What's new

IOS Security Issue - Immediate Update Recommended (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I heard about this in a meeting earlier today. Apparently some users have reported their iPhones being hacked.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I updated my personal and work iPhones the day the exploits were announced and iOS 15.6.1 was announced. It was late at night as I was going to bed so I updated my Mac mini the following morning. I still need to get my wife’s iPhone updated tonight or tomorrow.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
1 iPhone SE2, my wife's Ipad Air, and my Apple TV -- I actually wasn't thinking about that, but I figured I might as well once I got started. I had looked at my very old Ipad Mini 2 earlier in the day for some other reason (1st time I've turned it on in a month), but it is maxed with iOS 12+

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Guess I'll finally do another update on my phone... though it doesn't seem clear at all which version the vulnerability was first introduced (or was it really pretty much always there), which is why I'm not usually in a rush to update (because doing so may open up new vulnerabilities).

I've still just been running 15.4.1.

I dislike that they don't let people know how the vulnerability got into the software -- I get the concern about releasing too much info publicly, but the complete lack of transparency does not really inspire that much trust from me...

_Man_

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Updated my I phone 12, I pad 5th Gen, my moms I pad 5th Gen, and my brand new iMac 24” M1. Also updated my 2019 Mac Book Air. Didn’t try my imac I5 21.5 from 2011 though

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Nope, as I pointed out before, they don't/won't tell us when or which releases certain bugs/vulnerabilities were actually introduced (at least not from my quick scan of the notes both this time and in the past). I suppose one could try to deduce roughly when or which release in at least some cases, but there's no clarity/certainty w/ that.

FWIW, I want to know since I don't (want to) rush to update iOS (or any OS) all the time... precisely for the reason I stated. And it would help to know if certain bugs/vulnerabilities came *after* whatever version I'm currently using. They're just telling everyone to update asap regardless... which they usually do anyway regardless of whether there's some claimed vulnerabilities or not... and they generally don't let us roll back once we update.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks