What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You going to wait for this year's release (probably with facial recognition) or go for a current model?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Rumors are that new iPads are coming next month (March 2018). I recently purchased an iPad mini 4 to use with my Mavic Pro drone but I still want to replace my iPad Air 2 sometime this year. Hopefully Apple will announce something to get excited about.

Mark

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You going to wait for this year's release (probably with facial recognition) or go for a current model?
Facial recognition is less important on the iPad as compared to the iPhone. At least for me it is. My iPad lives 99.5% of the time at home and I have it unlocked.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
It won't bother me in the least if Face ID *never* comes to the iPad. If it does (and I purchase an iPad that has it) I will *never* turn it on.

The day I feel inconvenienced by unlocking my iPad with a 6-digit passcode is the day I need to stop using such devices. I don't even use Touch ID on my current iPad. I use Touch ID on my iPhone but not on my iPad. It's awkward to do Touch ID on the iPad. On the iPhone it just works.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As my iPad is dying a quicker death I have to make a purchasing decision real soon. I'm thinking with what I use my current iPad for, I don't think I need the Pro and I certainly don't need 512GB. If you're not using the Pro for business or extensive writing, is it overkill over the iPad? Also, do you have to purchase more expensive accessories for the Pro?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have two of the 12” iPad Pros. :) I love them for sketching and drawing on. It’s a terrific mobile art studio.

I also use them for web browsing as the larger screen is great for that. I also like to watch movies or TV shows on them if I’m not near a TV. It’s great for streaming YouTube too. Of course the 10.5” iPad Pro is a nice alternative.

If you’re not doing extensive writing or drawing then you don’t need the $100 Apple Pencil or the keyboard. So that’s a couple hundred you didn’t spend. The only expensive accessory I would buy is an Apple case. But that’s up to each person’s tastes and preferences.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have two of the 12” iPad Pros. :) I love them for sketching and drawing on. It’s a terrific mobile art studio.

I also use them for web browsing as the larger screen is great for that. I also like to watch movies or TV shows on them if I’m not near a TV. It’s great for streaming YouTube too. Of course the 10.5” iPad Pro is a nice alternative.

If you’re not doing extensive writing or drawing then you don’t need the $100 Apple Pencil or the keyboard. So that’s a couple hundred you didn’t spend. The only expensive accessory I would buy is an Apple case. But that’s up to each person’s tastes and preferences.
If you have the case do you need the cover too?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
As my iPad is dying a quicker death I have to make a purchasing decision real soon. I'm thinking with what I use my current iPad for, I don't think I need the Pro and I certainly don't need 512GB. If you're not using the Pro for business or extensive writing, is it overkill over the iPad? Also, do you have to purchase more expensive accessories for the Pro?
The other big differences between the Pro & the iPad (formerly known as iPad AIr) are the camera, the display and the CPU/GPU - the pro has a much better camera, a better, more color accurate display, and the latest & newest/best for iPads CPU/GPU A10x - it is actually more powerful than the Intel CPU in the MacBook

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not to mention that the ProMotion display on the Pro has a refresh rate of up to 120Hz. It is definitely nicer than the regular iPad, and worth the extra cash IMO.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, for the first generation iPad Pro Apple made a rear cover that’s polyurethane case with a microfiber lining that’s really nice and you have to buy the Smart Cover separately. I really like those as the back cover is thin and fits perfectly. But for some reason for this current generation iPad Pro, Apple stopped making the rear cover. But still makes the front Smart Cover. They replaced the rear cover with a leather sleeve that includes an Apple Pencil holder. I was lucky and got a last generation Apple rear cover and it fits the new iPad Pro 12”, but some of the speaker holes don’t quite line up but it’s fine.

The sleeve might be a nice option but I like protection for the rear of the iPad. The sleeve is expensive so I didn’t go with it and it doesn’t provide rear protection as I said when I’m using the iPad.

To the last post, the new display is very nice! :) From my perspective because it is faster, it makes drawing much more like the rear thing as there is virtually no lag from pencil stroke to seeing the line appear on screen. ( the lag is so little now it’s not perceptible. )

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I got my Pro, I used the “I want method.” I got more thanI need so that I’d be happier with it for a longer time.

The most important accessory I bought is the Logitech Slim Keyboard. Love it. Next was the pencil.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I bought it at Apple. Got to get a feel for it, Liked it. The deal was sealed when I realized that it had a little loop thingy at the top for the screen to store the Pencil. It completely encases the iPad when closed. And it’s a Logitech.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You guys are making a compelling argument. I'm going to decide over the next few days and probably buy one of the iPad models by Monday morning. When I make major purchases, I try to do so with the intention of not regretting my purchase by getting the best model I can afford to avoid buyer remorse.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My quite old iPad 2 is pretty much dead, too, as it will no longer hold a charge for very long, and a couple of the apps perform poorly. I am trying to decide if I even need another tablet. We usually only use the IPad when we travel - - for Internet access and to watch movies or TV shows. However, we just got back from a trip where I just used my recently acquired Samsung Galaxy S8 phone for everything and left the iPad at home. While a bigger screen would have been nice at times, we got by fine with just using the phone.

What to do, what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks