iOS 13 (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I ran into a iOS 13.1 bug this morning.

Overcast constantly crashes when I try to play a podcast via the CarPlay interface on my head unit. It states the content can’t be loaded right now then crashes to the home screen. If I unlock my iPhone and start the podcast from the app, it plays fine. Has anyone else seen this?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I promise I'm not trying to be a smart aleck by asking I'm just genuinely curious... why turn it off completely and just... not use it?
Why leave it on if I’m not using it? ;)

It feels wholly unnatural and it takes me longer to use slide to type than just thumb typing.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I watched a friend using slide to type on his Android device a couple of days ago. He was incredibly fast at it. He said it took a little bit of time to get used to it but now he’ll never go back to touch typing on his Android phone.

It was impressive to watch his speed.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I installed iOS 13.1 on my iPhone XS last night (upgrading from 12.4). No issues so far but, man, the CarPlay user interface changed pretty dramatically. I still need to figure out all of the feature changes but, so far, I’m missing the previous simplicity of CarPlay. I’m sure that will change with time and experience.

Mark

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I installed iOS 13.1 on my iPhone XS last night (upgrading from 12.4). No issues so far but, man, the CarPlay user interface changed pretty dramatically. I still need to figure out all of the feature changes but, so far, I’m missing the previous simplicity of CarPlay. I’m sure that will change with time and experience.

Mark

I'm loving all the changes to CarPlay. The ability to use my phone and not have it effect what I see on the car's screen is fantastic.

Re: the simplicity - remember that you don't have to use the new multi pane screen. If you want the screen with only apps, or just the app you are using, it is still there.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, the new CarPlay is fantastic. I really enjoy my time in the car with it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After iOS 13.1, my phone no longer charges properly on the wireless charging pad. Haven't figured out what's going on.

EDIT: seems to have been a fluke. It’s charging normally again after a weird day of day off not charging.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Yep. I have noticed Most of the same things John did. Another reason that I’m glad I disabled slide to type. Autocorrect seemed to be even weirder with it turned on.

*iOS 13 also randomly capitalizes letters now. An example of this is in my sentence above where autocorrect decided all on its own that the word “most” needed to be capitalized.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I still can’t type on iOS devices nearly ten year’s later. Swipe is much better for me it seems at early try. I tried the third party apps when those were added five years ago. But Apple totally forked that up and I gave up. This incarnation is working pretty well. This was typed mostly by swipe and was no harder than touching and somewhat easier.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Updated now on 13.1.1

Conventionally, the x.x.1 update marks the start of safe upgrades for even the more risk-averse upgraders. Aside the the weird battery hiccup that came and went, 13.1 has been problem free for me. Just the normal learning curve with new and revised interfaces.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched a friend using slide to type on his Android device a couple of days ago. He was incredibly fast at it. He said it took a little bit of time to get used to it but now he’ll never go back to touch typing on his Android phone.

It was impressive to watch his speed.

Mark
The SwiftKey keyboard on my Android phone supports this, but I could never get the hang of it. I just type normally. Sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks. ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Updated. :)

Good they're cranking out the bug fixes! I remember past years -- iOS 5 and the iPhone 4s particularly comes to mind -- when people complained that the update killed their batteries. So far I've not heard of that with iOS 13 and hopefully these rapid-fire x.x.1 updates kill such problems fast.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had high hopes for the three-finger cut/copy/paste editing UI. But so far it’s a disappointment. Sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes the page randomly slides or scrolls around. Sometimes it activates accessibility zoom. And, sometimes, but not usually, it actually copies.

I’m frankly surprised and a bit dismayed that Apple shipped this fussy of a UI. It doesn’t feel tested with normal people. The multiple UI conflicts are obvious and immediately found.

:(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks