What's new

iOS 11 and High Sierra features you should know about (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Cool. Keep 'em coming.

All the tips/tricks articles come with WWDC and them I'm struggling to find them months later when update is actually available.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“Should I Update to High Sierra?
I think I usually tell people to "take it slow" with an entirely new OS version. While there have been "huge win" updates in the past (10.6 is a great example), High Sierra isn't one of those.

Rather, while it may be a good (or even great) update over time, it also has the potential to destabilize things far more than anything that's come before. It's going to be hard to judge its impact until its wide release, and even then, it'll be a while.

If you're a normal user, I would strongly encourage you to not update to High Sierra right away. Let others take the risk. Wait until things calm down and the initial problems, which are inevitable, are fixed. Continue doing what you've been doing before High Sierra: you're not missing anything of significance.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/comments/news_on_the_march

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have noticed a pretty significant battery hit on both my 7+ and Series 1 watch since updating to iOS11 and watchOS 4 on Wednesday. I imagine the phone is just re-indexing everything and the charge duration will return to normal soon. The watch is still a mystery but I’m exploring a few things.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Interesting. I saw zero change in battery life on my iPhone 7 running iOS 11, but on my Series 2 watch it actually improved after installing WatchOS 4.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Wall Street Journal.
Is there an article that has that information that isn't WSJ?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I may hold off on upgrading to IOS 11. There are a few Apps that are only 32-bit and are not going to be updated to 64-bit.
I hate that the new OS will permanently disable them.

They work fine and are fully functional, but because the developers have moved on, I will lose that functionality just by upgrading OS's.

I especially will miss the Maltin Movie Guide. Yes, it hasn't had new titles added since 2014, but for classic titles it is still the best way to get a pertinent information (IMDB is fantastic, but 'too' expansive some of the time).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Installed iOS 11 on my iPhone 6 last night.

Love...LOVE...LOVE...the new feature which saves your recent lock screen notifications if you scroll down your current ones. I can't tell you how many times I missed reading them all before the phone recognized my fingerprint and sent them forever away.

I also like that the fingerprint reader seems like it has been improved somehow. Much more consistent.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Back up before you upgrade!!!!
If only we would listen to good advice. My mom's iMac killed the internal SSD on High Sierra installation, there didn’t seen to be a way to reinstall macOS directly on it, after repairing it via Disk Utility. I booted off the external drive (running Yosemite(!)) and it then promptly hung for good trying to reboot it.

I am up to plan C, get a new extra life drive, install Sierra on it from my MBP which is still running Sierra, go back to my mom's house, boot the iMac from the new external drive, install Sierra on her SSD, restore from Time Machine and hope that we are out of bad luck for her iMac (2014, the original Retina display model)

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Have you tried installing HIgh Sierra via Recovery Mode?

How to install a new copy of macOS HighSierra in Recovery Mode
Recovery Mode is the special salvation of the Mac that first launched with OS X 10.7 Lion. It creates a temporary boot partition that allows you to access certain things on your computer that you might not be able to if your system froze or crashed. It is the easiest way to install a fresh copy of an operating system.

1. Connect your Mac to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet
  2. Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
  3. Select Restart from the drop-down menu.

4. Hold down Command and R (⌘ + R) at the same time. When you hear the startup chime (or when the screen goes black on newer Macs), keep holding the keys until your computer reboots.
  5. Click on Reinstall a new copy of macOS.
  6. Click Continue.

7. Click Continue again when the installer window appears.
  8. Agree to the software terms and conditions.
  9. Select your hard drive.
  10. Click Install.
  11. Complete the installation process.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I tried that first - but it only offered me to install High Sierra in the external HD, the one running Yosemite (and now seems dead), not the SSD. Disk Utility did have SSD access, and I did Repair followed by Verify.
But when I booted on the external drive, the internal SSD was not visible in Finder. (Still in Disk Utility) Presumable I would need to set it up via Disk Utility the way one does with a new, not configured for a Mac HD first, before either Recovery Mode or App Store would work?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks