What's new

Introduction of AIX Records (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
AIX has gone beyond the call of duty in creating the ultimate hi-res experience with their releases: audio commentaries, multi-angle video & mixes, all the stuff that the SACD audiophile gang just loathe, but I absolutely love.
Reggie,
I don't loathe this - I think Mark should be commended for these extra features. I am all for more money for the consumer dollar. Some in the Asylum have objected to some players' need for video connection and this I agree with, but remember they don't call it the Asylum for nothing!
Mark,
As an engineer, I would be very interested in your recording technique since you use some many mics. As a Chesky-trained engineer, I am a firm believer in fewer circuits is better, but I like your sound generally. A few questions come to mind:
How do you mix in cleanly all of those 24 microphones? What mics do you use?
Do you think that mic cable makes a difference? What do you use?
Do you use heavily weighted mic trees?
There are several technical people on the board who would have an interest in your answers. Thanks in advance. :)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Lee.

I have a Sony 222es on the way tomorrow, and really look forward to seeing how it contrasts with DVD-A. I really look forward to enjoying both formats in the months ahead. However, as yourself and many others have pointed out in the past, the SACD components tend to be better than their DVD-A counterparts. For example, I definitely believe that the 222es will be MUCH better for SACD than my JVC 721BK will be for DVD-A. The JVC has always been considered a mediocre DVD-A/CD unit at best. I am currently looking at the Denon 1600 for DVD-A chores, but may wait and see what happens over the next few months. I would like a Denon 3800 for its audio performance, but will wait to consider it when they fix the glitches. I would also like to express what a pleasure it is to have individuals such as yourself, Mark, and John here to really educate us on all things hi-res. It's really a blast reading your posts.

Reg

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to hearing the DTS "stage" mix on the Beethoven/Resphigi DVD-A. Mark, on your website you expressed interest in seeing people's reactions to the the two mixes. FWIW, here is mine:

For the Beethoven symphony, I preferred the audience mix. The melodic nature of the piece just feels better in more traditional setting to me.

However, I liked the stage mix for the Pines of Rome more than its audience mix. The impressionistic tone-poem nature of the music is very effective with the more agressive mix.

Either way, it's great to have both.

Yesterday I listened to the Brahms disc's stereo track to get familiar with the music (I have never heard this piece before). Today, I hope to listen to the DVD-A audience mix.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Did you call or email AIX when you ordered? I sent an email to them last week but I've yet to get a reply. I emailed because I was hoping to get a complete list of available discs. The list on the website didn't seem up to date. I planned on buying through AIX but I might just head over to DVDempire.

Have you had a chance to listen to the Patrice Rushen disc?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just got it from DVDEmpire. I no Mr. Waldrep asked us to go through them directly, but the only thing I found was a snail-mail address to send a check to. I don't like buying things that way.
I strongly recommend to AIX that they develop some sort of on-line purchasing option.
I have not listened to the Patrice Rushen disc yet (and thanks for remembering what I bought :)). I plan on exhausting all the features of each disc before moving on to the next one.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Mike. DVDempire here I come.
>>I have not listened to the Patrice Rushen disc yet (and thanks for remembering what I bought

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Listers,

I've just gotten off a plane from Amsterdam, doing my part to promote DVD-Audio/Video to the Europeans at the Replitech show. I've only got a moment right now...but will respond to everything posted over the past few days.

I've got 250 emails to wade through. Sorry about the eCommerce thing...you can always email me directly or use the 800 number. Also, Janice Davies ([email protected]) will be glad to help.

More later...

Mark (jet-lagged) Waldrep
AIX Records

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hey everybody, check out what I'm considering to use for my new signature:
I hang on every word you type. You are my idol and I memorize all that you tell us.
-Jim_C
:D
Mark, hope the trip went well.

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator
After a long rest last night, I was naturally quite pleased to read the encouraging posts over the past few days. Here are some responses of mine...

The choice of the "Super Jewel Box - King Size" as opposed to the "Super Jewel Box - Plus Size" for our premium titles is the inclusion of a complete video side. There is confusion associated with the packaging of high-resolution products...but since we have taken the time and trouble to provide video along with great audio...it seemed appropriate to put the product in a "video sized" box. There are 10 more titles coming soon that will use the smaller case because they don't include the video.

These new titles are the results of ten of recording in Bucharest, Romania last August. We engaged the George Enescu Philharmonic Orchestra to play some of my favorite repertoire and got some surprises as well during our stay. I'll share more of the details if folks are interested...probably better to put that stuff in the AIX Records newsletter. The titles include: Ravel/Stravinsky - Bolero/Firebird Suite 1919, Mozart - 26 and 41 "Jupiter", Bach - Brandenburg 3 & 5, Hadyn - Piano Trios, Scarlatti/Beethoven - Woodwind QUintets, Handel/Marcello/Vivaldi - Concerti and others.

They will have four different "Groups". Group I is the MLP "audience" mix, Group 2 the 96 kHz/24 Bit stereo mix, Group 3 the Dolby Digital "audience mix" and Group 4 the DTS "stage mix. Users will be able to access any track without on-screen navigation. These will, of course, be priced at less than $20.

That's all for now...

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Hey everybody, check out what I'm considering to use for my new signature:
I hang on every word you type. You are my idol and I memorize all that you tell us.
-Jim_C

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator
Your question regarding microphones and recording techniques could be potentially long-winded and maybe not much interest to others on this list. What I can say is that my background of 25 years of engineering established both familiarity and interest in close miking as well as using a single stereo pair to capture and entire group. My doctoral disseration had a component on binaural research and I have done a fair amount of recording using the "Fritz" head from Neumann. My current preference is for a close up sound, always done with a stereo pair of large diaphram mics (U-87s etc). This ensures that the envelop of sound depth is captured along with the direct acoustical information of the instrument. This is not a common practice among commercial engineers...most recording is done with a single mic on each instrument and then "panned" to the appropriate location....this creates "flat" sounding recordings. Engineers then use reverberation and delays to put the depth back into the tracks...good for pop music not good for jazz or classical music.

I started using lots of mics for two reasons...the sound and the flexibility of post production mixing into various types of 5.1 approaches as well as stereo. If you are rigorous about checking phase and careful about placement...the use of multiple mics can be a powerful way to capture any ensemble. It results in a sound that I prefer over the more distant techniques of Tom Jung and David Chesky's guys...it's a matter of personal taste.

Hope this explanation is helpful.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Mark. I can't wait for some of those future releases.

>>Users will be able to access any track without on-screen navigation.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm finishing up listening to the Patrice Rushen DTS "stage" mix, having heard the MLP side yesterday.

Musically, it's a pleasant set. IIRC, Rushen is a singer-songwriter, and brings a very melodic sensibility to the table... er, piano. The rhythm section is low and sweet.

Sonically, I enjoy the DTS mix more, which puts the rhythm section more strongly in the back. The MLP mix is mostly in the front, with "ambience" and such in the back.

The video is odd- the band is not seen playing during the standards (including selections by Coltrane, Gillespie, and Monk). I was looking forward to seeing Rushen play her piano transcription of Night In Tunisia. The band is shown playing the other songs. Why is this?

Overall, a pleasant edition to my collection.

Of the three DVD-As I got from AIX, the Beethoven one is my favorite.

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, in regards to your question to the lack of video on selected tunes within the Patrice Rushen DVD-Audio/Video. There is something called a "sync license" that record companies and broadcasters have to pay to writers and publishers whenever their music is used in conjunction with images...either video or stills. Unlike the mandated $.08 per tune per unit mechanical royalty, the sync fee is something to be negotiated independently and can range from $.10 to $.35 per tune per unit. The publishers of the standards either wouldn't respond to our request or wanted too much for each track...so I chose to omit the video segments for those tracks. It's a huge issue right now for DVD-AUdio...which uses stills to accompany the music. If the user causes the stills to come onto the screen as opposed to automatic or "slide show" mode, the payment of a sync license is handled differently. Big debates and I'm too small to enter the fray...sorry for the omission. That's the reason.

BTW I prefer the "stage" DTS mix as well...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jim, I am using the Pioneer Elite DV-47A universal.

Mark, that sucks about the sync fee. I would have thought that once you pay for the rights to the tune, that's it.
Suggestion: next time this happens, put some kind of warning or notice somewhere, like maybe on the title screen that replaces the missing video.

By the way, as a huge Monk fanatic, I appreciate Rushen's low key interpretation of I Mean You. The group's performance on Mr PC is a great track and a wonderful choice to open up the album with (especially playing that tune without a sax). While I'm not too crazy about A Night In Tunisia, it is cool to hear a no-horn version of it.

Edit: I meant to say that I am not too crazy about Rushen's version of Tunisia. The song itself is one of my favorites of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks