What's new

iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As an android user for many years now, I have decided to get a 12 Pro to give iOS a try once again. I just feel like Google's pixel series has totally dropped the ball on innovation. Apple's processor lead is so substantial that it's clear they are the leader by a huge margin at the moment. So, while I'll still have a Pixel 4 XL as my fallback, I'm excited to receive a 12 Pro next week and use an iPhone again for the first time since the 6S.

Congrats on that move, Dave!

I know I always look at the grass on the other side of the fence. There are times I have wanted to go back to Android, but I am so vested in Apple right now and I think their watch is the best product they have made to date and it doesn't work with that OS.

I think iOS 14 has brought Apple so much closer to letting its users customize their phones. The phones themselves are remarkable. When I bought Samsung phones they always crashed or I had some issues with them. Not with the iPhone.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm on the verge (literally at the checkout screen) of joining the party. AT&T will give me $700 in trade in credits for my X, which means a Pacific Blue Pro Max 512GB will be 23.33 additional for 30 months.

Update: Ordered. Now I have one week to so some shopping for a screen protector and case for the Pro Max. According to AT&T site expected to arrive next Friday. Let's see.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm on the verge (literally at the checkout screen) of joining the party. AT&T will give me $700 in trade in credits for my X, which means a Pacific Blue Pro Max 512GB will be 23.33 additional for 30 months.

Update: Ordered. Now I have one week to so some shopping for a screen protector and case for the Pro Max. According to AT&T site expected to arrive next Friday. Let's see.

Congrats!!!

Curious. Why the 512GB? I downsized from 512GB to 256GB as I just wasn't using the space. I will say the 256GB will be a bit tight but I thought I'd try it for a year.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Several reasons for always getting the max amount of memory for me:
  • I have a large music library that I've converted using the highest AAC codec (320) and has been level matched using AACGain so that I don't have to play the "volume adjust game" that I always move to my various. This will be the first time I can load the entire library into an iPhone and still have room for everything else.
  • Tons of photos. Yes I back them up to my Mac. But I also like having them at my fingertips.
  • I plan to use the 4K video functionality to great degree (which will be a memory hog) so I don't want to worry about space while taking long videos
My hope is that 12 Pro Max's camera and video is of sufficient quality that when I'm on vacation (assuming pandemic ends at some point) I can leave my DSLR in the hotel most of the time unless I know I'm going to want the highest quality photo/zoom shots of important monuments and sites. I specifically held out for the PM knowing that it had a larger sensor, better stabilization, and larger pixels (which captures more light, and results in less noise in low-light environments). Let's hope the device lives up to the Apple marketing (in fairness, my iPhones generally have).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Several reasons for always getting the max amount of memory for me:
  • I have a large music library that I've converted using the highest AAC codec (320) and has been level matched using AACGain so that I don't have to play the "volume adjust game" that I always move to my various. This will be the first time I can load the entire library into an iPhone and still have room for everything else.
  • Tons of photos. Yes I back them up to my Mac. But I also like having them at my fingertips.
  • I plan to use the 4K video functionality to great degree (which will be a memory hog) so I don't want to worry about space while taking long videos
My hope is that 12 Pro Max's camera and video is of sufficient quality that when I'm on vacation (assuming pandemic ends at some point) I can leave my DSLR in the hotel most of the time unless I know I'm going to want the highest quality photo/zoom shots of important monuments and sites.

That makes perfect sense. I was really hesitant to downsize for some of the same reasons you cited above. I have a year to decide whether it's worth saving the money or not as I am in the upgrade program.

Really happy you made the move to the 12 Pro Max. We will all get ours next week and have lots to talk about.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to pretend my reasoning makes perfect sense (and it definitely doesn't apply to the vast majority of users). But hey, we only go through this life once. Why worry? :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I went with my old standby "Spigen" for a case and screen protector. They're not the absolute best, but they tend to make really good products at fair prices. Case arrives tomorrow, protector between 12-16, so hopefully more towards the earlier than later date. Otherwise I'll be encasing my Pro Max in silk until it arrives. LOL

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, all congrats on your new iPhone 12 Pro Max purchases.

I was having such a tough time deciding between the 12 Pro and the 12 Pro Max. I know there is a camera edge the Max has over the 12 Pro. For me it came down to the size of the iPhone I want to carry.

My iPhone 12 Pro is supposed to arrive today. Though the Apple Store app isn’t able to display my orders, it said to come back later. I guess with the new additions to the Apple Store, it’s not finished updating everything. I’m figuring the iphone 12 Pro is a large enough upgrade from my X in terms of camera capabilities. So I figure it’s enough and in two years, the next iPhones will have all the capabilities of the Pro Max. :). I use a proper DSLR for serious photography. But yes, carrying it around is not as easy as an iPhone. I did see an iPhone 12 Pro review made by a photographer and to see images he took with the 12 Pro compared to the X, I could really see a large difference. He will of course review the 12 Pro Max.

i don’t know if this guy’s reviews are considered good, but he Did a nice job of showing the iPhone camera capabilities comparing the X, 11 and 12.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nelson, congrats on your phone! A lot of people went with the Pro over the Max for ease of handling.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That video gives me great hope for an even larger jump for the 12 Pro Max. Given that it has both a larger sensor *and* larger pixel size, it's picture quality should be a noticeable improvement on top what already looks to be a huge jump (for my, from my X) to the 12. And that's not to mention the improvement on the wide shots which has sensor-shift optical image stabilization for the Pro Max.

I do admit I'm not looking forward to having a larger phone...but I also admit as I'm aging the bigger screen is also welcome. (and yes I realize you can increase font, but I don't want a "grandpa" phone font size just yet...)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron, I have my eye to the front door. The iPhone 12 Pro should arrive sometime soon.

Carlo, that video was pretty eye opening seeing the images from the new cameras.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, which is why I'm willing to put up with a larger phone, because being a DSLR user like you, we both know that larger sensor + larger pixel size usually yields a marked improvement in picture quality, and the 12 Pro Max has that advantage over the standard 12 Pro (which looks amazing in that video compared to the X). So the 12 Pro Max should look even more amazing. I'm now super-hyped for next Friday.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've never ordered direct from AT&T before, I usually order through Apple. Apple does a really good job in saying "you'll get your stuff by ____ date" and most of the time meet or even beat that deadline. AT&T's site said 11/13, but on my "we're working on your order" email I just received, it says
Expected delivery date (subject to availability):
11/13/2020
That last part really makes me nervous. Subject to availability. I really hope they have some idea how many Apple has allocated to them, and that they're able to "save our place in line". Not long after I placed my order, I checked Apple's official site, and the exact model (color and memory size) that I ordered was still scheduled for 11/13/2020 availability. So I'm hoping my AT&T-placed order somehow has entered Apple's supply chain order and "saved" one for me. I'm going to be bummed if it isn't, and Apple ends up fulfilling their direct orders before their partner carrier's orders.

Has anyone ordered direct from a carrier before (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) and has your phone generally arrived on the expected date?

(EDIT, I just checked now, a couple of hours after I've ordered, and Apple's site is still showing my exact model as delivering on 11/13, so come on, AT&T, let's make sure my order is in there!)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm holding off until reviews, at least. The new iPad Air scratched the itch for what I most wanted to home-use new gadget. And seeing the first-look photos, and seeing anew how honking big the Max is...I need to see reviews about its cameras before I decide what to buy.

I hope everyone who ordered today post photos and personal reviews on their new phones next week! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, checking Apple's site, my exact model is still on track to ship 11/13...either they have amped up their supply chain (usually by middle of the first pre-order day, shipping estimates have greatly slipped from release date) or demand is not what they thought it'd be.

Either way, I just hope I get my iPhone next Friday! (I know, very selfish sounding)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
6BBDD3E1-B31C-4D30-9E2F-E77E7A0D9985.jpeg
Case arrived today. I think I’ll be okay with the size difference. That is my X still in a similar Spigen case inside the new case. Just hoping Spigen got the dimensions correct in advance and that it’s a perfect fit when the 12 Pro Max arrives (which, fingers crossed, has updated to Preparing to ship on AT&T’s site).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My iPhone 12 Pro, Apple silicon case and 20 watt charger arrived during the week. But the MagSafe charger has not shipped yet. i can only guess they are not available yet. I’m expecting the Power Support screen protection film today.

it’s been three years since I upgraded to a new iPhone. I usually back up to my Mac Pro via lightning cable. I upgraded from my iPhone 6 to the iPhone X, I recalled you just held the two iPhones next to each other and the new phone does the transfer of the data. I assume it will be the same for the iPhone 12.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully Spigen got the dimensions right (I assume they did, they historically do a good job of it, not sure if Apple gives the dimensions out to 3rd party case makers or if they have a mole in the manufacturing facilities), and I too was surprised more at the lack of overall width increase. I knew it'd be bigger, and it's certainly significantly taller. We'll see when the phone ultimately arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks