1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Message #1 of 10 Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    171626_front.

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. Message #2 of 10 Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Good Day Ron:
    Hope you don't mind me posting the text from my earlier posting on this film. If you want, you can delete the other IOTBG thread.

Now that I've reviewed this film on DVD, I see it as a R-Rated version of a Star Trek TOS episode if they were allowed to make those back in the day. Imagine a R-rated version of Spocks Brain (bevy of dangerous beauties ) or That Which Survives (stunning beauty Losira who kills all the men she "is for", played by actress Lee Meriweather).

However other than Nicholas Meyer, no connection to the Star Trek franchise is either stated or implied in the film.

My earlier write-ups:
    ==========================================================================
    For those of us who were around in the early 1970s (and of age) might remember sneaking into those late-night drive in theaters to check out those R-rated films shown. For me I was with my older brother & friends who basically threw me (age 14) into the trunk and then proceeded into a western Pennsylvania drive-in during the Fall of 1973 where of course I was let out to check out a R-rated double feature, first of which was Invasion Of The Bee Girls (1973).

Talk about an education!

Anyway this sex-fantasy sci-fi film has the distinction of being the first effort from Nicholas Meyer who of course went on to lasting film making fame for Star Trek, The Wrath Of Khan (1982).

Some gratuitous nudity (but full-frontal nudity was still prohibited in R-rated films at this time as one can tell in certain scenes) but not enough to call this a skin-flick. But enough to make the jaw of most hetero males drop.

Scream Factory has announced on their FB page a Blu-ray release of IOTBG (73) for Spring/Summer of 2017 but no exact date as of yet (UPDATE: Amazon release date of April 4th, 2017 announced. Link in OP).
    More info to come as it becomes avaliable.

And another one off my original Favourite 1970s Films not yet on Blu list.

======================================================================
    Wiki Link to Invasion Of The Bee Girls (1973).

From the Favourite 70s Thread
    ======================================================================
    And another one coming off my original list coming in early 2017 as announced by Scream Factory on their FB page. Scream will be releasing Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973) on Blu-ray in the Spring (or Summer) of 2017.

Fun thing about this film is that it was directed by one Nicholas Meyer whom we all know & love for his best-ever Star Trek film bar none, Star Trek, The Wrath Of Khan (1982).

==========================================================================

Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973): This R-rated B movie (no pun intended) was written by future Star Trek movie director Nicholas Meyer. Basically your male fantasy sexual/sci-fi movie from the early 1970s era and a late night drive in staple. But a fun movie nontheless.

3. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    I'll stick with my Midnite Movies copy! A good movie? A movie that should you double dip...ahh...NO!

4. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    That would depend on the quality of the Blu-ray transfer. I would definitely double-dip for this guilty pleasure if there is a marked improvement in picture quality over the DVD, especially if its up to or near true Blu-ray quality.

5. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    Wasn't the MGM Midnight Movies version a cut version?

6. t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan Second Unit
    Reviewer

Mychal Bowden
    I believe so.

7. KMR

KMR Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    What I want to know is: Will this include the "warning bell" that would let the squeamish people in the audience cover their eyes during the scary/gory scenes? (Just like with Cannibal Girls -- I saw both of these movies at my local drive-in back in high school a million years ago.)

8. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    ...I'll buy that uncut version for a buck!

9. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    Never heard of this "warning bell" when I saw this film. All I saw was the terror when she kills her lover.

10. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer