What's new

iPhone - so...what's the deal? (3 Viewers)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Ron, welcome to Jobs' Reality Distortion Field. Isn't it great? :)

I bought my first iMac over a year ago. Steve just keeps pulling me in with these wonderful products. I think if he released an iToilet I'd probably buy one.

Just pulled the trigger on the 8 GB version and it should be shipped in a few weeks. It's going to be a long wait.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
you guys are making this Canadian a little moist, actually...

Ron... I'm sure it's an evil corporate plan to take all of your (and the rest of our) money! look at the dent in your wallet since January! :)

wow - I can't wait until Apple and Rogers get their act together here in the north. I want this thing.

bad.

Hopefully by then, this thing will have 3G.

also... I can't believe some of the discussions I'm reading about people loving their CDMA carriers in the states... that just seems so absolutely backwards from Canada and rest of the world thinking that.... I just don't know what to say. CDMA is a dead format. They've taken it as far as it can possibly go. come see the light of what GSM can offer you with 3G networks!

Oren

Stunt Coordinator

It has a proximity sensor, so when you put it to your ear it shuts off the screen, and when you pull it away it lights back up.

I got my iphone Friday evening, and went through the itunes signup process, but I was among some other folks whose process would take longer. I was switching from Tmobile.

The phone got activated Saturday afternoon, and at that point I could make but not receive calls.

The Tmobile number got ported as of Sunday morning. So, I'm fully operational now.

I'm very impressed with it. The keyboard takes some adjustment. Mainly, like Mac OSX generally, you have to accept that it works with you, not against you. Remember, Jobs lived in a monastary for a year. It's a Zen thing. It is NOT the touchscreen you've seen on other phones (Treos, etc.), photocopiers, kiosks, etc. This is much, much better.

The screen is awesome - sharp and bright. Size and weight are perfect.

The GUI is silky smooth.

Works great with WiFi. Use Edge only in a pinch. Definitely seek out hotspots. Once you connect to a hotspot, it remembers it and automatically connects.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend it.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I got my 8GB iPhone on Friday night. Got off work at 8pm, drove to the newest Apple Store in San Diego County (the Chula Vista one, that many people don't even know is there yet), walked in the door past dozens of folks playing with the demo iPhones, got in the "line" to buy one (there was nobody else in line), got immediately directed to the check-out counter, paid, and walked out of the store with my new iPhone and a Griffin Elan Leather Holster Case (great case!). Total time waiting in line: 0 minutes Total time in store: 5 minutes

At home, it took about 2 hours for my iPhone to get activated. I was porting a number from Verizon so THAT took even longer. About 25 hours or so. When I woke up this morning, it had finally been ported to my AT&T account.

This new toy is amazing! I feel like I've been teleported to the 23rd century and this is some new secret agent device. I was showing it off at work on Saturday and everbody wanted to hold it and touch it. Tough! They can get their own! :)

To add to the fun, I used a computer-generated voice on my Mac to record my voicemail greeting. This is the text I used:

"Hello! This is Mark's iPhone! I'm sorry, Mark is not available to take your call. Please leave a message. I'll have Mark call you back as soon as possible. Thanks for calling!"

A bit pretentious but I can't help "bragging" that I've got an iPhone! :)

Mark

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Sorry I didn't get any more photos posted fellas. I got too excited I guess and wanted to play w/ the iPhone as much as I can. I don't think I even took anymore photos other than those that were posted earlier.

Using the phone today has been a breeze. Having a small issue with pairing/connecting it to my vehicles BT stereo (for hands free use) and I am investigating that now.

Great device!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I had to remember how to make my old Motorola BT headset discoverable, once I did, it was easy to pair.

I have my eye on the new Apple bluetooth headset, mostly because it charges on its own custom iPhone/headset dock. That makes it very handy--and one less power adapter to wrangle.

I know, I know, paying a premium for simplicity, but that's the way it is! Heck, with iPhone, it is a way of life! :D

- Steve

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So, how do y'all deal without voice dialing on your iPhone? And more specifically, how do you dial while driving?

This is the one missing feature I find most surprising in the iPhone: for a $600 phone to lack what even a basic $100 phone has; for such a sophisticated phone to lack a key mobility feature; and even irresponsible (as my wife noted) given the increasing regulations for hands-free calling while driving.

Does the iPhone have features that compensate for this weakness?

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
One review said you had to go through around 6 steps just to dial a number, I guess there's no speed dialing available?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
All good things to those who wait...

Since the unit is built on Mac OS X, it stands to reason that core technologies like Speech Recognition are only a matter of time... only better.

- Steve

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Fellow iPhone users: What are you doing w/ your old cell phone?

I have a Samsung Blackjack...but I really can't figure out it's value (just by checking ebay)...as it seems scammers are all over the board bidding on these type of items.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

There is. You can place your favorite contacts in a folder
for quick access. Not as simplistic as hitting a number on
the front of the phone, mind you, but certainly just as easy.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

This is the first cell phone I've ever owned. I did have one back in the late 90's that was given to me by my employer when I was on call, but after quitting that job I swore I'd never have another one.

My wife has had one for years. The only problem is I end up having to set it up for her, as well as show her how to use some of its features.

It took Apple and the iPhone to convince me to buy one.

ErichH

Screenwriter
The boards at apple are screaming with demands to fix all of the problems discussed here and more.
Look for an update soon to fix at least a few.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Just got the e-mail from the Apple store telling me my 8GB iPhone will ship by July 13. The wait is going to kill me. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Todd,

Perhaps there is something I missed....

Why not go to the store and get one. I hear there are still
plenty in stock.

You can still cancel your order from Apple. Hard to believe they
are taking 2 weeks to ship it out.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The nearest store is about an hour away. With my wife about to give birth anytime in the next few weeks, we're sticking close to home and not doing a lot of traveling. Plus, this gives me time to get my contacts, media, etc. ready for syncing when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks