What's new

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers: Collectors Edition due 8/7/07 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just saw this on The Digital Bits site (in the rumour mill).
This was the first title I ever bought on DVD way back when, and though it looks like ass now, I hate the thought of not having it in my collection.
Hopefully this time we'll get an anamorphic edition of the film.

Wonder if Lionsgate will kick out a better version of the original when the Craig/Kidman film hits dvd at the end of the year (which is what I'm assuming MGM is trying to tie into with the CE release)?

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I'd love to have this in Hi Def. I've always loved the '78 Philip Kaufman version of all of the Body Snatcher films, but rather not buy another standard DVD of it at this point.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I got very excited for a second, I thought this news was about the original classic. But the remake is still a very good film.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

Oops... I assumed that they were talking about the original too. My Academy ratio comment doesn't apply then. It would definitely be nice to have an anamorphic version of the remake.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Me too. My heart was racing until I realized that it was the remake. Although, this is one of the all-time best remakes it still pales in comparison to the original. IMHO

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
An anamorphic transfer would be a tempting upgrade for me but I think I'll hold out for the eventual BD. The HDMonsters channel plays this from time to time and it looks fantastic.

A proper re-do of the original would also be sweet.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
I thought it was the original, too. Maybe the thread title shold be amended.

The original film was due for a new release here in r2, but it got cancelled. So far the only release of this classic piece of science-fiction is the old one by Republic which is Ok but not brilliant. There's a newer release in Germany by Kinowelt, but that too has had mixed reviews.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I would too, as I will definitely be picking up the CE if it's anamorphic.
Given that MGM has already postponed a slew of much more popular catalog titles- I won't be waiting for the Bd release.
I appreciate the improvments that HD brings, but when you are talking about 1.78/.85 AR films, I have no problem whatsoever enjoying a well mastered sd DVD.

apologies for not clearly delineating the version being discussed in the thread title.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Where's the confirmation that this is the 1978 version? Are specs listed anywhere yet?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Here's a link to the Rumor Mill : http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html.

If it's MGM, it's the remake, since it was released by United Artists and they've released a previous non-anamorphic version. Since Republic previously distributed the original on VHS, the rights would be held by Viacom/Paramount, but likely licenced to Lionsgate. Don't hold your breath for a new transfer or a "flat" transfer for that matter.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Great, I am happy as hell that the 78 version is finally getting a proper transfer.....I'll be first in line. :emoji_thumbsup:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Somehow I knew which version you were talking about. *checks closet for pods* Uuuuhm....how did I know.....? Paul? ARe you....one of them??? *gets a'scared* :eek:

This forum is part of the collective! I knew it! ...well, anyway...I only paid $4.88 for the last DVD release because it was discounted before I could fork out full price on it, which I was planning to do. I wouldn't think twice about upgrading.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I recently upgraded from a 28" Panasonic CRT to a 42" Panasonic Plasma (TH-42PX70) and the difference in quality for Invasion of the Body Snatchers, when zoomed-in is staggering. The increased size and blow-up revealed much more detail - but also scratches and dirt I had barely noticed before, so I'd still upgrade if MGM do a new 1080p transfer. I'm going for the Blu-Ray + HD-DVD Samsung when it comes out in the summer, so this would definitely be a title I'd buy on Blu-Ray.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
At the risk of getting booed off the boards, I think I prefer the remake to the original as well--well at least the remake's ending, which scared the hell out of me when I was kid and is still chill-inducing. I'm curious if there will be new special features/transfer or if this will be the exact same disc as released years ago but with a new cover. A Donald Sutherland commentary would be cool.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hey, the original still packs a wallop and is beautifully photographed. The '78 version doesn't make any bad moves, as far as I can see and exudes a moodiness like few other sci-horror films. Also, the chemistry between Sutherland and Adams is by far one of the best in the genre, too. Awesome score by Denny Zeitlin.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

I won't boo you, the 1978 version is my favorite and I think is the most chilling of the 2 films.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I think this one is great-- like Carpenter's "The Thing," this is a true reimagining of the concept and does marvels with the '70's SF setting. I saw this on Showtime HD a few months back and the transfer was basically the old LD transfer (the original DVD issue was just a port of this) blown up to 16x9, right down to the nicks and print flaws. I wonder if a newer, better transfer will be minted for this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks