What's new

Invincible - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What I liked about the film was the look and feel of the non-football segments, the cinematography, plus the colors just gave off a neat but "almost-over-saturated earth tones" vibe for the film at times.

The cast is good, nothing too flashy, very solid. The story revolves around the one guy, Vince Papale (Mark Wahlberg), in Philadelphia in 1976 who showed enough promise at the try-outs, initiated by the new head coach Dick Vermeil (Greg Kinnear) to energize the city on regaining its fire after some bad seasons in the 1970s, to make it onto the pre-season roster on the Philadelphia Eagles NFL team.

Wahlberg plays Papale as a very understated person, not quite confident of his chances to make the team, but Vermeil sees a lot of heart within his character. While the film is one of those predictable "underdog overcomes enormous odds" sports movies, it's competently filmed and easy to digest, and good primer as we are close to the start of the NFL regular season with just 2 weeks to go.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Good review!

I really had no problems with the film whatsoever. It's a well acted, nicely played out film that makes brings you into the film and makes you feel like your playbook is on the line as well. I'm the kind rare kind of person who does not like football but usually loves football movies. This is no exception and should fall into the top 10 of football movies of all time soon enough. One big plus is that Mark Wahlberg does a lot of physical activity and if there were some doubles, they did a great job at keeping it tight.

I give it a 4/5 or a B.

ry

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Thanks for the review! I've been waiting for someone to talk about this film (where's Tony D.?). I was initially going to wait until the dvd came out but from what I've heard it appears to be a good family film (no swearing or sex) so I'll take my 10 year old daughter this week to see it while we are down at the shore. She's an Eagles fan just like her Daddy!

Josh.C

Second Unit
I saw this movie yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was very well done, and kid friendly.

Say what you want about Marky Mark, but I thought he was very believable in this role.

I went in expecting very little, and left with a smile. Any movie that can get a die hard Cowboy fan to pull for the Eagles, is not bad in my book.

8/10

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks