What's new

Introducing Samsung TV Upgrade: Get a new TV every two years (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What a fantastic idea! I think I may opt to go this route. A brand new television every two years.

Have to work out the math and see if this is really as good as it sounds!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What do you guys think?

0% financing and a new TV every two years.
It's like having a vehicle lease that you have to budget for. However, like you stated, you'll have to run the numbers to see your monthly cost and then figure out how it fits your budget.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What do you guys think?

0% financing and a new TV every two years.

Brand loyalty for sure. Samsung's exclusion of Dolby Vision still has me puzzled, and the reason I would have to think it over before I would make my decision.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
After my bad experiences with Samsung products (TV, phone, and fridge), I'm cautious about purchasing anything from them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'd be leery of this myself, but as others said you have to run the numbers and take into account how often you upgrade your display now. One statement on the website would really concern me: "Purchase a new qualifying TV under the Upgrade Program and receive a credit of up to 33% of the cost of your current TV." What does "up to 33%" really mean -- actually 33%, or would it be much less?

I've never been one to lease a car, so the math would have to work out well in my favor before I would consider this. We are now leasing our smart phones through Sprint, though, so I guess I can be convinced under the right circumstances.

gralenk

Agent
Real Name
gralen young
My first HD T.V lasted 5 years and my girl friends lasted 3. I am a little lerry of Samsung T.Vs. My Panisonic is still going strong

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I don't know this seems like a ok deal, but no Dolby Vision kinda kills it unless you really think HDR10+ is going to win in the end. With Samsung's and Sony announcement that 8K TVs may arrive by the end of the year I'm waiting anyway.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I know I'm a very small sub-niche, but even if we were talking about more companies than Samsung, such an idea would be a complete non-starter for somebody like me who feels having a TV compatible with PAL and 1080i/50 are absolute, no-compromise requirements.

No US-marketed TV is going to advertise these capabilities, and some brands (OEM Panasonic and Samsung) go out of their way to defeat such compatibility via software, so the only way to really know is from (limited) second-hand information or to do what I did and actually take one's player +sample discs for some in-store testing.

I just couldn't go through with that hassle every two years.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'd be leery of this myself, but as others said you have to run the numbers and take into account how often you upgrade your display now. One statement on the website would really concern me: "Purchase a new qualifying TV under the Upgrade Program and receive a credit of up to 33% of the cost of your current TV." What does "up to 33%" really mean -- actually 33%, or would it be much less?

I've never been one to lease a car, so the math would have to work out well in my favor before I would consider this. We are now leasing our smart phones through Sprint, though, so I guess I can be convinced under the right circumstances.

I assume that since you are financing a three year purchase, but can upgrade at two years, the ‘up to 33%’ means that they pay off the remaining balance.

If you get a new model at 24 months, they pay the remaining 12 months (33%). At 30 months the pay for 6 months (16.6%)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Not for me. Now if we were talking about projectors I'd be all over it. :)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
If you feel compelled to "keep up with the Jones", this might be the deal for you but TV tech does not change dramatically that often for me to want a new TV every two years. It is great for Samsung in that it creates a steady income stream, but as a consumer, I don't see the value for this particular scenario.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I dislike the idea that we'll "need" to upgrade our TVs every few years. I bet the consumer electronics industry would like us to, but TV technology is already further ahead than where the content producers are. The amount of material that's available currently in the UHD HDR format (whether via streaming or on physical media) is a drop in the bucket compared to all other formats.

The only way yearly or every-other-year upgrades become necessary is if video standards keep changing that quickly, and I sincerely hope that no one attempts to try to force that. Again, the overwhelming amount of content produced today is finalized at 2K for theatrical exhibition or in HD for television broadcast. If that's where we are with content, even if 4K UHD TVs are becoming the norm today, I can't imagine the content creators would be ready for 8K or higher anytime soon.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My first Samsung TV lasted 3 months, the second only two years (same model and same issue). Replaced with LG and never looked back.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
This plan makes no sense to me.

If you upgrade every two years, and for the sake of easy math lets say the prices don't increase, and you choose the $3500 set, you'll be paying just under $100 a month. So even though you will have paid only about 2400 for each 3500 tv, after eight years you will jave paid 9600 and still be watching a 3500 tv.

And if you upgrade only every four years, then after eight years you will have paid 7000 and still only be watching only a 3500 tv.

And if you upgrade after more than four years, then theres no benefit, youre just outright buying a new tv.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Ok, I just re read my post, and realized the flaw in my logic. I assumed upgrading was a one for one swap. Using the cell phone comparison, people don't usually keep or use their old phones. But I guess if you just move the old tv to another room then over 8 years you would have three sets that you saved $1200 on.

But if you need multiple sets 8 years seems like a long way to go to acquire them. Just wait for black Friday.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Huh. It seems that you keep the initial tv rather than returning it for a trade-in. That’s contrary to what I expected. Car and phone leasing, you don’t keep the old car or phone.

Also: “Neither the Initial Device nor the Upgrade Device may be resold.”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks