What's new

Introducing.... Home Theater United: The Home Theater Forum Podcast! This one goes to 11! (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was just a tiny bit too young for that... so I wound up playing with my grandparents regular 8mm silent projector and movies (have the camera but no film), and my dad’s full size VHS camcorder that came in a suitcase with detachable battery packs and such.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Listening.

What’s the “What are you watching?” song? Is that original or taken from a show? Super mellow, not what I expected, so guessing there’s a reference or story there. :)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need to go read the Knives Out thread. While I enjoyed it as a solid movie, I don’t understand the over the top accolades, represented by Sam’s comments. Partly, I had the wrong expectations. From what people said, I was expecting a modern take on Clue, with a lot more humor and multiple endings. So, it ended, the credits rolled, and I was let down that it was just a conventional murder mystery.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FWIW, The Mandalorian S2 finale is the best Star Wars in about 40 years. I was burned out by Star Wars after the last two movies (and even Solo to some extent) and had no interest in watching Mando.

The Mandalorian redeems Star Wars. It fills a Star Wars-shaped hole in my heart I didn’t know was there. This is what we’ve been waiting for since 1983.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And now I have questions:

@Sam Posten Obviously, you could upgrade your Hulu do ad-free if you really cared. It sounds like you're offended that they even offer an ad-supported service. This is a psychology issue really, but would you prefer that a service not even offer an ad-supported service and only offer the full-price, no-ad option a la Netflix and Disney?

@Brian Dobbs I get the view of not doing streaming because discs are higher quality. I'm missing something re: buying DVDs over much higher quality HD / UHD streaming of a show. Is your approach just that you want to own a thing, you need a disc on a shelf? Or an anti-subscription approach: you don't want all those vampire services taking $10 a month out of your pocket?

LetterKenny is on my list now. I love a good "Canadian" show. And I need more comedy. And I've Hulu (sans ads). Will have to check out!

And now I'm only one HTU episode behind.

Last edited:

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
buying DVDs over much higher quality HD / UHD streaming of a show. Is your approach just that you want to own a thing, you need a disc on a shelf? Or an anti-subscription approach: you don't want all those vampire services taking $10 a month out of your pocket?
For something like Handmaid's, I'm fine with DVD quality. For something like GoT or True Detective, blu-ray all the way. I am years behind and can't keep up with the latest shows, let alone keeping track of what service they're on. Paying for streaming would be a waste because I literally wouldn't use it. This may change in 10 years. Owning something gives me peace of mind as well. I don't have to worry if I have a subscription or if the subscription service itself is around anymore!

I actually have anxiety now because I can't seem to keep up with movie news these days either! But that may be good because it spoils too much anyway. The drawback is that I might miss an indie film being promoted.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I see. I don’t do DVDs at all, unless that’s the original format (or I bought it pre-blu-ray on DVD, particulary my TV series Futurama and Community). I’ve now started buying 4K discs (when I buy discs) with a view towards a 4K projector.

And also, personal taste, Handmaid’s Tale is top-tier viewing, projector, full attention. It’s definitely not background, DVD for me! :)

But I haven’t watched GOT, so what do I know? ;)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I actually have anxiety now because I can't seem to keep up with movie news these days either! But that may be good because it spoils too much anyway. The drawback is that I might miss an indie film being promoted.
I’ve got FOMO over TV series. :) I watch few movies these days (in part because of hearing loss makes it hard to enjoy movies like I used to), so TV is my jam. And there are so many amazing shows I don’t have time for.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I see. I don’t do DVDs at all, unless that’s the original format (or I bought it pre-blu-ray on DVD, particulary my TV series Futurama and Community). I’ve now started buying 4K discs (when I buy discs) with a view towards a 4K projector.

And also, personal taste, Handmaid’s Tale is top-tier viewing, projector, full attention. It’s definitely not background, DVD for me! :)

But I haven’t watched GOT, so what do I know? ;)
Handmaid's it definitely good storytelling. Visually and acoustically though, GoT is in a bracket all by itself! Great sound and music...gotta love that Atmos!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
@Sam Posten Obviously, you could upgrade your Hulu do ad-free if you really cared. It sounds like you're offended that they even offer an ad-supported service. This is a psychology issue really, but would you prefer that a service not even offer an ad-supported service and only offer the full-price, no-ad option a la Netflix and Disney?

Yeah I get that my stance on ads makes me sound like an entitled douche but I can't stand them. I hold with Banksy on this one.
1610985227951.png

And yes. Either fully ad free or 100% ad supported. Tiers are dumb. Having 'sorta' ad free in the middle is even dumber.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d be curious to see numbers - which these companies aren’t likely to release - to see how many people go for one tier vs another. Initially I said I had no interest in Peacock but I ended up signing up for the free version because I had wanted to see some Alfred Hitchcock Presents and that was where it lived. The free version only made me watch one fifteen second ad per episode. That wasn’t unreasonable to me. It was a better solution for me than ordering a disc and waiting for it to arrive all to see one or two episodes, when it was just a whim I wanted to indulge in that second.

I don’t know if that’s the standard Peacock experience but a 15 second ad to watch one 30 minute program was a balance I could live with.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah I get that my stance on ads makes me sound like an entitled douche but I can't stand them. I hold with Banksy on this one.

And yes. Either fully ad free or 100% ad supported. Tiers are dumb. Having 'sorta' ad free in the middle is even dumber.
I got nothing against an anti-ad approach. I’ve had a TiVo for going on 15 years. All my streaming services are now full-price, no ads.

I didn’t understand your “I hate ads, but I won’t pay to remove ads” perspective. I‘m still curious why you didn’t just upgrade your Hulu so you could enjoy the shows fully, given a visceral hate of their ads (I did the $1/mo trial year with ads and they were annoying, but for $1/mo I couldn’t complain.)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've had ad-free Hulu from the day I signed up. Best $4/month I've ever spent. I don't understand the stance of refusing to get an ad-free service, while refusing to even buy a service at all that offers it because you hate ads.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
I got nothing against an anti-ad approach. I’ve had a TiVo for going on 15 years. All my streaming services are now full-price, no ads.

I didn’t understand your “I hate ads, but I won’t pay to remove ads” perspective. I‘m still curious why you didn’t just upgrade your Hulu so you could enjoy the shows fully, given a visceral hate of their ads (I did the $1/mo trial year with ads and they were annoying, but for $1/mo I couldn’t complain.)
Because I don’t watch much broadcast TV. The only things I have faved were Letterkenny and Handmaid. That was worth the $20 to put up with ads for two shows but not enough to go all in for ad free.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The primary way I use it is for any show on ABC, NBC or Fox that I want to watch, and there are several. It just lets me watch them whenever I want to. That plus their original stuff, but as an unlimited DVR for those networks is the main use. Well worth the $12 for me.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't have the Hulu + Live TV option. Just ad-free streaming.

These are my primary reasons for Hulu:
Handmaid's Tale
Veronica Mars
Star vs the Forces of Evil
Palm Springs

If I had time, I'm interested in other exclusives:
Animaniacs
Letterkenny (apparently :) )
Solar Opposites
Castle Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors