Apple released the plan prices, the cheapest will cost just over $1400 dollars for two years and the most expensive will be around $2400 for two years.

All plans include unlimited data, visual voice mail, 200 SMS text messages, roll-over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling, the companies said. Plan prices rise with the number of minutes of talk time.

First of all my status symbol comment had to do with the individuals who will buy it as such and had nothing to do with the traveler part of my post.

As for traveling with the phone, simple particle business sense makes it clear that being able to take the phone to Europe and visa versa was not a primary concern for Apple. The segment of the market that actually needs this ability is so small that they are inconsequential. From all that has been published common sense makes it clear that the primary concerns for Apple were the ability to gain total control over the phone and a percentage of the service contracts.

I think initially the phones will be a big success although I’m not so certain it will be able to maintain its success after the initial crazy of it being the next “it” thing to have passes.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I presume the data plans include GPS?

The data plans are reasonable. My Blackberry costs about $40
for 400 minutes and another $40 for unlimited net usage. So the
$60 unlimited plan is not unfair in my eyes.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The iPhone doesn't include GPS. That, along with no 3G and no replaceable battery, is one of the things the iPhone nay-sayers are always bringing up.

Despite the iPhone's drawbacks, I've become an Apple geek over the past two years and I want one of these. Bad. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the plan pricing - most of the speculation had the rates starting in the $70-80 range.

OTOH, I'm currently paying Sprint $45 a month, which includes unlimited data access to their speedy 3G EVDO network. And that's not including my 25% company discount.

My contract with Sprint is up next May. It would cost $250 to get out of it. As much as it pains the gadget geek in me, I'm going to have to watch this launch from the sidelines. This is actually a good thing. By that time there's a good chance iPhone 2 will be out or announced, and maybe we'll see 3G and/or GPS added.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The phone price and plan prices seem in line with other high-end "smart" phones. I'd been eyeing a Treo for a few years, and it was $300 - $600 plus data package.

I think the iPhone looks killer. I believe the iPod is distinctly superior to other MP3 players in its interface. If Apple has wrought the same magic in the iPhone, it will be a new standard for high-end phones.

As for switching to Cingular: Ron, if you want the iPhone you have to do it. No way around it. Besides, they've got a few 10 million customers, right? How horrible could they be? Maybe not as good as Verizon, but surely they have coverage in all major and secondary cities and get your calls connected, bill you correctly, etc?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I guess I misunderstood the GPS capability. I saw the video where
you type in "chinese food" and it maps out exactly where a restaurant
is located within your city.

Dave, you are right....I have no choice.

It will cost me $175 to terminate my Verizon contract (it is up
in October) if I buy the phone now.

On the one hand, at $60 per month x 3 months (till October) I
could just use BOTH services and avoid the extra cost of the
Verizon termination fee.

On the other hand, if I am going to carry over my old number
I'm going to have to cancel Verizon immediately. I don't think
I can have the same number on two services at same time.

Chances are very high that I will buy the iPhone online at 6pm
on Friday. I don't want to wait on a store line. I am sure the
Apple site will be crawling, but I'm hoping to be able to get a
phone that day. I am hearing supplies are VERY limited.

The next decision is the 4GB or 8GB phone. Really, I will not
use the phone as an iPod as 8GB is just not enough storage space.
If I can save $100 and get the 4GB that might work out better for me.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Couldn't you keep both phones, temporarily have your calls Forwarded to your iPhone from your VZW phone, then when your Verizon contract is up, change your AT&T phone # by having your Verizon # ported over in exchange for your AT&T #?

Ive been debating if I'm going to switch from Verizon or not. problem is, is the iPhone realistic for me, or is it for flashy purposes? I could always just skin an HTC phone to mimic some aspects of the iPhone, or I could wait it out another year for all the knock offs and one ups all the cell carriers will try to produce.

I agree even at 8gigs, its barely touching my music collection. so I'd still need to carry an mp3 player when I need one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks