Inventors, Help Needed

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Jan 15, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

... This may not be the area of expertise for this forum, but I figure what the hell... it can't hurt to ask.

I came up with an idea for an invention last July. I've already mailed the idea to myself for a poor mans copyright, with a description of it and the date it was 'created' included in the envelope, now I need to take the next step.

I've already created a 3D Model of it in 3D Studio Max, and a mini animation of how it would work when completed. It's going to require some automation, and some cuircitry work, as you'll need t wo or three buttons to operate it with. Before I look at copywriting it with the government, I'd like to know if there are any companies out there that build prototypes of inventions for people who wouldn't have the knowledge or resources to do so otherwise.

Is there such a company in existance?

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    You do not copyright an invention. You need to apply for a patent to protect an invention. [rant]Do not discuss your invention in public or you may waive your rights.[/rant] Only discuss your invention with those who may help reduce it to practice if such discussions are covered by an non-disclosure agreement (NDA).

3. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

I didn't want to create a new thread since my question related to this topic. Does anyone know if you can simply patent an idea? Like, say, if one didn't have the resources or experience to physically make said invention, but still wanted to take the credit for the invention, would it still be possible to get a patent?

4. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

No, you must patent it if you want to reap any financial benefit. The very best you can do otherwise is to build it and thoroughly docment how and WHEN you built it. Then when someone else patents it, you can exhibit prior art to refute their patent. You might be able to swing a deal at that point.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

These two questions are actually asking slightly different things. The answer to the second one is easy: the very act of filing a patent application in the US is considered to be a "constructive reduction to practice". So actually practicing the invention is not necessary for the purpose of getting a patent in the US. Other countries may impose a "working" requirement, i.e. if you don't actually make the gizmo you aren't allowed to enforce your patent.

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I could build the house of my invention, but the electronics that make it work would still be missing. Heh, funny thing is, I'd like the final version to be in plastic, but I've never worked in plastic before, so the rough v ersion will have to be wood...

If this thing ever comes to fruition, it might be something every dog owner would want [​IMG].

7. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Neil,

According to this site there is no such thing as a "poor man's copyright/patent:

Just an FYI...

-Brett.