Investor's Business Daily article claims GTA games coming to XBox, GameCube

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Adam Tyner, Apr 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

From http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/030425/tech_1.html :

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

More than likely, they're "used" games so I doubt Sony will care. And given that they already have the PC version of GTA3 the port will be easy

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It should be noted that the statement about the Xbox ports are from an analyst Wedbush Morgan Securities, and he's talking about October 2004.

Right now, there's nothing public by Take Two to back up his statements.

4. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

This isn't news. We've known from the beginning that the PS2 exclusivity window for the GTA games wasn't permanent. The article doesn't claim that either of the games will be coming to Gamecube or Xbox; it just says that they'll be "available" should Take Two wish to port them over, because the contract with Sony will be expiring at that time.

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I agree with that portion of the article as quoted, but I'd say a release is implied by the sentence that followed it, though.

6. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

If sony dont tie them up completely then they're crazy..

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

"All good things..."

[​IMG]

8. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

i just sold my xbox [​IMG]

9. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

IGN has some new news. http://ps2.ign.com/articles/399/399937p1.html

April 28, 2003 - After Rockstar Games fulfills its agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment America at year's end 2004 (with the sequel to GTA: Vice City), it will immediately publish Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on GameCube and Xbox, reports Yahoo News.

The article, which focuses on the upcoming rash of mature-rated games, thanks to the immense success of GTA III and GTA: Vice City, includes a conversation with Take-Two Chief Executive Jeffrey Lapin, and new release dates for Project Manhunt, The Warriors and Max Payne 2. More importantly, it confirms IGN's research on the next GTA's release date, which we believe is in October 2004.

According to Yahoo News, Project Manhunt is due in October 2003, while both The Warriors and Max Payne 2 are due in 2005, the same year the next generation of systems are believed to be launched. The systems on which these games would appear was not revealed. Which leads us to believe -- speculatively, of course -- that both of those games will appear on the next generation of systems (i.e. PS3, GameCube 2, Xbox 2 and the Phantom 2, etc.).

Although we spoke with Rockstar Games officials today, the company's policy is to not comment on rumors. A source close to Rockstar Games said that the information in the article is definitely not concrete, but is possible.

"We don't really announce the Rockstar games until very close to release because we don't want anybody copying us," Lapin said in the story.

Of equal interest is that the Rockstar's potential move to put GTA III and GTA: Vice City on Nintendo's GameCube and Microsoft's Xbox. One month after Rockstar publishes the next GTA game (due in 2004) and completes its exclusivity agreement with SCEA, it will publish GTA III and GTA: Vice City on GameCube and Xbox.

We'll have more on these games in the near future.

We'll see if this turns out to be true. If so, this might just give me the excuse I was looking for to sell my PS2. The future GTA games and current ones are the only games for the PS2 that I think are MUST haves for me(that and perhaps FFX and FF 12 whenever that is released). If these do come out, I hope they tweak the graphics to take advantage of the more power in the cube and xbox.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

THat IGN article is just rehashing the original analyst report with an added comment from Rockstar.

11. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    ...perhaps Sony will sign Rockstar to a new contract when this one expires? I think we'll just have to wait 'till 2004 and see.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vice City with decent textures and a smoother framerate.

12. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

The thing is, by the time this happens PS2 owners will be playing a new GTA game, but NO WORRIES YOU'VE GOT GTA3 AND VICE CITY!!!!!!! Whee.

13. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Why wait, just get the PC version ..

14. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I would imagine that some Xbox owners who want to see what all the fuss was about will care, just as some Sony owners might be mildly interested if Halo was announced for the PS2 next year.

15. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'd expect that there would have to be some sort of update to convince Xbox owners to pick up two and three year old games at that point. Realistically, I can see new content being added to both games that will add to their appeal (GTA3 Director's Cut if you will).

But, I'll believe it when I see it on the shelf. I'll just grab the PC version of Vice this summer (if it's still scheduled for this year anyhow).