Introduction of AIX Records

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Waldrep, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Mark_Waldrep

Mark_Waldrep Stunt Coordinator

At the suggestion of one of your regular readers, I have decided to join your forum. I'm not here as a sales person or promotions guy...I have acquired a certain amount of information about high-resolution audio, formats, recording techniques, and industry information that I am willing to share. I have my opinions regardings formats and multichannel audio...and I will offer some thoughts on these topics.

I have been an audio engineer, producer, academic (I teach audio and digital media at CSU Dominguez Hills), and small label owner for 25 years. AIX Media Group, owns and operates a high-resolution digital (PCM) multi-track recording and mixing system.

I make the best recordings and products that I can using the finest musicians, halls, and equipment available. I write and speak extensively on the topic of DVD and especially DVD-Audio. In the end, it's not about the inherent sound of a format but about the skill of the individuals doing the creative and technical work for a project. For me, DVD-Audio/Video provides creative and technical options that others cannot at the present time. I've made and released the largest catalog of native 96 Khz/24 bit recordings through AIX Records...people seem to like what we're doing. I'm interested in what readers of this forum think...

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Mark, a warm welcome to the forum!
    I myself have not yet had the pleasure of hearing one of your products, but will do so ASAP (if anyone would be so kind as to provide a link where I can buy them [​IMG] ).
    I've read many positive things about the discs.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Thanks for joining us. I think 96/24 audio sounds great whether it be from DVD-V, DVD-A, or ProTools. [​IMG]

4. Mark_Waldrep

Thanks for the encouraging and supportive welcome. I'm confident that you will enjoy our work.

A quick comment about where to find our releases...

They are available through some web sites...DVDEmpire carries them. Of course, purchasing them directly from us is an option as well. You can order them by sending email or simply by calling our 800 number. I don't want to become the sales geek here so find your way to our site and poke around.

The reason I mention buying direct is because it allows us to recoup our expenses faster than selling through another web site or retailer. The more we can benefit from our efforts monetarily, the more products I'll be able to produce...that is, after all, my goal. I love to make great recordings and right now it's not a particularly profitable thing to do.

I hope our reputation grows and that purchasers will support us as directly as possible. Thanks

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I have just ordered three titles:

Beethoven's 6th / Pines of Rome

Brahms Piano Quintet

Patrice Rushen Trio

Can't wait to get 'em.

6. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Great to have you here.....I had seen you post on the Asylum, but better off here...people here are much more professional in nature.

I look foward to reading your comments and hearing about AIX records. I think what your company is doing is great.

Finally, I enjoyed the sampler that I got at last years Home Entertainment Expo, and look foward to any releases that your company may consider in the rock/pop genre.

Eric.

7. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Welcome Dr. Waldrep,

I must say, your approach to DVD-A is the best I've seen. The Beethoven is my favorite DVD-A disc so far, truly amazing. I have four of the five AIX discs available and am awaiting the Bach Cello Suites disc. Keep up the good work.

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Mark,
    Welcome to the forum. I'm a big fan of the AIX discs and purchased several of them (Zephyr, Nitty Gritty and Patrice Rushen) at the recent NYC HT Expo. (I believe I talked to you about the long delay between the introduction of your excellent Demo disc and the actual release of the titles. That was you, right?)
    Note: For those of you wondering, it was explained that customers were asking for a straight two channel mix on the discs as well as everything else so this caused a slight delay in finalizing the products.
    Incidentally, I think the titles offer something for everyone. DTS, 2 channel PCM, DVD-A, DVD-V, 96/24/5.1 mix, "audience" mode, "stage" mode, etc. etc. Quite a bit (no pun intended) of information packed into each two-sided DVD. I personally love the sound of these discs (check out some of the voices in the Zephyr offerings) and use them to showcase what my system is capable of doing.
    I've had some discussions with a few people who prefer miking in the more traditional manner but if you are interested in hearing some very nice performances up close and personal give AIX a shot. I believe there is a Demo disc still available which is highly recommended.
    Like I said, something for everyone.
    From one "Doc" to another, Welcome aboard, Mark.
    [​IMG]
    (If you want to see more about my system check out the HT link in my signature.)

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Mark,
    A very warm welcome to the Forum! [​IMG] We will do our best to be more civil here than the Audio Asylum, although I find that is generally the case. And while my signature may give my thinking away a bit, I think any high rez format is a great thing and I look forward to your future postings.
    Maybe now we need to recruit Michael Bishop now to balance out the two high rez format discussion! [​IMG]
    I have heard and appreciated your discs and wish your company continued success!
    Many thanks for participating.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, I have yet to pick up any of the AIX DVD-Audio discs, but I've been meaning to start off with the sampler disc. Does the sampler have a dedicated stereo DVD-Audio track? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it doesn't.

Like Robert said, from one "Doc" to another, welcome.

11. Sam Rossi

Sam Rossi Extra

The Nitty Gritty Surround DVD-A sounds tremendous, particularly the DTS track...real ear candy and cutting-edge demo material. Highly recommended if you enjoy the warmth of acoustic instruments, i.e. mandolins, fiddle, banjo, guitar, etc. The Jennifer Warnes vocal tracks are just pristine. An AIX triumph !

Sam R.

12. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

From the other thread:

>>I have played my stuff for the member of Tool

13. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Glad to see you made it over Mark. I hope you find your stay here at the HTF pleasurable [​IMG]
    Reg

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Mark,

Are you authoring your 96/24 tracks to be accessible on the DVD-Video session like DADs? That would be really neato.

15. Mark_Waldrep

The 96 khz/24 bit Stereo PCM mixes on our releases are accessible on all DVD-Video machines and DVD-Audio players...the same as Classic and Chesky. The difference is that these mixes were created from source materials that were also 96/24...rather than analog or low-resolution digital. AIX titles are all new recordings that hopefully demonstrate the benefits of making "native" high resolution products. I am also part of Hi-Res Music, which has licensed a bunch of titles from Concord and Capitol for release as 96/24 PCM stereo DVDs (again compatible with all DVD players). The AIX Sampler, however, doesn't have any high-resolution stereo tracks on it...I decided to include them after the HiFi show in 2001.

BTW...a new sampler is on the way.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, thanks for providing more information. So, the new sampler will have high-resolution stereo tracks, right? [​IMG] Also, have you done any work in 24/192? What are your feelings on 24/192 versus 24/96?

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thread resurrection!
    Well, I got my AIX DVD-As in the mail the other day. The only one I've been playing with so far is the Beethoven/Resphigi disc. I figured I'd introduce myself to AIX product via music I am familiar with.
    I popped this in eagerly- both reading about AIX on this thread and visiting their web site, as well as the 6th being one of my favorite musical pieces since seeing Fantasia as a child a long time ago made me anticipate hearing it.
    I put on the DVD-A side (audience mix) yesterday.
    Sound- freakin' great (that's about as technical as I know how to get).
    I encourage interested parties to check out Mr. Waldrep's articles on the web site. He makes an excellent point about how dredging up older recordings does not allow one to experience the full benefit of DVD-Audio. While I enjoy the surround mixes of the Doors and Queen, the original recording limitations doesn't give us a chance to hear the high-resolution at its best. This release from AIX does.
    I just finished checking out the Dolby Digital video track with the commentary. It was... interesting. The commentator for Beethoven was very sarcastic- "Finally, a minor chord!," that sort of thing (I wanted to yell at her- "It's supposed to be a pastoral piece, of course there's going to be a lot of major chords and variants on the theme!"). The commentary for Resphigi was the complete opposite, by the conductor himself, going on about the beauty and the joy and such.
    I have yet to hear the DTS "stage" mix track yet. I regret that that, too, could not be DVD-A. I wonder if they have ever considered double disc releases?
    I plan on exhausting this disc before moving on to the other two. I simply could not have foreseen so much stuff on one disc!
    The only thing I really dislike is the extra-tall cases the disc comes in- yes, even bigger than other DVD-As. Why do this? One of them cracked while I was taking off the plastic wrap, even though I didn't really press that hard. Very annoying, but at least it's not as bad as those Sony SACD slipcases.
    On the web site, Mr. Waldrep also describes the recording and mixing of this project. A great supliment to the disc.
    As he was reluctant to give out the URL, I'll do it:
    www.aixrecords.com
    So far, I'm really enjoying the discs. One thing I'm worried about is that I know my surround speakers are weak and not matched with the mains, so my opinion on the stage mix will not be of much value.

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

19. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Mike,

AIX has gone beyond the call of duty in creating the ultimate hi-res experience with their releases: audio commentaries, multi-angle video & mixes, all the stuff that the SACD audiophile gang just loathe, but I absolutely love. With a 24.95 msrp, I feel that you should give the listener all that you can in one package. AIX does have some audio only DVD-5's coming for a lower price, so this should be interesting.

Reg

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Lee,
    I insist on keeping any packaging that comes with a product, including slipcases. Those things actually look cool- it's not their existence that bugs me, as they fit fine on my CD racks (much better than DVD-As). What sucks is how they do it: they put that security sticker on the top inside the slipcase, so that it's very difficult to slide the CD out without damaging the slipcase. Today, I returned a Leanord Bernstein SACD because I could not get the jewel case out without damaging the slipcase. This is the second time it has happened. Either Sony should put the sticker around the slipcase itself, get rid of the sticker, or stop using slipcases. Their current setup is horrid. While HTF members bitch and joke about how hard it is to crack open a DVD, it is a pleasure compared to Sony SACDs.
    Plus, their discs aren't hybrids and they insist on churning more older material than focusing on newer recordings, but that's another story...
    Yeah, I have a big beef with Sony.
    Reggie,
    I totally agree with you. AIX is truly taking advantage of what DVD-A has to offer that SACD doesn't. If this sort of product became the rule rather than the exception for DVD-A, and if they could lower prices a little, I believe the format would become huge. The fact that I've listened to the same disc twice and there's still tons of stuff to explore on it is great. [​IMG]