What's new

iPhone 12 Cases (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, I wanted to order the clear. But I didn’t like the white ring in the back. I figured that was to hide the magnetic ring molded in the case. So I got the black one.

I ordered the silver iPhone 12 Pro, so the back of the iPhone 12 Pro is white, so maybe that white ring is not so obvious. Looking at the gallery images on the Apple site, the clear case does look ok on the Silver white iPhone 12 Pro. I figured I might get one of those clear cases too. :).

Understood. I would have bought the Apple clear one as well but hate that ugly Magsafe ring in the back.

I am still looking for the perfect clear case. I found a few. If any of these strikes anyone in a positive manner let me know...

I am sort of leaning toward this case, but it's basically a plastic case like Incipio's. I don't like the side design of the Incipio cases. This is plainer...

Here is a great video of the above case for the iPhone

It seems to me if you want a flexible clear case you are giving up protection. Go with the harder cases you are giving up the nice feel in the hand but significantly increasing the level of protection

Here is what I just found out that may change your entire perspective: TPU cases (the rubbery kind) will yellow over time. For that reason, a clear hard case is probably a better decision.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are you giving up anything by not having the magnet in the case? Is Apple’s case magnet just decorative or does it benefit mag safe performance?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Are you giving up anything by not having the magnet in the case? Is Apple’s case magnet just decorative or does it benefit mag safe performance?

Magsafe does not interest me. At least, I don't think so at the moment. I'm happy with the charging speed of my current charger which I paid $130 for:

I suspect for anyone interested in Magsafe, the Apple case is the better choice. It makes for a direct connection to the body of the phone.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I bought the below case for my 11 pro max. It is clear but the edges or is bumper area more accurate are tinted green which goes well my my green phone. The bumper area is firm but still has give. I’ve dropped my phone about 10 times and it’s still truckin’ on. I’d look at this case for a 12 if they are making them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I bought the below case for my 11 pro max. It is clear but the edges or is bumper area more accurate are tinted green which goes well my my green phone. The bumper area is firm but still has give. I’ve dropped my phone about 10 times and it’s still truckin’ on. I’d look at this case for a 12 if they are making them.

Yeah, just did a search and so far, on Amazon, there isn't an iPhone 12 case available

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
MagSafe is an unknown for me as I do not have the new iPhone yet. i definitely want that functionality. So an Apple case makes sense. I also really like that there appears to be magnets in the case too, so I want to take advantage of the magnets to use on a car mount to attach the phone.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

FWIW, this is the iPhone 11 case I've been using since mid-Feb... :cool: :D

The silent mode switch is a tad hard to flip as the bumper (t)rim is thicker/deeper than the (cheaper) Spigen cases (and their copycats?), but I do think it offers bit more protection than the Spigen ones. At first, I wasn't too crazy about the slightly larger feel in hand, but have gotten used to it. Some might also feel safer about the grippier, textured feel...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's a cute case, Man!

It's my style -- I have a baby Yoda plush in my office -- but not for a phone case.

One week till iPhone 12 Pro Max is released and still have no idea what case to get. Probably the Caudabe Lucid Clear but I want to read a few more reviews today first.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
OKAY! UNCLE! UNCLE!

I give in! I am buying the Apple Clear Magsafe Case. This video convinced me

Doesn't look as awful as I thought. The case is very durable, is not supposed to yellow, and has a raised lip across the front so it offers protection when face down on a table and (perhaps) a minor fall on the front.

Most of all, it is a recognized Apple accessory so when you attach it, you get an animated screen response.

I figure at some point I will buy a single Magsafe charger for this.

Don't think it's available for the Pro Max as of yet

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for posting that review Ron. The clear case looks pretty good. The black silicone case arrived today. I have not opened it yet. I’ll wait tIl the iPhone arrives.

what’s interesting about seeing that review I believe she said the case is polycarbonate with a soft coating. I believe she referred to the inside being soft to protect the iPhone finish. In the reviews of the iPhone 12 silicone cases, there is a felt like material on the inside, so I know that’s protecting the finish of the phone.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
OKAY! UNCLE! UNCLE!

I give in! I am buying the Apple Clear Magsafe Case. This video convinced me

Doesn't look as awful as I thought. The case is very durable, is not supposed to yellow, and has a raised lip across the front so it offers protection when face down on a table and (perhaps) a minor fall on the front.

Most of all, it is a recognized Apple accessory so when you attach it, you get an animated screen response.

I figure at some point I will buy a single Magsafe charger for this.

Don't think it's available for the Pro Max as of yet

Thanks for sharing. I’ve been looking at the ones you’ve been posting. I think after this I’m going to go with the Apple one to start. I say to start, but I’ve only had one case for my X, a Spigen that’s served me well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Though my clear Apple 12 Pro Max case has shipped, I plan to possibly return it.

There are quite a few reviews out there from people who don't like the case, particularly the big ring on the back. There are also some reviews that chastise the side buttons and that you really need to push hard on them for volume, waking the phone, etc. I am going to wait for more reviews. I don't know if I want to open the package as it will be much easier to return it untouched.

I am part of an Amazon review program and just had the opportunity to nab two cases which have both received stellar ratings. I will probably do a video review as part of my obligation to Amazon and will post it here next week. Apple is not offering a folio case for the iPhone 12 Pro models. I did select a 3rd party folio/wallet case to review and am a bit skeptical over its quality given the price point but since it was offered as a review product, I decided to give it a try. I will let you know what I think.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Though my clear Apple 12 Pro Max case has shipped, I plan to possibly return it.

There are quite a few reviews out there from people who don't like the case, particularly the big ring on the back. There are also some reviews that chastise the side buttons and that you really need to push hard on them for volume, waking the phone, etc. I am going to wait for more reviews. I don't know if I want to open the package as it will be much easier to return it untouched.

I am part of an Amazon review program and just had the opportunity to nab two cases which have both received stellar ratings. I will probably do a video review as part of my obligation to Amazon and will post it here next week. Apple is not offering a folio case for the iPhone 12 Pro models. I did select a 3rd party folio/wallet case to review and am a bit skeptical over its quality given the price point but since it was offered as a review product, I decided to give it a try. I will let you know what I think.

No idea about the other cases, but I've bought a couple of those essentially off-brand folio style cases before mainly for my mother (for a little more than that current price). Some of them -- mainly the more expensive ones -- do look and feel nice for the most part, but I wouldn't personally trust them for protection more than the cheaper Spigen-type cases I've been using forever now. I find their protection along edges to be weak and the phone seems more likely to pop out of the case (than the Spigen-type) when dropped. Plus I suspect their usage is actually more likely to cause someone to awkward lose hold and drop it (possibly often in worse ways) than the simpler cases.

My mother uses that style for both her iPhone 7 Plus and old iPad Mini, and both had screens cracked (from typical drops) starting from/near a corner or edge w/in 1-2 years of ownership. My mother isn't clumsy at all, but will drop her devices very sporadically like most, including myself. She even uses screen protectors apparently to no avail.

Meanwhile, I've never cracked (nor significantly scratched) a screen in many years of using mobile devices mostly w/ Spigen-type cases (and usually no screen protector), and neither has anyone else in my family except my son who (does use screen protectors, but) seems to chronically break or lose his portables like it's some "habit", LOL. It's kinda "funny" that's the case since our clumsiest kid still hasn't actually broken nor permanently lost a device -- she's temporarily lost her devices, glasses, etc all over the house for sure... but usually found calmly and oft-swiftly-enough by Sherlock Dad, LOL...

_Man_

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ron, if it makes any difference, the Apple black silicon case I’m using on my iPhone 12 Pro is working great. I know it’s not the same material as the clear case, but the buttons work fine. I would think Apple would place the same ease of button functionality requirements for the clear case as the silicon cases. I’m really curious about trying an Apple clear case. So I might order one after I get a little more use from the black one.

About the white ring in back, I think that can be an issue if your iPhone 12 Pro is a color other then the white one. Or maybe some users won’t care. I’d have to see how it looks on a blue or gold iPhone 12 Pro.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, if it makes any difference, the Apple black silicon case I’m using on my iPhone 12 Pro is working great. I know it’s not the same material as the clear case, but the buttons work fine. I would think Apple would place the same ease of button functionality requirements for the clear case as the silicon cases. I’m really curious about trying an Apple clear case. So I might order one after I get a little more use from the black one.

About the white ring in back, I think that can be an issue if your iPhone 12 Pro is a color other then the white one. Or maybe some users won’t care. I’d have to see how it looks on a blue or gold iPhone 12 Pro.

Thanks for this, Nelson.

Those silicon cases are gorgeous and I have watched many YouTube reviews where owners are raving about them.

For years, I was very careful about picking the optimal color iPhone. However, it was insane that I never saw the back of it. I was consistently putting them in $130 Apple Folio cases.

This time, I wanted to see the Pacific Blue. So, naturally, clear case.

I think I am more concerned at this point that I spent $50 on the Apple case and two days later Amazon offered me a $30 Totallee case to review. And that Totallee case looks really good (I should have it tomorrow). So, I sit here and wonder why I would even want to open up the Apple package at all. I will probably just return it, that is unless the Totallee case turns out to be something I don't like.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ron, that’s great you’ve got the opportunity to test that case! Hope it works out for you.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ron, that TORRAS case looks good. I’ve never heard of them before so I’ll be interested in hearing what you think of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks