1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 11 and 11 Pro / Max owners thread

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Dave,

This should help explain my insanity towards upgrading every single Mac product each year.

The resale value is pretty damn good.

I got $600 for my iPhone XS MAX towards my new iPhone Pro
    I got $250 for my Apple Series 4 watch towards my new Series 5
    I got $1730 for last year's Macbook Pro towards the upcoming 16" model

Yes, there is value lost here, but the trade-ins sure help the pain in yearly upgrades.

Of course, I expect someone to tear me apart on this but I keep saying to myself that I have no dependents, I don't pay for drugs, and if this is what my favorite hobbies cost me each year and I can afford it...

Johnny Angell and DaveF like this.
  2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I did some simple math on my phone:
    iPhone 8+. Approximately $800 new. Two years old today, in 2019.
    Trade-in for $300 after 2 years. That's $500 total cost, or $250/year cost of ownership.
    Trade-in for $200 after 3 years. That's $600 total cost, or $200/year cost of ownership.
    Trade-in for $050 after 5 years. That's $750 total cost, or $150/year cost of ownership.*

The cost of ownership is better, holding onto it longer, as expected. But it's not a huge annual savings, assuming Apple's current trade-in values hold. I lean towards holding on for three years with the iPhone 8+ for an iPhone 2020 upgrade. But it's also reasonable to buy new this year, if I want the new features.

* Took Tino's $80 and rounded down to be conservative and have nice round numbers.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    $600 a year on upgrade plan is fine with me. Yes I could save money but I don't want to wait. When I no longer have this luxury or when phones aren't changing as much each year I'll slow down.

DaveF likes this.
  4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This is our passion. There are people out there who spend far more money on crazier things.

And you are right: As long as we have the luxury of doing it....why not?

5. Message #65 of 119 Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Yes, the upgrade is fine for me because I used to spend more just for AT&T then I do now for annual upgrades plus T-Mobile service.

Sam Posten likes this.
  6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Good tip, but your images had a very narrow depth of field which I liked. So narrow that the neck fur was out of focus.

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I should hope not, especially in a forum such as this, dedicated to the very definition of a "first world problems" (i.e. one's favorite movie not being in 4k/BD, subwoofers not going below 20hz, Atmos ceiling vs. reflecting speakers). :rolling-smiley:

As long as it makes you happy, that's good enough.

I've been following this owners' thread and reading many online reviews and testimonials. Most seem to say it's primarily the camera that's the upgrade from the X (and XS). Sure, the A13 is faster...but just like the upper end MBPs...99% of what normal people do with their iPhones will not show a discernible performance bump from the A11 and A12. Sure the A13 may be "60%" faster, but when my X does things in 100ms, I personally won't be able to tell that from 60ms.

To my great surprise, the Pro Maxes are available at my local store. Several of them actually. Including in the "hard to get green" color. Either they're doing very well in maintaining stock, or iPhone fever is cooling.

I played with one for about 30 minutes. I did most of the things I do on my current phone. My money stayed in my pocket. I do like to take pictures with my phone, but not to the degree that the camera improvement is going to get me to outlay over a grand. Everything else felt pretty similar to my X in terms of execution. And while the specs of the new screen are superior to the X...in my 30 minutes with it doing my normal tasks...I just couldn't tell a significant difference. Again, not to the point where that and the camera would get me to part with a grand.

I was really surprised by this. I've never gone more than 2 years without an upgrade. And some years, when I thought I'd skip a year...I would go in and the year-over-year improvement was enough to get me to trade in my one-year-old phone to do an upgrade. Now I'm going to end up going 3 years without an upgrade. Like Ron, I can afford it...but I just can't justify it for what I do on my phone. Maybe if I was hardcore gaming (which I do...but on PC and console), or a prolific night-life photographer, or if the X were performing poorly, I could justify it. But as I said in the other thread, I think Apple may now be the victim of making their devices too good, and now even hardcore techies like me can easily justify going a third year with my device.

First world problems, indeed.

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I don't think anyone here is meaning to tear you apart on this. This is the HTF. We've got some spendy hobbies. :) I don't upgrade devices annually. But I've got a nice media room that cost me pretty penny three years ago.

And even my biannual upgrading is more than other friends who buy an older phone and hang onto it for three or four years. I was talking with a buddy today, and he's on iOS 13 on his iPhone 6s or 7s (I'm not sure which), and doesn't really feel like upgrading yet because the new features don't really do anything for him (he's not a camera guy).

That said, I do enjoy watching your own personal inner turmoil as you work through your annual purchase each year :D

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I think I’m converted to cashless life. I’m paying for Apple care why should I protect a phone that’s on borrowed time? :)

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Caseless

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

I got the new transparent Apple case. I used to go caseless while I was still using my original (2007) iPhone as my remote, but now I use my current iPhone, and I do have a tendency to drop my remote.
    Even if breaking anything is unlikely (never broke my original or any other iPhone) why risk the wasted time?

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Lol I was super confused for a moment. :rolling-smiley:

I think the main reason I personally don't go caseless (and yes I do pay for AppleCare and until this year had always traded my phone in within 1-2 years) is that listening to the Apple Store reps yesterday while I was playing around with the Pro Max, they fielded many "can I trade [this version] phone in? how much is it worth?" questions. They all said "if the phone is in excellent/perfect condition, it's worth ___ much."

I know AppleCare will cover major damage like broken glass. But these new Pro Maxes look like the back finish will scratch if it rubs up against anything in your pocket (keys, coins, etc.). I'd hate to get lesser trade-in value because of that.

Once I do upgrade, likely at the 11S (I assume they won't go to 12 next year), depending on how easily scratchable it looks, I may opt for a protective film vs. a case. That may solve the scratch issue, but be considerably less bulky than even a thin case.

Sam Posten likes this.
  13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I’ve tried caseless, but...

iPhone 4, I really like the Bumper cases.
    iPhone 5s, I disliked the feel of the edges so cased it
    iPhone 6s, too slippery, needed a case to not slide off every surface or even out of hand
    iPhone 8+, too slippery and too expensive to not have some modicum of protection.

iPhone 11 or 12? TBD

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    cause it’s essentially a rental And insured as such. I don’t feel that protective of it as one I own

15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Straight out of camera vice edited, quick shot. Spy a frog on ground. Rush over as fast as possible and shoot twice before it hops off away from the commercial mowers munching his home.

9F68B3F5-A1DE-42BD-BAC0-AC2DF17AFB65.
    Terrrrrible lighting, bad angle. Saved and pretty happy how it came out!

4C548EAD-38C7-4382-A093-4BC19EEC9EBF.

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Nice photos, Sam! Hopefully we will see more

Sam Posten likes this.
  17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member