INXS New Vocalist and New Single Today

Discussion in 'Music' started by Phil A, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    "Sep 21, 2005 11:13

INXS Name New Vocalist; Canadian Singer J.D. Fortune Chosen to Front Multi-Platinum Rock Band; First Single 'Pretty Vegas' Hits Airwaves Today; New Album Switch in Stores November 29

NEW YORK --(Business Wire)-- Sept. 21, 2005 After months of heated speculation, multi-platinum rock band INXS have embraced Canadian singer J.D. Fortune as their new lead vocalist. The new INXS will immediately head into the studio with producer Guy Chambers (Robbie Williams) to begin work on their Epic Records debut, entitled SWITCH. The highly anticipated album is scheduled for a November 29th release.
    "J.D. has a slightly dangerous edge and will bring a sense of spontaneity to our live show," says INXS guitarist Tim Farriss. "In addition, he has both the star quality we were looking for and is an inspired lyricist. I think he'll grow with us on all levels. We're a complete band once again."

"It's an understatement to say that this is a dream come true," says Fortune. "Growing up, INXS albums like Shabooh Shoobah, Listen Like Thieves and Kick were a huge musical influence on me. I'd listen to their songs and wonder what it would be like to be in this band. That they've chosen me to be their new lead singer is just mind-blowing."

Equally exciting for Fortune is the fact that "Pretty Vegas," the song he co-wrote with INXS guitarist Andrew Farriss, will be the first single from the album. The hook-ridden track, released earlier today, quickly became a fan favorite following Fortune's electrifying rendition on the hit CBS series "Rock Star: INXS." The three finalists (Fortune, Mig Ayesa and Marty Casey) each went into the studio with INXS before the show's final taping to record new tracks, but it was "Pretty Vegas" that struck a chord with fans. After viewers flooded message boards at MSN Music praising the song and the studio audience screamed for it at the finale, the choice was clear.

"'Pretty Vegas' contains signature INXS sounds but sits somewhere between The Pistols, Elvis and R&B," says Andrew. "Combined with J.D.'s vocal, there's an energy and passion to the song that makes it the perfect introduction to the new-look INXS."

"Pretty Vegas" will be available exclusively through iTunes for two weeks beginning October 4th.

The new INXS will make its national television debut on Friday, September 23 on "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson." On October 17, fans in Los Angeles will be treated to a preview of the band's live show with a special performance at the new Virgin Megastore on Hollywood and Highland. In January 2006, INXS will take their show on the road and embark on their first worldwide tour in eight years. Fans can sign up for info and fanclub pre-sale opportunities at http://www.INXS.com.

http://www.inxs.com

http://www.inxsusa.com

For more information on INXS, please contact Lois Najarian or Michael Moses in the Epic Records publicity department.
    "

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Not to thread shit but as a big fan of INXS collecting many of their albums/Ep's over the last 20 years this is one I will NOT be getting.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I probably won't get it either. I have at least a half dozen CDs I have not even played and another 4 or 5 on the way. I just noticed the news and thought it might be of interest to some.

4. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    I'm happy for the guy--what a story. Will look into checking out the new Virgin Mega on Oct. 17. My next INXS CD will prolly be that Shine Like It Does: Anthology though.

They're gonna record an entire new record between now and mid-November??

-p

5. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I sorta feel sorry for the guy. This band hasn't been relavant musically in like 20 years. It just seems to me that these old farts want to leech off a new singer's youth and talent. Dunno why anyone with a finger of talent would want to waste away with an "oldies" band instead of continuing to try and make a career of their own.

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

It isn't a bad starting point, and could get you attention that you wouldn't get otherwise. I keep thinking of guys like "Ripper" Owens and Blase Bailey, who are young guys who took over for Judas Priest and Iron Madien respectively. Owens is now the lead singer for Iced Earth, and Bailey has a solo career.

Jason

7. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Thank you, Jason. I agree. And who's to say that the legacy members of INXS aren't discussing their future and how they wish to be thought of as a band. Perhaps they'd prefer to go out--if that's what happens--having released a record of new material with a new vocalist rather than leave it as is: being thought of more as the band that faded away after its lead singer offed himself.

Hunter you obviously have issues with the commercial success of the band's later output. That's fine. But I think it's a dicey thing to dismiss acts as no longer relevant. No one person is in a position to adjudicate whether a band's work--new or old--still has meaning for its audience. Those who do often come off sounding like blowhards.

It doesn't quite work that way in the music biz. There's not a one-to-one correspondence between who was a primary writing force and who gets to continue using a band's performing name after a break up or member death. If a band is smart/has decent legal representation, naming rights are determined well in advance and are independent of who wrote what. I think the Steve Augeri Journey is an example of this.

-p

8. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I was not talking legally. I am talking about the hearts and minds of the general public.

I looked up the answer to my own question and found out most of INXS's songs were written by the team of MH and Andrew Farriss. This gives reincarnation of INXS more credibility but it still doesn't make them INXS. Nirvana handled the situation correctly when they let Nirvana stay in the past. When a couple of them wanted to continue on making new music then they formed a new band with a new name to keep it separate.

9. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Hunter:

1) You're conflating commercial success with artistic relevance.

2) You're backpedaling in your post above from your sloppily broad assertions in your post #5 and that makes it harder to pin down your position and reply.

You said, "This band hasn't been relavant musically in like 20 years." 20 years ago was of course 1985, the year of Listen Like Thieves. It also falls after seminal works like 1982's Shabooh Shoobah but before what many called the sellout of the massive success of 1987's Kick. You're thankfully pointing a finer point on the matter now in your post immediately above by (problematically) saying "many INXS fans (myself included) believe that INXS's body of work ended with MH's death." But the reasonably obvious metamessage of your 'irrelevance' comment in the earlier post is that once Kick dropped, 'true' fans dismissed them as no longer relevant.

Again, I think it's a dicey thing for any one person to make IMO pretentious comments about "the hearts and minds of the general public." According to whom, Grohl and Novaselic handled the end of Nirvana "correctly"--you? Maybe others feel differently. And Nirvana is a teeeerrrible example given that I think that band and its work (or at least the success of Nevermind) represented a fundamental shift that echoed throughout the 90s. Cobain was and is so mythologized and the band's songs were arguably so reflective of his personal demons that I think Nirvana/Cobain is/are (a) problematic example(s) to use as a model for the way other bands should handle the death of a member/frontman.

And as a practical, legal matter I think Grohl and Novaselic would have had to deal with Courtney and all of her mischigas had they done anything but let Nirvana rest.

-p

P.S. - I'm also a little confused/put off by the contemptuous comments about INXS now being "old farts" and an ""oldies"" band. Why would a fan say that about a band they dig? I guess its further grist for the mill that is us sort of defining 'fandom' in different ways.

10. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

This type of situation happens with plenty of bands, but keep in mind that this was not a decision made by the fans. This was a decision made by the surviving members of INXS.

As you mentioned in your previous post, most of the songs were a collaboration between Michael Hutchence and Andrew Farriss. Whose to say that they weren't looking for someone with song writing "talent" to see what type of chemistry they may have?

All in all, the is the direction that INXS wants to pursue.

If people want to live with just the music from the earlier years, and not have anything to do with the new music may be missing out. Heck, even INXS might have felt that they were going to miss out on something.

Overall, I applaud INXS' decision to continue to make music.

11. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul

Yup.

-p

12. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

There are also plenty of bands who still think they "still got it." Many of them never see another hit again despite all their will and drive and perception of reality.

If they come out with a hit then good for them. I'm not rooting against them doing it. I will take no pleasure when they fail horribly.[​IMG] Just saying that their chance for success is very small and a young lead singer at the start of their career would have more chances for success if he didn't latch onto a band singing tunes to which he listened as a child.:p)

And I end my already too long post with this:

Blatant disclaimer for those that need it. The statements contained within this post are by large one man's opinion. Any statement later proven to be false will come as no surprise to the writer. The writer reserves the right to unapologetically change all of his opionions at any time. The writer also freely admits his propensity towards errors in grammar and spelling. He hopes that such errors will not prevent comprehension of his statements. There is no need to point out these errors but the writer thanks you for offering to help.

Seacrest out!

13. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Yipes. This would mean Britney Spears is one of the most relevant musicians on earth today. That can't be, can it?

I'm having trouble with equating relevance with commercial success. Doing this would make the Pussycat Dolls a more relevant group than the Beatles are today, since the Pussycat Dolls have outsold the Beatles this month. Of course, nobody will be talking about the Pussycat Dolls 3 months from now, let alone 40 years from now....So I don't see how commercial success can be a measurement of relevance.

If you think about it Hunter, it really wouldn't be that far off the mark to suggest that INXS is still relevant to you despite the fact that you're not interested in INXS without MH.

I feel the same way about the Grateful Dead..I've never been to a Dead show without Jerry Garcia in the lineup, but to me and many many other people, they will always be relevant.

I guess what I'm getting at is that relevance is more about the hearts, minds and memories of people than it is about commercial success.

14. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul

YUP.

More later when I'm done enjoying a Friday night of drinking and listening to Tina Turner and other 'irrelevant' artists not currently on the charts.

-p

15. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

So they had a contest to replace MH as lead singer ?

What, was Sammy Hagar not available ?

16. kerrySan

kerrySan Extra

thats a bit of a shame hey. oh well, times change

17. Nathan Eddy

Nathan Eddy Second Unit

Damn, all this semantic bickering inores the most RELEVANT point in this discussion: INXS has done something that no other band (to my knowledge) has ever done. They've used a current (i.e. relevant within pop culture) TV trend--reality TV--to jump start reunion tour for a rock band. They've simultaneously bridged two media, hitched themselves to the "American Idol" bandwagon, and thereby generated 1000s of fans who would have otherwise never heard of them.

I don't like INXS, never have. But I think this was some marketing genious. Whether or not it works out, we'll have to wait and see. Given the crap songs that we've heard for years from American Idol, I'm just shocked that Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" was played on prime time TV. If for no other reason, this little experiment was a success in my eyes. But then, I have very little expectations from either reality TV or INXS.

18. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I expect many more bands to jump on this bandwagon. I read online that Mark Burnett productions has already received many requests from bands wanting to be on the show, some with, some without singers.

19. Nathan Eddy

Nathan Eddy Second Unit

I guess Van Halen is the next obvious choice.

20. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Eddie would never go on a tv show to find a new singer. He should, but he won't.