What's new

Introducing Myself to the Forum (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Dennis
Hello. I am a retired Associate professor who taught computer literacy to freshmen who came into the college way back when computer literacy was new. I have a degree in technology with some background electronics but home theater technology has been known to confound me, especially HDMI. Perhaps it is because I have had some HDMI problems with my hardware. I have set up several sound systems but am at present returning to some older equipment and joined this forum for tips and tricks as they come along. The forum looks very professional and well run so it should be a great experience. Thanks for letting me join and I hope I can contribute as well.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dennis:

Welcome to the forum: :welcome:

We pride ourselves in Keeping the discussions civil and on point. Thanks for noticing! Flattery will get you everywhere! :biggrin:

I hope you find the information you are looking for. Actually, I'm sure you will. We have a ton of experts on all things HT hanging around. And the great thing is..they are more than willing to share their knowledge.

In the upper right-hand corner of any HTF page, you will also find a search field. Enter a few keywords on the subjects that interest you (HDMI, for example) and you may find that some already existing threads will give you some answers. But, please feel free to directly ask your questions.

cryodude

Auditioning
Real Name
stan
Howdy all, I'm more of an audio enthusiast than an a/v dude, but i do love my home theater set up also. I was in sales and management for 35 years. I retired about 5 years ago at the ripe old age of 56. I don't miss the grind much, and i've spent most of the last 4 1/2 years working on our 2nd home/rental property and remodeling/expanding our home. I also love to read, bowl, play softball and garden, especially my medicinal garden. Not to fret folks, I'm a legal beagle... in 2 states. I don't want trouble with the law.. Something i didn't worry about 35-40 years ago. But i suppose with age comes a bit of common sense and respect.

Anyhow, I joined because it's time to finally upgrade my HD theater system to 4k/HDR!!!!! I was an early adopter of HD back in 2005 and i still have that whole system running and except for a couple pair of BW 685-2 speakers its all still what i bought back then until last weekend when we got our new home theater center and discovered that the console part for the tv and av equipment didn't exactly have the measurements i thought. The table for the tv is 17" deep but the cabinet underneath is only 14" deep and my pioneer elite receiver with the front knobs and back side speaker nuts sticking out comes in at 19 1/2" so it looked really stupid with this massive hunk of wood 7 1/2' high and 9 1/2' wide sitting out 6 inches from the wall. So i did some quick research and found that Marantz made a receiver that will fit my requirements and was only 13 1/2" deep so i now have my first receiver in 40 years that isn't a pioneer.

I'm searching for all the info i can on tv's/4k blu-ray players ( i know they just got sort of released this past week at CES), so i am ready to throw away some cash to get current on technology again, even if it's probably not even going to be 6 months before this change again.

Also, is there a profile page here?? I'll stick my silly avatar on there!! Thanks again for having me and i look forward to getting involved to some degree in the forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks