Introduction!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Matt`G, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Matt`G

Matt`G Agent

Greetings all!

I didn't see a seperate introduction section, so I figured this is probably the best place to put it (admin: plz move my post if I overlooked!). My name's Matt, and I'm from a town near Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'm in college so my spending money is a bit hurt right now, but I think now is as good of a time as any to begin my dive into the home theater world!

Of course, since I'm in college, I have a system in my car. [​IMG] This has been most of my detailed audio experience as of yet, and while a car is by far not the best environment for producing a classy stereo, it has been a good learning experience. Plus, I think I was able to achieve a pretty high quality sound for being a car stereo. My car's now 11 years old, though, so putting anything else into it seems kind of silly. Plus, I think most will agree home audio is the way to go!

Based on some research (mainly from threads on this board) I just purchased a pair of Polk RTi28 bookshelf's to run off an older, but great condition, Pioneer VSX-5700S that I had in my house. I can't wait to get them -- I think I'm really going to enjoy their sound in my bedroom. Plus, from what I've read, it seems like these speakers can later become part of a 5.1 system as I slowly put more money into my home audio.

Anyway, I'm real excited about joining the community here -- looks like quite the resource! Figured I'd give an up-front 'hi' and I hope to talk to ya's in the threads.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Welcome to the Forum, Matt!

I hope you're going to school for a well-paying career... this hobby is expensive... and addictive. [​IMG]

Keep us posted with your progress so we can all live vicariously through you.. because we're all broke, really and it's nice to at least hear that someone is buying new stuff. [​IMG]

3. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

4. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

I've had my new system 2 weeks this friday..........................I'm already looking at what my next upgrade will be!!!!

I started thinking I would get something good and enjoy it(which I do) and not worry about upgrading. But this is addicting.

Close all you credit accounts, lock your check book up and stay away from the HTF cause you will never want to settle with what you got! :wink:

J/k... this is a great hobbie and I hope you have tons of fun with it. I know myself and just about everyone on this forum have.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome to the forum Matt. There are many people here that can help you and answer your questions to carry you on your HY journey.

6. Matt`G

Matt`G Agent

Thanks! I'm sure I'll give throwing out some brain food for everyone over the next... well, while.

Heh, I'm already pretty familiar with being addicted to upgrades with my car stereo -- but hopefully the move to home will fix my car stereo upgrade habit [​IMG]

I *know* I'll be itching to get a new receiver, a subwoofer, some rears/center, etc. But I'm pretty sure that I can play it cool and keep myself under control. We'll see, and hey, if I spend a ton of money, at least I can *sound* not poor [​IMG]

7. Ryan*Pr*

Ryan*Pr* Agent

Welcome. I am also somewhat of a noob both here and to the home audio world. I am coming up on my senior year in college, and I can already tell that my home audio will cost me a lot throughout life.

You will learn QUICKLY how much better home audio is than car audio. Dollar for dollar there is a large difference in how well each performs.

Good luck on your journey!

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Matt, just a note of caution: This "journey" of which the others speak is a never-ending one! Welcome aboard. [​IMG]