Inwall rear speaker placement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by AnilJ, Aug 22, 2003.

1. AnilJ

AnilJ Auditioning

Hi,

This is my first post though I've been lurking around for the past year. Just want to say that this a great forum.

I'm starting to put my home theater together and would like to ask a question on speaker placement.

I'm planning on using towers for the front, and would prefer to use in wall for the rears for aesthetic reasons. I would think my usage would be about 65% music and 35% movies. I have to place the in wall speakers about 7 feet off the floor. The ceilings are about 8 feet. The distance between the speakers will be about 12 feet. The couch will be right in the middle so the height between the ears and speakers will be around 4.5 feet.

1. Is this the correct height for proper sound, especially DVD-A or SACD? The Dolby 5.1 faq recommends about 2 feet, which would be difficult.
    2. Do the speakers have to be pointed downward? I've seen some in walls with rotatable tweeters. Would this be the way to go with the setup.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure all of you will see more questions for the next few weeks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Anil,

This arrangement should work fine. Don’t worry about Dolby’s recommendations – It’s certainly the way to go if you can, but the truth is most of us have to make some compromises when you don’t have a dedicated room.

Obviously, the only way in-walls can point downward is if the wall is slanted – usually not an option.

In installations with the speakers above ear level, you can sonically reduce the speaker height by inverting them (i.e., the tweeter at the bottom). Naturally, a rotating tweeter, if your speaker has them, would be helpful as well.

The audible result of less-than-optimal tweeter placement will be an apparent reduction of high frequency response at the listening posotion. So worse case, boosting the highs could also help restore balanced sound at the seating area.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. AnilJ

AnilJ Auditioning

Thanks Wayne.

This gives me the idea of bulding a small slanted outcrop for the speakers at the correct angle. Sort of like a slanted ceiling but local to the speakers. I'm assuming they should be pointing approximately at ear level.

Anil

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

AnilJ.... I was just in a B&M the other day and they were showing me in-walls that are quite adjustable. I don't remember how many degrees. This was a custom install shop and use them quite a bit and from what I heard, they were dead on imaging. Both of their setups had them at 6 ft from floor to tweet but the adjustability allows some off that spec. Their setup was with B&W and Niles but I know there are several others out there.