What's new

Introduction to me (1 Viewer)

gregvm

Auditioning
Real Name
greg
Hi,

My Name is Greg, I live in Hawaii, and I'm increasingly becoming a home and car audio enthusiast. Music is probably the most important thing in my life, so I figure that having a setup to reproduce it well is important. I am working with a smaller budget these days (living in Hawaii is not cheap), so I try to read up as much as I can on equipment before purchasing. Over the past year I have bought audioengine 2's for hooking up to my laptop, ipod, and tv. I just bought a martin logan dynamo 300 8 inch subwoofer. I have no DAC, I feel like the sound coming out of my macbook pro is some of the best sound I've ever heard (the joys of not hearing the best I suppose). In cars I've owned in the past I've had subwoofers, and aftermarket speakers put into the dash, door panels, etc. I've used crossovers, amps, etc. My new car here has a crappy system, and since the car is a beater, I may not even invest in getting a decent one. So for now, I'm mainly concerned with what I have at home. I have the audioengines pointing down from a shelf above the fireplace, separated about 6 feet apart, and pointing directly at my head while I sit in a chair. I have the subwoofer in the corner about 7 feet from me, and 4 feet to the left of the left audioengine speaker. I just posted in the forum about a dilemma I'm having. I am sending the source to the audioengines, then sending RCA's out of that to the subwoofer. The subwoofer has a built in crossover, but the audioengines are getting the full signal. The woofers on the audioengines sound muddy and distorted when the volume goes up. I was considering a 2 ways crossover, but could only find one that is in my budget (about 80 bucks including shipping by wall). I'm toying with a RCA piggyback method using FMOD high pass crossovers, fileters, whatever you call them. I would send a 3.5 to 2rca to subwoofer, the connectors at the subwoofer would have a female in where I would insert the FMODs (100 or 150 high pass), then run another RCA from those to the audioengines. WOuld this work, introduce problems? Be a viable budget solution? I hope this post isn't redundant, with the other one I posted minutes ago. What else about me? Well, I love biking, running, swimming in the ocean. And preferably, blasting music while doing EVERYTHING! THanks for reading folks, I am excited about nerding out by reading what all you smart individuals have to say about everything Audio/video gadgetry!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks