What's new

Into The Woods (Stephen Sondheim) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
And
David Weicker said:
Besides audio improvements, there can be video improvements by going to Blu-Ray.Files can be presented with less to no compression - depending on the codec chosen. A standardized up-convert can be done (rather than relying on each person's differing hardware). Remastering/authoring can be done using 2014 (instead of 80's) technology.So, while the results will in no way approach what can be done with film, it might be a better presentation than the current DVD.
And, as someone who never bought the DVD, I would rather have it on Blu-ray if for no other reason than Blu-ray is more scratch resistant.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I will be curious to see how this comes out. . .I verrrrry rarely double-dip on anything, but if they somehow manage to improve noticeably on the DVD, this is a show worth the upgrade.

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Thanks, Chuck, for the good explanation regarding a standard-def, old-school 1986 or 1987 being released on Blu-ray. I wasn't "getting" it. Hopefully they're not going to crop it and will display it in the "square" 4:3 format. The sound should definitely be better on Blu-ray.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Have any early high definition recordings made it to Blu Ray yet? (I know a few concerts were shot that way, and at least one feature film in the 80's/90's.) How good could they look?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Mark Walker said:
And

And, as someone who never bought the DVD, I would rather have it on Blu-ray if for no other reason than Blu-ray is more scratch resistant.
Also as of this writing Amazon is selling the DVD and blu ray for the same price, $17.49. If you haven't bought it yet go with the blu ray.

I can't think of any video taped shows from early years that have made it to blu ray None of the Norman Lear sitcoms have, nor have the 1960's Barbra Streisand or Fred Astaire specials, or the Johnny Carson Tonight Shows to name a few.
Also no shows that were film but transferred to tape have made it if only the tape still survives. Star Trek TNG they were able to find most of the original film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
woods.jpeg

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The cover is nice as far as images go, but definitely misleading.
A cover based on something more like the image below would have been better:
tumblr_mczdd8ZLVH1rc22qso1_1280.jpg

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Garysb said:
Also as of this writing Amazon is selling the DVD and blu ray for the same price, $17.49. If you haven't bought it yet go with the blu ray.

I can't think of any video taped shows from early years that have made it to blu ray None of the Norman Lear sitcoms have, nor have the 1960's Barbra Streisand or Fred Astaire specials, or the Johnny Carson Tonight Shows to name a few.
Also no shows that were film but transferred to tape have made it if only the tape still survives. Star Trek TNG they were able to find most of the original film.
The 6 taped episodes of the original Twilight Zone are on Blu-ray with the rest of the series.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Mark Walker said:
The cover is nice as far as images go, but definitely misleading.
A cover based on something more like the image below would have been better:
tumblr_mczdd8ZLVH1rc22qso1_1280.jpg
Ah yes, the original Broadway poster, as shaped for CD!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
They don't even show the lyrical poetry in the trailer. Meryl Streep says "You wish to have the curse reversed..." Then leaves it hanging. Anyone who knows the score can tell you the rest of the phrase..."I'll need a certain potion first."

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Thomas T said:
Off topic sort of, but has anybody seen the trailer for the film version of Into The Woods? There's not a single clue that it's a musical. It's as if they're trying to keep it hidden!
They did the same with Sweeney Todd. Not sure why they think that really accomplishes anything.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They've been doing at least as far back as the 1990s. I can still remember CBS's promos for the TV version of Gypsy; pseudo-dramatic stock music playing over scenes of Bette Midler getting angry, and no clips of singing or dancing.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Let's face it. Musicals are a tough sell. Those who know it is a musical will go because they/we are die hards. The idea is to "trick" others into going and hope they like it. That's the reality of the marketplace. I can see it for what it is, but if it helps to get more musicals made, I can live with it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Personal experience has taught me to never ever pre-order anything. I always wait for the reviews to come in first before I commit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks