Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sam Favate, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Is the DVD of this film non-anamorphic? Was there a re-release of this in the last year or so, or was that just a new cover? Any chance of an anamorphic re-release? I read somewhere that there was yet another remake in the works, and if so, that would be a sure time for another DVD issue.

Is the current DVD of the '78 film recommended?

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

This is a good film. Another remake!?! Give me a break!!![​IMG] No remake is needed. Let's have a little originality! Buy the DVD if you don't own it.

3. Nick Shookla

Nick Shookla Agent

The re-release of this last year was only a cover change. Other than that it remains the same old non-anamorphic dvd.

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

It is still worth owning unless an anamorphic re-release is of paramount importance to your viewing of the DVD.

5. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will

Absolutely 100%!

It's one of the best examples of 70's "They're watching us" paranoia films. Absolutely fantastic - and VERY disturbing.

6. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

This is a rare case where I think a remake is better than the original. But that was back in 1978, and it's not so much the case nowadays. Yes, they're making a completely unnecessary new version of this, and don't forget that there was already an unnecessary third verion in the 1990's!

7. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

[​IMG] The original is a classic but I've always preferred Philip Kaufman's version. I saw it at the cinema, I distinctly remember the effective use of surround sound which had me looking over my shoulder. The dvd has a commentary by Kaufman but hopefully it'll one day get an anamorphic rerelease with the sound beefed up to 5.1. and a few more extras, it deserves it.

"It may be the best film of it's kind ever made."
    Pauline Kael.

8. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino

It is.

9. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

yeah i just rented this disc and it looked HORRIBLE on my projector. not only is it non-anamorphic, it's a lousy transfera nd print.

10. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'm a little biased because this was the first movie i ever bought on DVD. it was purely an impulse purchase and it was extremely satisfying- but most of that was from
    1) finally being able to see it in its OAR
    2) hadn't seen it in over a decade and it was just as great as i remembered)
    3) i regreted never buying the LD and now this new 'superior' technology was actually almost half the price of what the older inferior tech was.

but what a difference 7 years can make.

I don't know if i would call it horrible, thats something i would reserve for things like Blade Runner or the new Todd AO version of Oklahoma! (seriously!). on my 32" Wega it looked fine- but on a fp it has all the flaws you associate with non-anamorphic films, but its still watchable.
    its 1.85 or thereabouts, so its got a leg up on most non-amoprhic scope films at least.

i would hope this would be an early candidate for Blu-ray which of course would mean it would most likely get a SD SE re-release first.

haven't heard about a remake but you are probably right about a remastered tie-in if there is one.

as for re-makes...BRING EM ON!

i wish Paramount would remake Love With the Proper Stranger..thank God it looked like Let's Scare Jessica is getting made so i can finally get that one.

if it weren't for these ass-handy remakes, we wouldn't get a lot of good stuff (he says logging off to go watch his Night Stalker set)

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I went ahead and ordered this based on the recommendations at the top of the thread. My copy arrived without an insert, and so one of the bonus features listed on the package is missing. Does anyone know if MGM is providing the booklets to discs that shipped without?

12. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

This movie has one of the best movie endings I have ever seen, and it was fun to see Leonard Nimoy acting in something other than a Star Trek movie or TV episode.

13. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Richard W

Go to MGM's website and email them. Provide the proof of purchase and isbn numbers, who you bought it from. They'll send you the missing insert. I've had to do this a couple of times, and they sent it promptly.

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS is a remarkable thriller, isn't it. My favorite version depends on which one I'm watching. Entertaining and suspenseful as hell. But I do think the 1978 remake is one of the cinema's great, great thrillers.

I recommend buying the DVD.

14. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    speaking of leonard nimoy.

I saw it with a double feature of star trek 1.. it really freaked me.. I was a kid at the time. I had to leave towards the end. it got too weird for me. I did see it many years later.
    its been a long time seeing.

JACOB

15. Jason Gordon

Jason Gordon Auditioning

The 1978 version to me, is neither a remake nor a sequel.
    With the inclusion of Kevin McCarthy in the second film, it's fun to consider that the events from each film are unfolding concurrently.
    They're both great.

16. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Richard W

Isn't that how Philip Kaufman intended it to be? The original 1956 film was supposed to end with Kevin McCarthy screaming a warning at passing cars (before studio pods imposed a "happy" ending with a scene in the hospital). This is how we meet him near the beginning of the 1978 version. So the story picks up where it left off, or it's unfolding concurrently.

I get a kick out of Don Siegel, director of the original, playing the cab driver in the 1978 version.

There are many stories in the naked city ...

17. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Why oh why wasn't this re-done with an anamorphic transfer? Sure I can zoom it with my scaler, but it would be much better anamorphic.

18. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I finally got a 16:9 pj and I feel your pain. Warner does have a new movie coming out (with Daniel Craig) with the same theme so hopefully MGM can wise-up.

I have a few titles from them that are withering on the shelf now with absolutely useless non enhanced transfers.

19. Rick Z.

Rick Z. Stunt Coordinator

Ricardo
    The good thing about the upcoming remake is that the '78 version (and hopefully also the '56 original) will probably be re released as special editions to cash in on the new version and will very likely (...hopefully) receive a better treatment.

20. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I concur that the current disc is lousy (it's a laserdisc port). Showtime has been broadcasting this version this month in HD, so a master does exist.