What's new

iOS 13 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are there any reports / rumblings of memory management problems with iOS 13.4? My iPad (2018) has been having terrible problems when switching from app to app. Reloads frequently, UI freezes for 5-10 sec and sometimes just crashes. It’s worse than the memory management problems when iOS 13 launched.

My wife doesn’t experience this on her older iPad Air 2, running iOS 13.3.

i don’t know that my issues are from iOS per se. It might be it’s dying an early death? It’s bad enough I’m starting to become That Guy who kills every app immediately after using it, and rebooting the iPad every few days. (I’d buy a new iPad, but pandemic)

maybe iOS 13.5 will fix it?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve noticed some weird CarPlay behavior after going to 13.4.1. I now get random freezes in maps, music, and Overcast. Yesterday I asked Siri to send my wife a text while I was driving and everything became unresponsive with my head unit actually completely disengaging from CarPlay. Luckily, I was just getting off the interstate onto a city street so I was able to pull into a parking lot and physically disconnect and reconnect the lightning cable to reaquire CarPlay.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are there any reports / rumblings of memory management problems with iOS 13.4? My iPad (2018) has been having terrible problems when switching from app to app. Reloads frequently, UI freezes for 5-10 sec and sometimes just crashes. It’s worse than the memory management problems when iOS 13 launched.
I rebooted a second or third time, and it’s been working much more normally. Maybe, hopefully, a random quirk?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve noticed some weird CarPlay behavior after going to 13.4.1. I now get random freezes in maps, music, and Overcast. Yesterday I asked Siri to send my wife a text while I was driving and everything became unresponsive with my head unit actually completely disengaging from CarPlay. Luckily, I was just getting off the interstate onto a city street so I was able to pull into a parking lot and physically disconnect and reconnect the lightning cable to reaquire CarPlay.
I’ve experienced that with CarPlay (in rentals; don’t have it in my daily driver). Had to pull over, turn off and turn and car to get Nav to come out of a locked / frozen state. In short, I like CarPlay a lot, but have found it pretty buggy.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve experienced that with CarPlay (in rentals; don’t have it in my daily driver). Had to pull over, turn off and turn and car to get Nav to come out of a locked / frozen state. In short, I like CarPlay a lot, but have found it pretty buggy.
I’ve had some occasional weirdness with podcasts and music going silent in the past and the only way to correct the issue was to turn off the car and restart it. Simply unplugging the lightning cable wasn’t sufficient. My issues were finally corrected by an iOS update early last year and I‘ve not had a single problem until I updated to iOS 13.4.1.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. Had all that and more using CarPlay in various rentals the past couple years. Glad to hear it might be more solid in 13.4. Of course, I'm not traveling, so it's moot. And I can't yet justifying a new car just for CarPlay. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does anyone understand Siri and HomeKit in iOS 13, or point me to good resources? Siri / HomeKit just broke for me about a month ago. An automation I have just stopped working. All the individual pieces worked if triggered manually. The automation works if tested manually. But using Siri to call triggering event fails to run the automation. It was working. For like six months. And then just stopped working. I deleted and remade it yesterday, and it still doesn't work.

I'm just at a loss. I haven't had time to google on it or research it. But maybe someone can get me a head start on debugging HomeKit / Siri problems?
I found the fix!

I have to reboot my AppleTV serving as the primary home hub! Why does HomeKit randomly break every couple months? Who knows. Why did it randomly start working again? Probably a tvOS forced a aTV reboot.

My automations bonked out again this week. One night they worked. the next they didn’t. I spent an hour trying to make them work. Spent another hour googling the next day. Found old threads talking about AppleTV needing a reboot when homekit dies.

rebooted my aTV last night, and everything was working again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bolorkay
Recent bookmarks