"Intolerance" (1916)...again

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jo_C, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Just to let you know (or to warn you) that "Intolerance" is currently showing on TCM, but it is not the "official" restored version that the TCM website boasts, with an orchestral score by Carl Davis.

This version is a Public Domain print with the Gaylord Carter organ score.

I urge you to seek out at least a VHS of the restored version with Davis' score. I have read reviews that this is far superior to any version that's out there.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Actually, it's the Film Preservation Associates (Blackhawk Films) version.

This version was put out on DVD (now OOP) by Image and FPA originally... Kino recently re-mastered the film for the Griffith collection (although, it has neither the Davis nor the Carter scores).

Also, the source print was also used by Republic to create their 123 min. (24fps) VHS and LD with the William Perry piano score.

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Don't be dissing Gaylord Carter. The man was a master of the theatre organ and one of the very best at what he did--and one of the last survivors of people who actually played for silents and knew how it was done from personal experience. [​IMG] The recordings may not be the best sonically, but they're close to 30 years old and you have to make allowances.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

I agree. I've only heard a few of Carter's scores... but they're all superb.

His score for Keaton's "Cops" is perfection.

Hopefully, when Paramount releases DVD's of their silent films, they'll retain the Gaylord Carter scores that were on the VHS and LD editions.

5. Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg Stunt Coordinator

A lot of newer silent film fans don't seem to like old-style organ and piano scores, they want all orchestral scores. As good as an orchestral is, there's still something to be said for the great scores of Carter and William Perry on piano.