1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Into The Woods (Stephen Sondheim) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I can confirm that the new blu-ray is MONO when the old DVD is stereo.

It's clearly a different master, probably going back to the original broadcast. The reason I say that? The DVD starts with the title Into the Woods. The blu-ray starts with American Playhouse.

Mark Walker likes this.
  2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    You have got to be kidding me.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Ouch.

4. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    There was also a bit of a mix-up with Image's Blu-ray release of the 1995 stage version of "Victor/Victoria". It's a completely different performance to the one featured on the original DVD. 2 separate performances must have been shot in case of an emergency.

5. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

The DVD looks fine, like videotape circa 1991. The bluray looks very processed, saturated, overly contrasty, and blurry. It's a great show, get the DVD.

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I was there for that - and I just found my autographed playbill only a few weeks ago!

7. Eric HG

Eric HG Auditioning

Yes, it was filmed for NHK in Japan. I have a copy off of the master, which is thrilling since for over a decade I only had a really crappy copy--my new(er) copy also has a brief bit at the end with Hal Prince and, I think, Sondheim speaking to some of the Japanese TV execs.

*Apparently* 5 or so years back, Image was very interested in releasing it to DVD. The story I heard was they decided they'd have to do a full remastering, and that the cost probably wasn't worth any profit. (I thought they still had their Sondheim DVDs in print, but it looks like the filming of Passion is out of print as well--I can imagine that polarizing show sells less than Sunday or ITW, although I'm a big fan and it's a rare case where I appreciate they filmed it without an audience.) It's a shame--it's well filmed, and a stunning production. But PO has never been a best seller (while the cast album is always in print, notably it's the one pre 1990 Sondheim original cast album that was never reissued on CD in a remastered edition.)

There are a couple other "filmed for Japan" productions I'm surprised nobody has gotten the rights to--the original Gower Champion production of 42nd Street and the Tommy Tune production of Will Rogers Follies. Neither are favourties of mine, but they both are really great performances/productions...

At least the Sondheim shows didn't go the Trevor Nunn route with his Hugh Jackman Oklahoma! where they restaged it all on a soundstage--and yet inserted "fake" audience reactions and applause--oh and for much of it the cast lip synchs to the recording. I have no doubt this made the filming easier to control (Nunn did the same with his filmed version of his staging of Porgy and Bess,) but it gives it a very weird feel.

8. Eric HG

Eric HG Auditioning

Exactly. It ran nearly 1000 performances, and turned a profit--and was considered early on as a movie vehicle for Goldie Hawn and Liza. It's true that the original production didn't tour (probably partly due to the cost of the set,) and when the show did go to London it was in a non-Fosse, new staging (which may have been because his previous show, Pippin, which was a massive New York hit *was* a flop in London.) As for the minamilist revival, I do think it came at a time when people were more willing to accept the material (criminal as celeb, post OJ, bla bla,) but it has to be pointed out that Fosse's brilliant original production also felt--purposefully--more sleazy in general. Even looking at some of the chorus costumes in clips and photographs--staging it more as a costume distances the audience more. (Of course even Fosse was convinced to change his original staging of Razzle Dazzle from an orgy.)

9. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    So THAT'S where "Air-Otica" in All That Jazz came from. :D

Will Krupp likes this.
  10. Eric HG

Eric HG Auditioning

Ha perhaps, actually. Certainly the show shown in All That Jazz is a fictionalized version of Chicago and Chicago's investors were very uncomfortable with some parts... Air-Otica was also at one time (I *think* previous to its inclusion in All That Jazz,) meant to be a part of Fosse's big hit dance revue, Dancin', but backers objected to it there, too (which is bizarre considering The Ballet Barre and some other parts they allowed in the show.)

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Regarding the audio issue with this disc, I found the following posted over on DVDTalk.com's review of the disc:

MatthewA, Mark Walker and JohnMor like this.
  12. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Thanks Mike. That's good news.

Mark Walker likes this.
  13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I sent an e-mail...

Mark Walker likes this.
  14. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    Me, too. Thanks, Mike!

15. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I'm well aware of that and kind of fascinated by the idea. I'd love to see the original German version, although I wish I spoke more than a few words of the language. :)

16. Garysb

Garysb Producer

The Live from Lincoln Center version of "A Little Night Music" with Sally Anne Howe has never been released on video. It was live to the east coast back in the day. Its a shame PBS hasn't rebroadcast it or had the rights to release a DVD or blu ray of it. Also the much more recent live broadcast of South Pacific was not made available to collectors. A real shame. I wish they would do more shows like these even if we can only save them to our DVRs.

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

18. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    He'd be referring to the Lincoln Center revival from 2009/2010 or thereabouts.

Garysb likes this.
  19. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Yes, that version was a full production broadcast from Lincoln Center. The Reba/ Mitchell/ Baldwin show was a concert staging.

There was also a full production of Camelot with Gabriel Byrne around the same time. Not sure if that was ever released either.

20. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    That production of ALNM is on Youtube from a rather crummy video source, but it'd be great to have it on DVD.