Intro reading for FP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Smith, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Anybody have any suggested reading material to learn a little about front projection? I'd like to learn more about light output required for certain distances/sizes and that sort of thing. I'd also be interested in reading all the factors one should consider when choosing between RP and FP. For example, if I had a room where I had complete control of the lighting, would FP definitely be the way to go if I could afford it? My purchase is still a couple of years out, but I'd like to learn more about the video end of things since I have been doing most of my learning in the audio areas.

Thanks.

2. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Hi Jonathon,
    I was in your shoes not all that long ago, trying to figure all the in's and out's of what kind of monitor to get. I was originally going for RPTV, but have opted for FPTV instead. There are pro's and con's to each. The problem is, the pro's and con's are very subjective. This, of course, doesn't do a whole lot to answer your question.
    Here's what I did: keep reading on this forum and over at AVS Forum and try to pick up as much info as you possibly can. Just doing that has been very helpful for me. The best thing, though, is to go out to your local AV shops and see what they have in both RP and FP units. See which kind you like best.
    What kind of application will you be using it for (DVD's only, or also TV)? Is this going to be for a dedicated home theater room, or is it in a living room? How's the light control in the area you want to put the unit in? And last but not least, what's your budget?

3. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I don't know the answers to any of your questions yet. I am going off to grad school in the fall and will not be setting up a HT in the dorm for at least the first year (I am "donating" my audio setup to my parents for a year or two). I was just kind of looking for general info to learn some more about the technologies so that I can be well-informed when I do start looking.

I have seen some FP posts around here, but it seems like the majority are about RPTV's, so I was just wondering if anyone knew of some good sights with reference material.

4. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

AVS Forum (linked in my last post) has more posts devoted to FP, so you might try looking around over there. When you do start shopping, you might consider looking into the Plus Piano HE-3100 or 3200 . Excellent projectors for the money. I'm going to be buying the 3200 in a couple of months. This is just one recommendation, there are a lot of good projectors out there. Good luck, and sorry I don't have more concrete info to give you on a source for information. I just hung around the aforementioned websites and picked up what I needed to know!