1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Into The Woods (Stephen Sondheim) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    There are some really fun episodes like the flashback show where we see how Bette and Connie (Joanna's character) met... Joanna in 70's disco gear singing "Funky Mailbox" is so fun. And the one where they have a disastrous girls' night on the town and Connie asks Bette "Do you still have Claus Von Bulow's number, because I could use a little nap".

2. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned
    BANNED

EricJ
    I take it the series was aired a while ago. :rolleyes:

(Like, years before "Reversal of Fortune".)

3. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    "Bette" aired in 2000; "Reversal of Fortune" was released in 1990.

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    And the "You're weird/You have no idea" line in The Lion King was a reference to an identical exchange between Claus Von Bulow and his lawyer in Reversal of Fortune. Some people accused Disney of homophobia over that line, but I'm not buying it because of the presence of Nathan Lane and Elton John, who most likely would have walked off if they had been offended by it, not to mention the fact that Scar somehow had his own pride in Lion King II that never, ever got mentioned in the original.But Joanna Gleason has done successful TV series, too. She did some voice work on King of the Hill multiple times.

5. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    I remember getting into the sitcom "Love & War" after I found out that Joanna was in that too. She has that effect on me. I just love her.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Films/ videos are better than nothing, but. . .

1. Dancing in the conga line across the stage at Five Guys Named Moe.

2. Getting hit in the eye by Spidey's web shooter at Turn Off the Dark. (Fear not; the "web" was made of tissue paper with a tiny cardboard weight on the end. ;) )

3. Watching Spidey and the Green Goblin duke it out about eight feet directly above my head at the same. (Thank god those wires didn't fail!)

And, oh yeah. . .

4. Realizing that Into the Woods was not a one-act when the lights went down for the mind-blowing Act II. :)

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    I was looking for something to do one day when I saw a listing for a new Broadway show with music by Jim Steinman and based on the Roman Polanski cheeseball classic The Fearless Vampire Hunters, or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck. Oh yeah!!!

Oh no! :D Needless to say, Dance of the Vampires closed soon after (although the European productions have been hits).

I will never forget watching Michael Crawford, almost too fat to walk, singing Total Eclipse of the Heart. . . :eek: :eek: :lol:

Mark Walker likes this.
  8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    5. Getting your heinie handed to you by Patti LuPone for using a cell.

6. Waiting outside the stage door to get an autograph.

Aaron Silverman and Mark Walker like this.
  9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Ooh, that reminds me of when I met Sebastian Bach after a performance of Jekyll & Hyde (a woman in the lobby as we were leaving remarked "That was more like Hyde & Hyde!"). There was a *huge* crowd across the street waiting to meet Kelsey Grammer, as it was the closing night of his MacBeth, and about a dozen of us waiting to greet Baz. I said to him "last time I saw you, you were opening for Aerosmith and got banned from the Springfield Civic Center for throwing a beer bottle at somebody in the audience -- now this!" He was really friendly and happy to sign the old Skid Row LPs and photos that people had brought.

I've never been yelled at by Patti LuPone. :)

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Loved Bach's story arc on The Gilmore Girls! :D

I wonder if Stephen Sondheim watched The Gilmore Girls...? :laugh:

My copy of the Into the Woods Blu was dutifully delivered yesterday (I decided to keep the pre-order alive after all), I'll try to give it a quick look soon so I can give some kind of report here.

Mark Walker likes this.
  11. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    7. Getting to meet Kate Monster of Avenue Q.

[​IMG]

Mark Walker and MatthewA like this.
  12. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Got my copy last night.Haven't had a chance to watch all of it yet (too many discs arrived yesterday).Did some A/B comparisons against the original DVD (in two different Blu-Ray players). The new version looks a whole lot better than the up-converted DVD.Is it as good as a native HD picture? Of course not. But it is a very pleasing picture (IMO - on my 55 inch LED).I think it was a worthwhile upgrade.

13. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I agree. I watched it all the way through last night. My A/B comparison showed the dvd seems to have been smoothed out a bit, and the colors are a tad bit duller than the blu. But I did think the whites and blacks bloomed a slight bit more on the blu, but not distractingly so. The sound was better on the blu as well. Although the sound on the dvd was louder (and better than I remembered), it seemed slightly distorted on the high and low ends compared to the blu. Glad I got it, but I doubt it's enough for the average fan if they already own the dvd.

On a side note, watching it again for the first time since I bought the dvd when it first came out made me realize that while I love the score and the cast, I really dislike the direction and the musical staging. And Bernadette, who I ADORE, seemed slightly off in her performance. Not vocally, just in the acting. There's times it seems more like a rehearsal than a performance.

Will Krupp likes this.
  14. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Mine showed up today along with Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. Rather than rehash an old transfer, Woods is linear PCM for sound and AVC for picture. It looks fine, perhaps as good as standard def material can.

Mark Walker and David Weicker like this.
  15. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    As I'd mentioned before, Ms Peters had been away from the show for some time before returning, almost exclusively, to reprise her performance for this taping. Maybe she needed a bit more time to get back into "synch" with the role.

16. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Dance of the Vampires is the zircon standard of recent musical flops. Consider yourself fortunate to have seen it, as most are boring-bad, rather than fun-bad.I also saw the original Broadway production of Into the Woods and will add to the praise for Joanna Gleason. Amy Adams, who I adore, just didn't bring it in Central Park a couple of years ago, and I have doubts about Emily Blunt, too, though hoping for the best. I hear it's a fine adaptation.

Aaron Silverman and Will Krupp like this.
  17. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    I was excited to learn that Amy Adams had been cast as the Baker's Wife for that Central Park production - sadly it just didn't seem to 'click' for her - although on paper the role was perfect for her. It's a harder role to nail than you'd imagine, and probably the hardest part in the entire piece to master. Joanna Gleason left a helluva big pair of shoes to fill. I wish Emily Blunt well, and hope for the best.

18. Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor Stunt Coordinator

Malcolm Blackmoor
    Just for the record, as this has nothing to do with films, but TANZ DER VAMPYR, which I saw in Vienna, has been a great success throughout Europe over many years.

I'm sure that the NY version was as bad as indicated but I believe that to be largely the fault of the meglomanical leading man demanding changes that built up his part. He couldn't possibly sing it the way it was done over the years of European success (and on the CDs by the late Steve Barton) and the unfortunate result of all the tampering was Broadway disaster, ensuring that no American or English management will ever touch it again.

I loved it in Vienna and sometimes play and enjoy the recording. A straight transfer of the then existing Austrian/German productions would have been a knockout.

19. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

I'd love to see the Polanski-approved version of it. He's very supportive of the show and keeps a hand in when it opens in European venues.

20. johnmn

johnmn Extra

John
    Yes, the Blu-ray LOOKS better than the DVD, but listen again, maybe through headphones: unlike the DVD, which has excellent, nicely directional stereo sound, the Blu-ray's audio is MONO! Image Entertainment is notorious for making this error in remastering older titles; the 1925 Phantom of the Opera was mistakenly released with mono audio, even though the case clearly stated that the soundtrack choices were stereo. Producer/restorer David Shepard discovered the error and tried to get Image to issue a recall, but no dice...though they eventually did initiate a (barely advertised) disc-replacement program. Image has made the same error with a number of reissued opera Blu-rays. (In every instance, the outer case clearly states that the audio is "stereo," but it is not...though the replacement Phantom discs ARE stereo.)

If you doubt my word, just listen first to a minute or two from the Blu-ray (preferably with headphones), and then find the same minute or two from the DVD. The difference is unmistakable: mono vs. excellent stereo. I have already received a return-mail label from Amazon, and they are refunding my money; I am not interested in a mono upconverted "Into the Woods" when I have a good stereo DVD.