What's new

iOS in the car (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
I think Apple went for "too simple" first gen carplay. As I said my Uconnect unit is fantastic and I have no idea what kind of OS is under the hood, but it works great even with Apple devices.
I've read and seen so little, I don't have an informed opinion; though I have high expectations -- perhaps too high. Having iOS Maps displayed on screen and third-party apps like Overcast accessible would be great to me. If Audible has a CarPlay app, that's my trifecta while driving. And having used all manner of standard USB and BT interfaces from Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, and Toyota in rental cars, I can't imagine it would be any worse. Those are pretty basic.

At this point, I'm really just waiting to see if this is a real Apple product. Or one of their distractions they launch and forget about a year later. It's looking more like the latter, presently. But that might be due to conservative auto-makers who only stand to lose money on overpriced, under-performing Nav packages from CarPlay and Android Auto.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Am the only one that would like to have a sort of "I am driving mode" on my phone and tablet? Just have Car Play/Android Auto run directly on the device itself and design cars so that there is secure (while driving) place to put the device.

That way, you don't need any head unit at all in the car, just a place to securely hold your phone/tablet with charging. I suppose it might be nice to have a AM/FM over the air tuner in the car that the phone/tablet could use but that wouldn't be absolutely necessary.

-KeithP

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That would be good for me until I get a CarPlay capable car. I have an Arkon mount in my car, and my iPhone is in it whenever I'm driving. I use it for maps, audiobooks, podcasts, and music always. A CarPlay UI would be great.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“Apple Car: Out. Get out.” (Final footnote dismissing with prejudice we'll see it, it would want to see it, at WWDC.
http://sixcolors.com/post/2015/06/what-to-expect-when-youre-expecting-wwdc-2015/

Best status I can find on CarPlay.
“Will Apple CarPlay And Android Auto Decide Your Next Car Purchase? | Seeking Alpha”
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3219476-will-apple-carplay-and-android-auto-decide-your-next-car-purchase

Announced two years ago. Webpage not updated in a year, with wrong and misleading statement of industry support.

Is it dead? Or just Apple iWork for the car?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'll choose my next car based on the merits of the car itself... Most likely another Toyota or a Honda. If it has Car Play, fantastic! If it doesn't, a new Alpine head unit will fix that.

So to answer your question Dave: No, Car Play will have absolutely no part in the decision on my next car.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll choose my next car based on the merits of the car itself... Most likely another Toyota or a Honda. If it has Car Play, fantastic! If it doesn't, a new Alpine head unit will fix that.

Actually, I am very influenced by car technology and who has the better system -- however, all that is considered within the price range and type of car I am looking for.

I like leasing luxury vehicles. So, Carplay being offered in a Lexus vs. a Cadillac would sway me one way or another.

However, my latest lease was in 2014. It was the first year Cadillac offered the CUE system. I was going to leave Cadillac and try something else but it was the CUE system that intrigued me. Boy was I sorry. The 2014 CUE system was a mess. It has been greatly improved since then.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My primary question is: Is CarPlay effectively abandonware? Like NewsStand and Passbook? Or is Apple committed to the long slog of bringing auto makers on board, and iterating it year by year? (that is, will my 2015 Brand X CarPlay work with my 2020 iPhone 9?)

My secondary question: how important is it? If it's real, if it's awesome, it could be a real factor for me in choosing a car. But if CarPlay isn't available, if it's rudimentary or looks unsupported, then it won't be a factor.

I can say that I cared about car UI before I cared about smartphone UI. My current Honda was bought in part because it was easier, better designed than the Mazda 6 and VW Passat, at the time. Smartphone use in my car is a daily affair. It's big part of the car's feel. If a maker really stinks it up, I will keep looking. If the whole driver experience is awesome, I will be more inclined to buy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I fear that despite my keen interest and wait, my next car won't have CarPlay. My wife is getting a 2015 or 2016 Corolla; no CarPlay.

I'm leaning strongly towards another Accord; also no CarPlay.

I'll look at Hyundai and VW. I don't think I'm a Chevy or GM owner.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You're just a couple months away, assuming typical Fall release. You should wait even if there's no Car Play :)

My car test driving is on hold until 2016 releases. My goal was to buy my wife a Corolla this Fall, and do some casual test driving for myself this Summer and Winter to buy next year. The Accord might upend that. I'll test drive this Fall for myself and possibly just buy my new Car this year. My wife's Corolla might get reconsidered if she loves Car Play (because Toyota isn't doing this year).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks