What's new

Investor's Business Daily article claims GTA games coming to XBox, GameCube (1 Viewer)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
From http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/030425/tech_1.html :

The last two "Grand Theft Auto" games have provided an immersive story with multiple coinciding missions. The next one is due out in 2004. A month later, "Grand Theft Auto 3" and "Vice City" finish exclusive run on Sony's PlayStation 2 and will be available for Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's GameCube.
Reliable? (shrugs) But there you go...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
More than likely, they're "used" games so I doubt Sony will care. And given that they already have the PC version of GTA3 the port will be easy

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It should be noted that the statement about the Xbox ports are from an analyst Wedbush Morgan Securities, and he's talking about October 2004.

Right now, there's nothing public by Take Two to back up his statements.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
This isn't news. We've known from the beginning that the PS2 exclusivity window for the GTA games wasn't permanent. The article doesn't claim that either of the games will be coming to Gamecube or Xbox; it just says that they'll be "available" should Take Two wish to port them over, because the contract with Sony will be expiring at that time.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I agree with that portion of the article as quoted, but I'd say a release is implied by the sentence that followed it, though.

"And they will sell, like, a jillion copies," Pachter said.
As Brian pointed out earlier, he's just an analyst and is almost certainly just making an educated guess, but...

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
IGN has some new news. http://ps2.ign.com/articles/399/399937p1.html

April 28, 2003 - After Rockstar Games fulfills its agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment America at year's end 2004 (with the sequel to GTA: Vice City), it will immediately publish Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on GameCube and Xbox, reports Yahoo News.

The article, which focuses on the upcoming rash of mature-rated games, thanks to the immense success of GTA III and GTA: Vice City, includes a conversation with Take-Two Chief Executive Jeffrey Lapin, and new release dates for Project Manhunt, The Warriors and Max Payne 2. More importantly, it confirms IGN's research on the next GTA's release date, which we believe is in October 2004.

According to Yahoo News, Project Manhunt is due in October 2003, while both The Warriors and Max Payne 2 are due in 2005, the same year the next generation of systems are believed to be launched. The systems on which these games would appear was not revealed. Which leads us to believe -- speculatively, of course -- that both of those games will appear on the next generation of systems (i.e. PS3, GameCube 2, Xbox 2 and the Phantom 2, etc.).

Although we spoke with Rockstar Games officials today, the company's policy is to not comment on rumors. A source close to Rockstar Games said that the information in the article is definitely not concrete, but is possible.

"We don't really announce the Rockstar games until very close to release because we don't want anybody copying us," Lapin said in the story.

Of equal interest is that the Rockstar's potential move to put GTA III and GTA: Vice City on Nintendo's GameCube and Microsoft's Xbox. One month after Rockstar publishes the next GTA game (due in 2004) and completes its exclusivity agreement with SCEA, it will publish GTA III and GTA: Vice City on GameCube and Xbox.

We'll have more on these games in the near future.

We'll see if this turns out to be true. If so, this might just give me the excuse I was looking for to sell my PS2. The future GTA games and current ones are the only games for the PS2 that I think are MUST haves for me(that and perhaps FFX and FF 12 whenever that is released). If these do come out, I hope they tweak the graphics to take advantage of the more power in the cube and xbox.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
THat IGN article is just rehashing the original analyst report with an added comment from Rockstar.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
...perhaps Sony will sign Rockstar to a new contract when this one expires? I think we'll just have to wait 'till 2004 and see.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vice City with decent textures and a smoother framerate.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
The thing is, by the time this happens PS2 owners will be playing a new GTA game, but NO WORRIES YOU'VE GOT GTA3 AND VICE CITY!!!!!!! Whee.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I would imagine that some Xbox owners who want to see what all the fuss was about will care, just as some Sony owners might be mildly interested if Halo was announced for the PS2 next year.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'd expect that there would have to be some sort of update to convince Xbox owners to pick up two and three year old games at that point. Realistically, I can see new content being added to both games that will add to their appeal (GTA3 Director's Cut if you will).

But, I'll believe it when I see it on the shelf. I'll just grab the PC version of Vice this summer (if it's still scheduled for this year anyhow).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks