Into the west

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Mikel_Cooperman, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I was surprised when doing a search that there wasn't one for the Upcoming Miniseries, Into the West.

This decades Lonesome Dove?

I haven't really read much about it and haven't seen reviews yet.
    Does anyone plan on watching this and has anyone heard any buzz about it?

2. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Except for an article in this months issue of Satellite Direct, I hadn't heard a thing about "Into The West". However, it sounds like it could be great so I've got my Tivo all programmned.

3. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

When does it start?

4. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

It starts this Friday,and runs for 6 weeks. It is also replayed on Sat. and Sun.

Tivo season pass is set.

5. Wendy_L

Wendy_L Supporting Actor

It looks like each "episode" is 2 hrs. I'll save it on DVD and watch it later.

6. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

The promos for Into the West kind of remind me of the 1978 mini-series Centennial (why isn't that on DVD yet?) which I realy liked when I was a kid. I may be completely wrong but that's what I am reminded of. Anyway, I am looking forward to checking it out this Friday night.

7. Hector.B

Hector.B Stunt Coordinator

Will this be broadcast in HD?

8. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

Yes it will be in HD on TNT-HD.

9. Hector.B

Hector.B Stunt Coordinator

Sweet! I'll be getting my comcast hd receiver next wednesday, guess I'll have to catch this week's ep in SD. Thanks KevinJ

10. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Here's a pretty good article I saw the other day. Denver Post

Of course there is also a website.

11. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Is there really no feedback on this excellent show? I find that very surprising. I watched the first epiode and was blown away, I thought it was excellent. I can't wait to watch it tonight. Drives me nuts that DircTv doesn't have TNT-HD! [​IMG]

12. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Good episode.

With 2 hours for each part, there's a lot of time for development, so naturally it's got its dull patches and some exciting ones. I can't really pick out much in terms of standout moments since there's a lot that happens in each episode. It did seem that everything would happen when I wasn't paying attention. At one point just about everyone is wiped out and I'm sitting there thinking "what just happened?! this has got to be a dream sequence!"

From the first part, the bit with Jacob fighting for the Indian woman caught my attention. After watching the second, I guess I'm interested in seeing him get back to his family. This episode did seem to have quite a bit of filler. Like the Lakota Indians that wanted to go modern only to come back at the end and say never mind. Also interested in where the Keri Russell storyline is going or if they'll continue with that at all.

I'm also surprised there's so little discussion. I thought it was fairly well hyped since it's known as Steven Spielberg's frontier minisereies.

I'm a little thrown off by the show's structure. I was looking forward to Christian Kane in this (Lindsey from "Angel") so I found out through the show's website that he plays a future Wheeler. Based on that, I was expecting a multi-generational story like with Spielberg's "Taken", but with the first three episodes centered around the same characters, I guess this is how it'll stay.

Also, I'm hoping they somehow bring back Alan Tudyk who played Nathan for a few scenes in the first part.
    I know he's supposed to be the father of Christian Kane's character, but I kinda doubt he'll be back considering that detail

13. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

it's ok, but nothing special. in structure and execution, it reminds me of North and South, or The Bastard, but just not as well done as those. too derivative, the characters aren't that compelling, the script just seeming to hop from plot point to plot point with no connective theme or continuity. let's demonstrate how dangerous the journey is. kill the young black kid. cut, kill off the younger sister in a river crossing. cut, but let's add a little happiness just to make the next tragedy more meaningful, and marry the two older sisters. cut, now, one of them loses her leg and then dies in a wagon accident. cut, now the young black girl gets cholera, cut, they get better, but the rest of the train is wiped out, the last sister kidnapped.
    predictable, unimaginative, and derivative.

it's like watching the version of North and South that's shown on basic cable once in a while now, where it's edited and condensed down so much it's like a Cliff Notes version. many of the same flaws shared by Taken, as well.

there's some nice scenery, a few decent moments, but just uninvolving overall. i'm kinda disappointed, as after Band of Brothers, i expected big things from Matthew Settle, but he's just a blank slate. can't see it improving much, as nothing has really caused me to get to know or care about these characters much, and so doubt if the change to different actors portraying them, and new characters being their descendents is gonna help that much.

14. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    I was kinda’ wondering how much historical accuracy the series has. My eleven year old son was asking me questions and I wasn't certain how to answer.

15. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    It did provoke a humorous moment in my house:

My sis-in-law arrived from NYC on Thursday for her annual month-ling visit (actually, I like her quite a bit, so it's ok) and she griped for about 45 minutes about her flight (crammed in the back of the plane, near a crying baby, etc.).

We watched the 2nd episode, with the wagon train and its travails (as RobertW so nicely summed up above), and she commented, "On second thought, my flight wasn't so bad."

16. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

We're still watching and enjoying it. I don't get excited to see it every week, but it's a nice summer diversion.

Felicity pretty much ripped me out of the story. It's bad casting to have such an everyday well known face.

I understand the authenticity is VERY good, for the poster that asked that question earlier.

It's a historical drama heavy on history IMHO.

My biggest gripe is that there is so much ground to cover (pun intended) that I don't feel like I get to know the characters enough to care very much about them, but the history lesson, cinematoghraphy, locations and costumes are great.

17. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

Anyone still watching? I am and while I do not think it is a classic, I am enjoying it.

18. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    I just started watching, I actually watched all 4 episodes this past weekend.

I enjoyed it at look forward to next week. I'll agree that there is much being covered, but I do find myself attached to many of the primary characters.

I too am surprised that there isn't more discussion

19. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Ivan: Agreed, it's good but not a classic!

If I didn't have a Pany DVD-R w/HD (skip commericals [​IMG]), I wouldn't have gotten this far.