What's new

iOS 13 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not a bad idea. But I don't have time.

Maybe over the holidays. I might try clean reinstalls of everything. I can do that on my own schedule and after hours.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Except...this most likely isn't hardware / software breakage. It's iOS 13.

iOS 13 has been arguably Apple's worst, buggiest launches by numerous accounts. And I've experienced a variety of the problems reported and talked about.

There are known problems with Mail. With features removed and rearranged like manual sync from the phone side. With multi-tasking and memory usage problems. Etc. I'm experiencing it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And I'm saying that to contrast with a friend and her iPhone X bought two years. She had all kinds of problems. Really crashy and bad photos and she hated it. But the problems she had, the stuff she described, I didn't see anyone else anywhere, no journalists, no bloggers, no podcasters, no HTF'ers talking about those issues. She most likely had a bad iPhone and should have gone to the Genius Bar. I advised her to. I don't know why she didn't.

The stuff I experience: I read about it all over the web. I'm not unique. It's iOS 13.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does anyone else find that Safari still tends to constantly crash since the iPad 13 update?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
iOS 13 was just a total clusterf*. I thought they had it mostly cleaned up, but I guess not.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I still have recurring problems with Safari. I get the little header "This page was having problems and had to be reloaded" several times a day. Memory management also seems worse. It seems like Safari reloads more often after switching to another app and back. But that might be due to apps using more memory in general on my iPad Gen 6 or it's confirmation bias on my own part. I don't know. But overall, various nuanced improvements from iOS 13 are negatively balanced by practical usage flaws.

iOS 14 can't get here soon enough. (sigh)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How many times does iOS 13 ask reconfirmation about location usage by a weather app? I've gotten this notification for DarkSky about 20 times so far since upgrading from iOS 12.
IMG_3271.png

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
How many times does iOS 13 ask reconfirmation about location usage by a weather app? I've gotten this notification for DarkSky about 20 times so far since upgrading from iOS 12.
View attachment 66620
It still happens occasionally with the local weather app on both my personal and work iPhones, but not nearly as much as when I first migrated to iOS 13.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“iOS 13 Text Selection — Benjamin Mayo”
https://bzamayo.com/ios13-text-selection

I’m increasingly perplexed by text selection in iOS 13. That video essay gets at part of it. Notably, the multi-tap features don’t seem to work anywhere except Apple apps.

“Triple tap any word within a sentence and the whole sentence will be selected.”
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/use-text-editing-gestures-iphone-ipad/

And with the demise of force touch, which I used on my iPhone regularly, I struggle again with cursor positioning. The space bar trick isn't as good because you can only go up; there’s no room to position downward with this new approach. The two finger cursor method on the iPad continues to be a consistent winner for me, though.

The three finger pinch / splat feature looked good to me. But I can’t get it to work consistently on my iPad. And my iPhone screen is much to small to pull it off. So, as they say, an inconsistent feature is an unused feature.

Hopefully this will all get buffed and straightened out in iOS 14.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does anyone understand Siri and HomeKit in iOS 13, or point me to good resources? Siri / HomeKit just broke for me about a month ago. An automation I have just stopped working. All the individual pieces worked if triggered manually. The automation works if tested manually. But using Siri to call triggering event fails to run the automation. It was working. For like six months. And then just stopped working. I deleted and remade it yesterday, and it still doesn't work.

I'm just at a loss. I haven't had time to google on it or research it. But maybe someone can get me a head start on debugging HomeKit / Siri problems?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does anyone understand Siri and HomeKit in iOS 13, or point me to good resources? Siri / HomeKit just broke for me about a month ago. An automation I have just stopped working. All the individual pieces worked if triggered manually. The automation works if tested manually. But using Siri to call triggering event fails to run the automation. It was working. For like six months. And then just stopped working. I deleted and remade it yesterday, and it still doesn't work.

I'm just at a loss. I haven't had time to google on it or research it. But maybe someone can get me a head start on debugging HomeKit / Siri problems?

So...it's working again? I'm so confused by Siri.

The nut of it: Up until last month, I said "Hey Siri, turn on Sound Machine". And it came on and ran the automation sequence. That stopped working for no apparent reason. Now I have to say, "Hey Siri, Turn on Bedroom Sound Machine". And now that seems to work.

I think Apple changed something in HomeKit without announcement or explanation?

I'm glad it seems to be working again. I really like these little HomeKit niceties. I'll try again tonight and make sure the new trigger phrase continues to run the automation sequence.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yup. Fixed. In iOS -13-
I guess you're saying you like iOS 13 text editing? So, that's cool. Personally, I don't get it. On the whole, it's a regression for me, making things worse. Kind see the cursor. The snatch and splop gestures are too hard and too inconsistent in performance on the iPad, and impossible on the iPhone. The multi-tap selection feature only works in Apple's apps. They don't work at all in, say, HTF's editor. I don't get how a fundamental UI feature doesn't actually work standard in all apps?

It's not terrible. But it's not good. And it's on the whole kinda worse from iOS 12.

So maybe it gets better in iOS 14 this year?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No, 13.4 adds trackpad and mouse support, and with it tools for better text selection.
Which is completely useless to the great majority who use their iPad as a touchscreen tablet. It doesn't fix the underlying problems, which is a UI made worse from iOS 12.

It points to Apple's fundamental weakness that's emerged in recent years: they bolt on new features but don't fix existing problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks