1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Invitation to Seattle area DIYers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by TimForman, Feb 4, 2004.

1. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Since it appears there are to be NO get togethers this year that I know of I put out the idea to some local DIYers about doing something. I got a pretty good response and then Dan Wiggins of Adire Audio graciously offered to let us use the Adire facilities in Lynnwood. So it's on! Please join us on April 17, 2004 at Noon in Lynnwood, WA.
    Details and sign-up here.

2. JohnGil

JohnGil Stunt Coordinator

Had I know they were that close to my house I would have stopped in there long ago to check everything out? Small world.

3. TimForman

Does that mean you're coming?

4. JohnGil

Yeah! I'll be there.

5. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

This is a great idea! I've just signed up and I'll be bringing along my newly completed North Creek Rhythm speakers.

6. TimForman

7. JohnGil

George W This is a great idea! I've just signed up and I'll be bringing along my newly completed North Creek Rhythm speakers.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

George what North Creeks did you just build. I just recently built a pair of Rhythm/Revelators. I would bring them but I strained my back puting them in my theater room and I have them perfctly set up. Besides there 125lbs each and I realy dont want to move them.

Nevermind George I missed the "RHYTHM" part in your post. I look forward to seeing yours though. Did you build the cabinets or buy them from Lee Taylor Cabinets.

8. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Awesome! This means I don't have to try and cram everyone into my house. [​IMG] I will be there for sure, I'll bring my Power Pots and perhaps my Emerald Towers as well (link below).

There has been some minor talk in the Pacific Northwest Audio Society (PNWAS) of having a second amateur loudspeaker contest this summer, as was done in August 2002. As Adire/Dan will be at the PNWAS meeting on Thursday, February 12th (one week from today), I'll be sure to bring the subject up again and see if we can firm things up. Many people felt that they could have used a few months more notice before the 2002 event. RAW Acoustics also has had an event each November for the past two years, he's up in Surrey, B.C., just over the border. Those have been great and had lots of attendance, plus a free door prize from Adire.

My web site:

http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/hometheater.html

PNWAS web site with meeting address, dates, and times:

http://www.audiosociety.org

Aaron Gilbert

9. George W

John,

Northcreek has been changing their offerings lately as they've started using some tweeters of their own design. I ordered a pair of Rhythm values but George recommended their new D28 tweeter over the 9500 so I went with that. With their new offerings I believe what I ordered would be equivolent to a North D25 Project upgraded with the D28 tweeter. You're a lucky dog going for the Revelators; I would love to hear the difference but I understand, they certainly aren't much fun to carry around. I built the cabinets myself but since I went over budget, they are still in raw mdf for now, and likely still will be by the time the meet comes around. I really look forward to hopefully trying them on some decent equipment, as I'm running them off a lower end receiver for now. Do you have any pictures of your revelators? I would love to see them.

10. TimForman

11. TimForman

A drawing for prizes has been added.

12. JohnGil

I do have pictures but they are low res and my digital cameras had developed a large amount of dust blobs. I finished them about 3 months ago and used Zebra wood veneer.

Here are a couple links to the pic's of them. The pics are bad and don't do them Justice. I added a plinth to the bottoms when I put them in my recently finished theater room, which isn't shown in the pictures (the plinth that is). I sprung for the matched drivers. They did cost some cash by the time it was all said and done but they look great and sound well YOU KNOW, "fantastic". The 9900 tweeter a George's crossovers are first rate. I couldn't believe the weight of the crossovers. You can anchor a boat with them 10 gage coils. [​IMG] Insane.

I look forward to hearing your's if George does as good a job at designing tweeters as he does building and designing crossovers I'm sure yours will sound very very good Scan-Speak tweet or not.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...680&fullpage=1

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...693&fullpage=1

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...699&fullpage=1

13. George W

John,
    Thanks for the pictures. Dust blobs or not, it looks like your speakers turned out great; congrats! I considered adding a plinth as well but since my current couch sits so low I decided against it for now, just a bit of tilt does the trick. Yes I would love to get your opinion as to how the tweeters match up to the revelators. If you have a theater room, I'm curious if you're running yours with a sub? With my current placement I'm not getting much bass due to some nasty room modes, but where I had them set up before the bass was suprisingly adequate for movies; have you messed with tuning the ports at all? See you at the show.

14. JohnGil

Yeah, Im using a SVS 20-39pc+ I know I broke the rules of the DIY but my theater room use to be my garage and now I have to do projects outside, its winter and I needed a sub.

Before I got the sub I played with placement allot with the rhythms. As they sit now I have the center of the front baffles 2'from side walls and 3.5' from the rear walls. There slightly toed in and tilted back. I have the straws in the port about 1-1/2" out of the port (into the cabinet) bass is good and tight. The imaging is scary at times it so real sounding.

Since getting the sub, I used one of the port blockers from the SVS cut it in half and plugged the ports on the rhythm's per Georges recommendation. I belive this changes the order of the box and makes for a more seamless integration with a sub.

maybe you should come check them out for yourself. If your interested let me know and I'll PM my number and we can arrange a time.

15. George W

Thanks John. I would love to hear your setup but it might be a few weeks before I have enough free time to spare. I will PM you when things slow down a bit.

16. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

Oooh, I want to go. (Tentative at this point). Checking airfare.
    Anyone bringing the Eros?

17. TimForman

Not yet but the Northcreek Rhythm is a similar Scan-Speak based MTM.

18. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

I live in FL but Seattle is my home town. I pretty much grew up there. All my family and friends are still there so I can visit them and attend the NW Audio Meet.

19. TimForman

Seems like a perfect excuse. [​IMG]

20. Mike.Hjorten

Mike.Hjorten Auditioning

Hey Tim,

Since this is the first time that I'll be attending a meet like this, I have a few questions. I want to bring my AV-12 sonosub. Since I don't want to bring my entire HT I assume we'll just hook it up to a PRE/Receiver that someone else brings?

My girlfriend and I will be attending so I’ll sign us both up. However I have a friend that might attend too. Does everyone need to sign up through your website to be allowed into the show?