**Into Thin Air** Will it Ever Hit the Big Screen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshB, Jun 26, 2002.

1. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I have been wondering for some time if someone in Hollywood will take the time to make a movie based on the real-life failed expedition to Mt. Everest in 1996 chronicled in Jon Krakhauer's harrowing book, Into Thin Air. Although it was Made for TV in 97', with such a limited budget and weak characters, they can't really create a compelling story in just 90 minutes. An event such as the Mt. Everest disaster could certaining make it to the big screen, with a sizable budget an able director, and the right cast, it could make for a excellant book to screen adaption.
    Although movies about mountains and mountain climbing have not generated a strong market(Cliffhanger and Vertical Limit are certainly not memorable ones), a survival story about people in an impossible situation struggling to survive in the most hostile environment in the world. With the level of special effects and the price tags for big-budgeted movies getting greater and more ridiculous (Pearl Harbor, $140 Million to make, and look at the results), one could make just about anything seem compelling. This is just my opinion, and I am wondering if you guys have an opinion on this, whether you have read the book, heard of the tragic accident, or have an opinion if such a movie should or could be made. My opinion, attach a director like Ridley Scott to it, and you will get results (even though he is attached to 9 other projects).
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection

2. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Scott would get the technical aspects correct but hasn't demonstrated an ability to handle the human element that well. Personally that would be the focus of the movie I would like to see.

There are many other directors who could do a better job with this material - Ang Lee, Spielberg, Fincher etc

3. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I'm in two minds on this one. It seems a bit gruesome and disrespectful, but on the other hand I did see and like The Perfect Storm, which is also a reasonably recent natural disaster. I'm just unsure how this would make a good film.

4. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Thats true. Scott, a director who is notable for striking visuals in his films, would undoubtably create a excellant film technically wise. Some of his films do lack a human element and often rely on the visuals to tell the story. Another good choice for director could be Wolfgang Peterson, director of Air Force One and The Perfect Storm. But already a problem there. The PErfect Storm, while featuring spectacular effects, was filled with cliched characters and situations, and not very true to the real life story it was trying to tell. Who knows, maybe he could get it right second time around.
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection

5. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Many real life events that were made into books ahave made it to the big screen in some way. We had Perfect Storm, then Black Hawk Down, and soon, Spielberg and Cruise are expeted to work together again on GHOST SOLDIERS, based on the Bataan Death march and the Rangers who rescued the prisoners from a Japanese POW Camp during WW2. Although it is difficult to make a movie based on incidents where people have dies, since you must consider the families and those who survived the incident. It makes telling a story more difficult and delicate when you know they are considered, since they lost family and friends in the tragedies. We will have to wait and see.
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection

6. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Ever see the IMAX documentary Everest? It was filmed at the same time and is far more powerful than any dramatization could ever be.

7. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Yes I saw it. Very compelling stuff. They actually show members of the ill-fated expedition. The IMAX crew are mentioned in the book as well. They actually considered abandoning their film project when word of the tragedy was heard on the mountain, but since the project was budgeted at several million dollars, they decided not to leave the mountain yet, and I beleive they helped eith the resuce and search efforts on Everest too.
    [​IMG]
    My DVD Collection

8. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

Josh,

You might want to consider changing your sig. It seems a bit "tall". Otherwise, I would love to see a this madeinto a movie with a director who could really handle it. Ang Lee would be an excellent choice, IMO.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I'd like to see this done, too. The book was very compelling- one of the best recent non-fiction reads, IMO. Did anyone watch the ABC PrimeTime special, years ago, covering the incident? Interesting stuff.

Not to be disrespectful to those who lost their lives, but this is a perfect case study of human arrogance in the face of nature.

Todd

10. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Frankly, I don't want to see this made into a theatrically released film. I've read the book, and found it powerful, moving, and well written. I really don't think there is any need for it to be translated to film.
    And, by the way, it HAS been shot as a film ... for TV. What I saw of it was just awful. Click here for IMDB's listing for it.
    I recently got rid of The Perfect Storm DVD for the same reasons...as well done as the film was, and helped me picture the storm, it simply did not have anywhere near the emotional impact of the book, and I don't think it could have.
    Some stories are simply better off as text pieces.
    Your mileage may vary, of course. [​IMG]