What's new

Intrigued by DIY (1 Viewer)

KenLars

Auditioning
I'm looking to get some new speakers for my HT...and I also listen to music too. I haven't been looking for any audio components for a long time...I'm more of a buy good, and keep for a long time kind of person. I had just been thinking about buying already made speakers but I'm reasonably handy particularly with wood so this DIY is intriguing. If any, what kit would you recommend for the following: High quality (say about $1000 for pair tops..but it's not like I have to spend that much) and bookshelf (up to maybe 22" tall) against the wall (not out from the wall) speakers. I'd actually be looking for the front three to start and then adding a subwoofer and pair of surrounds later. I haven't selected a receiver yet but will get one after I get the new speakers.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I'll let others recommend speakers but if you are even a little handy with woodworking I wholeheartedly encourage to build a set. It's very rewarding and you get great speakers out of the deal. I'm only familiar with GR Research DIY speakers; check them and others out at www.audiocircle.com

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
I would also give the Eros MKII from www.speakerbuilder.net
They look like a great set of speakers and are around your price. I think they will most likely be the next set that I build for myself.

KenLars

Auditioning
I was looking at the GR research and called Creative Solutions (?) about the Criterion and Dulcineo which looked liked they might fit the bill. However, discussion with a gentleman at Creative revealed that these speakers were not meant to be placed against a wall but rather a foot or two away from it...and I want a speaker that can live happily on the wall.

Looks like some good info so thanks for the websites. The Eros II though looks (pics that I see) like a floor standing speaker and I'm definitely after a bookshelf so I don't think that will fit...or maybe I missed something as my web browser and speakerbuilder weren't getting along well.

After looking at these sites, I do have a question what is a MT or MTM speaker? It seems to be a term to describe a type of speaker.

Other sites that I've been looking at that may have speakers that I'm interested in are North Creek and Salk Sounds. Anybody built their kits/bought their speakers? or I'm looking for other potential candidates...

Seth_L

Screenwriter
M = Midwoofer
T = Tweeter

So a MT has a Midwoofer and a Tweeter, and a MTM has a Midwoofer, a Tweeter, and another Midwoofer.

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
There are so many designs out there, just keep looking around. North Creek Music Systems has some nice kits and there are plenty of DIYers around that have made some very nice stuff. Look on the Parts Express and Madisound forums, alot of the serious DIY designers hang around there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks