What's new

iOS 8 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Installing now on my iPad, waiting till tonight to do a full backup again on my iMac with the iPhone. First time since the App Store went live that I've waited for consumer availability to upgrade despite having Dev access.. It's much more exciting this way IMO =)

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Loving iOS 8 so far. Predictive texting is much cooler than I thought it would be.

Had forgotten about the possibility of answering phone calls on my mac. I have the public beta of Yosemite installed, had left my iPhone upstairs, and was at my desk working when FaceTime alerted me to an incoming call. I suspect Continuity is going to be a big deal for me.

Also loving that TouchID has been opened to third parties. Love logging into apps with a thumbprint.

Family Sharing is a godsend! With two kids and lots of movies, music and apps, managing their digital lives just became a lot easier. Though setting up the new Apple IDs for kids was a bit cumbersome (I needed to do it from the Mac) and the instructions were non-existant.

Only feature that has annoyed me so far was the auto night mode in iBooks. I don't care how dark my surroundings are, white text on a dark background is NEVER a good thing. Fortunately, it was easy to disable.

In general, it seems like they've polished a lot of the weaker elements from iOS 7. Quite happy here.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Apple's servers are getting absolutely bombed today. My 5s has been downloading iOS 8 since 6AM and still has 2 hours remaining.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm downloading iOS 8 to my iMac. Will upgrade my phone tomorrow or Saturday. Haven't read any reviews yet. That's the to-do for the weekend :)Ars advises caution on upgrading an iPad 2.http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/a-slide-into-obsolescence-ios-8-on-the-ipad-2/Any word on iOS 8 on an iPad 3? I need to know whether to upgrade mine.Edit: realizing iPad 2 and 3 use the same A5 CPU so performance impact will be similar. I will probably upgrade for uniformity, but will start with the iPhone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think Apple is making a mistake offering iCloud Drive upgrade during the iOS8 upgrade. Users are going to lose access to files on their Macs and not know why.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Stupid Apple Podcast app force on me now. Can't delete it. Thank Jobs for folders.

Love the Tips app. I'm learning things that have been there since iOS 7 that are new to me. The messages updates are so great, I'm upgrading my wife now. Can't wait on this stuff.

Health App I think will be of almost no use to me, due to professional constraints. But I like the Emergency section. I enabled that and filled it out. I'm a big fan of that kind of thing.

The quick-access tools UI is even more sparse! That will take some getting used to.

Family sharing, be still my heart!

This new keyboard...it's trying to think for me...not sure how I feel about it. Speaking of which: what 3rd party keyboard(s) should I try? I'll probably get Swype. Anything else?

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Another thing I've noticed about iOS 8. On both the iPhone and the iPad the OS is much more responsive to ambient lighting, adjusting the screen brightness accordingly. I've always had my devices set to auto brightness, but I tend to read in bed after my wife goes to sleep. We both noted that now when we turn off the lights the iPad (and iPhone for that matter) and much, much dimmer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Last year's reviews of the A7 (particularly AnandTech, I think) commented that it had trememdous headroom to power software and apps for a few years to come.

iOS8 belied that: after the install I swiped down for spotlight and it felt a skosh stuttery. Playing with the 6 at the Apple store confirmed this: spotlight swipe down is perfectly smooth on the new phones. On the 5s, not quite as fluid.

I know software expands to fill all available CPU cycles, but I'd hoped that the A7 was so powerful, I wouldn't 'feel' the iOS upgrades until iOS 9. But Apple is already making the A7 feel the pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks