What's new

iPad Air and iPad Air 2 buyers and owners (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPad AIr 2, Space grey, 64GB, wifi. Delivers Oct 24 (fingers crossed).

It should get here before my next round of travels, so ordered it today. Went through Chase 'portal' for 2% points back; a skosh more and I'll take what I can get.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Sam - My Retina Mini is a 16GB which is perfect for my needs. I use it for Safari, social media, YouTube, iBooks and the occasional game. No music, photo or video storage since I have other devices for that. I have 7.3GB free and probably won't use much more than that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.allenpike.com/2014/the-ipad-zombie/
Apple still sells the original iPad mini. Today, they announced that not only would they continue to sell it, but cut the price to $249, making it the cheapest iPad ever. If they follow their usual pattern of leaving the iPad line as-is until next fall, the iPad 2’s internals will live on for 4.5 years.
Apple may be causing longer-term harm to themselves by selling 16GB A5 hardware for short-term market-share / profit-share growth.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I'm really torn! I have an iPad Air now and I'm typing this post with it. I've been lucky to have been buying almost every iteration of iPad that's been released. I skipped the iPad 4 and retina mini as I have the first mini. Didn't feel like those were worth the upgrade.The new specs of the iPad Air 2 are really compelling! I don't only use the iPad as a consumption device and web and mail device, but I create content on it, not as much as I want to. I use it as a drawing and painting tablet. The new styluses from Wacom and Adonit are great with the Bluetooth connection. Last year I saw a real improvement with the iPad Air 1 as there was no lag at all when drawing with a stylus. When the newest Wacom stylus comes out later this month, there is a promise of palm rejection, if that is true, that is one of the final hurdles that makes drawing and painting in the iPad less then ideal. Though I adapted to it. The new iPad Air 2 is even faster with its new processor. And I like the thinner body. So combine that with a better stylus and palm rejection, I'm really tempted!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to add, had the rumor of a 12" iPad Pro been true this year, that would have been a no brainer. But I'm guessing there won't be one till a year from now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Rumors are for a "Pro" 12" iPad next Spring. Assuming that is to come, it might be worth waiting for that for your drawing interests. And I don't know that the Air 2 is that big of an upgrade over the Air. It's only a little thinner. And the A7 processor is quite fast, even compared to the new A8.

But if your budget and interests allow for a new iPad every year, then go for it! TouchID itself will be a nice upgrade. I turned off the PIN code on my iPad 3, it was too much of nuisance for around the house. I'll expect to turn security lock back on with the TouchID feature enabled.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Dave,Yes, I hear the rumors are for the Spring. But that seems so close to the current new iPad Air 2 release date, that might upset a lot of buyers like me who would like the bigger iPad. I'll give it more thought and the yes, for yet another iPad upgrade. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I bought my gold one 128 GB Wifi+Cellular Delivers Oct. 23-27
How did you guys get better delivery dates??? I ordered that morning 128 GB Wifi+Cellular Space Gray, and mine delivers 24 - 28... Any indication on when brick and mortars are getting it?

Both the iPad and iPad(3) both cellular versions, I got on opening day from the the B&M Apple Store with no lines fuss or muss. I was so hoping to do the same this time around...

To add insult to injury, my case arrives tomorrow. Just to remind me that I have to limp along with my old iPad for a few more days.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've heard the new iPad doesn't have the mute/iruentation lock switch! Is this so? It will be a tragic loss for me. I use the orientation lock daily. I'll be bummed if Apple screwed that up..

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
I agree it's tough to lose, but it is classic Apple. Be reasonable, do it their way: Just set the orientation lock in the pull up menu, swipe from below.
True. I just wish they did a better job of advertising this. Went for sooooo long before someone clued me in to this feature...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
I agree it's tough to lose, but it is classic Apple. Be reasonable, do it their way: Just set the orientation lock in the pull up menu, swipe from below.
Unfortunately, their way is unreasonable and harder. And I have no choice now.

During the day, I have the lock off. At night, in bed, I toggle it on. And then off in the morning. Every day, two quick flicks of the switch by muscle memory. Now, turn on, swipe up, find and tap button, swipe down. Apple has made a user-hostile design decision for no good reason.

It's not enough for me to cancel my order or abandon the platform. But it's a pinprick. A check in the negative column of "it just works?" TouchID will be be a balancing checkbox, a little delight. I wish Apple would only make good decisions. But so far, the balance is in their favor.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
True. I just wish they did a better job of advertising this. Went for sooooo long before someone clued me in to this feature...
Also, certain third party cases made the swipe up especially in landscape unusable...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
During the day, I have the lock off. At night, in bed, I toggle it on. And then off in the morning. Every day, two quick flicks of the switch by muscle memory. Now, turn on, swipe up, find and tap button, swipe down. Apple has made a user-hostile design decision for no good reason.
Agree with every word. Unfortunately, to me iOS 6 to 7 UI redesign falls in that category as well. Maybe promoting Jony Ive and firing Scott Forstall was a great personnel decision for Apple and made for a happier and healthier work environment, but I liked Forstall software design approach better: it was simply easier to use. Two years later I still have to hunt for the Newsstand icon on my iPad home screen: with the iOS 6 skeuomorphic, 3-D look I could identify icons and UI elements instantly, now I no longer can. Maybe Apple listened to a bunch of Android fans screaming that iOS was "dated". Whatever the impetus, it was unnecessary.

All the time and effort spent on changing the iOS and now OS X look could have been spent on fixing bugs and adding vital features: yet another year without public transportation or bike directions on Apple Maps: seriously? Usability is job one, Apple! And Siri seems to have been all but forgotten in Apple demos - they need the NY Times (!!) to remind users how great it can be: but it clearly needs massive work as well. Again you can only do so many things at one time, and IMO in the last 2 years Apple has not prioritized well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Both my iPad airs are prepping for shipment.

Wondering if Apple will be expediting the shipping?I know it says standard shipping, but I had thought perhaps they would
attempt to get it into homes by this Friday.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
you ordered two iPads, Ron?

Sadly apple pay requires a credit card from a US bank so for most of us it still doesn't work in Canada. likely the same reason why Google Wallet still does not work in Canada after all these years of it working in the US.

Too bad, too, as we have far more NFC enabled pay pads here than have been in the states.

How unfortunate.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
McPaul said:
you ordered two iPads, Ron?
Yeah, one for me and one for Mom. She loves her iPad, but sadly, she's had
it since version 2. Think it's about time she got upgraded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks